332     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 748     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am completely puzzled by kbdid's choice.

A sensible "lefty" would choose Soknacki over Tory. I would put Chow first, then Soknacki second. Tory has quite a social conservative streak, with regards to his views on funding faith-based schools a few years back. Soknacki is a very sensible candidate.

If and only if both Soknacki and Stintz were to drop out, I may have Tory as a choice.

Last edited:
Ford has largely been able to control the dialogue of late: he's for the poor, he only smoked crack that one time, he works hard every day, etc. Just found a blog post by someone who essentially feels that Ford has been victimized by people for doing what regular folk do every day.

We need to keep hitting the fact that this guy gets away with things you or I never could: he gets drunk at Steak Queen on a MONDAY, then doesn't show up to work the next day til after 2 with no explanation.

We need to reply to his simple slogans with simple slogans that are closer to the truth.

So when he says "fancy streetcars", we say "above-ground subways" or somesuch.

When he says he's for the poor in community housing, we ask him why he votes against them.

His lies are catchy. We have to come back swinging with catchier truths.

I think this article also applies to the pro-Ford people at this point. If they're still with him after all the information that's come out, they're probably too far gone to reach.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/02/vaccine-denial-psychology-backfire-effect

Are the Fords actually still running a campaign?

reporterdonpeat 11:10pm via HootSuite
“I don’t know what they’ve been smoking" Doug Ford on polls showing Olivia Chow beats Rob Ford in Etobicoke.

Are the Fords actually still running a campaign?

reporterdonpeat 11:10pm via HootSuite
“I don’t know what they’ve been smoking" Doug Ford on polls showing Olivia Chow beats Rob Ford in Etobicoke.

I love when their cliches bite them in the ass.

You know, I kinda loved what Layton and Chow stood for, but never really liked them individually. She seems kinda "meh" to me, and some of the stuff coming out of her book is even more "meh". Of course she may win because she's the anti Ford. I'd like to see another "lefty" in the race. Truth be told, although I'm a "lefty" in the large scheme, I'd like to see a reasonable person in municipal politics, so I'm probably going Tory unless there's another candidate (and there's lots of time).

That's fine, as long as you realize it makes no sense whatsoever.

"I'm a lefty, so I want another lefty in the race to split the left vote so a righty gets in, and the NDP woman who I agree with doesn't float my boat, so I will vote for the boring rich conservative white dude I don't agree with."

Edit - sorry, I posted before seeing the stern word from the moderator.

Last edited:
I think this article also applies to the pro-Ford people at this point. If they're still with him after all the information that's come out, they're probably too far gone to reach.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/02/vaccine-denial-psychology-backfire-effect

Good article. I think the approach with these people is all wrong though. You can't argue facts with them because they don't trust the message. What seems to work better in my experience is mockery. Humour has long been a good tool for making people rethink their ideas. Lenny Bruce, George Carlin and today Doug Stanhope and Jim Jefferies, Jon Stewart - all these people seem to gain more trust and converts than any news anchor or government official.

Good article. I think the approach with these people is all wrong though. You can't argue facts with them because they don't trust the message. What seems to work better in my experience is mockery. Humour has long been a good tool for making people rethink their ideas. Lenny Bruce, George Carlin and today Doug Stanhope and Jim Jefferies, Jon Stewart - all these people seem to gain more trust and converts than any news anchor or government official.

That makes sense, but one thing I've noticed about a lot of Ford supporters is that they're VERY sensitive about seeing either Ford or themselves made fun of. Humour generally isn't their strong suit.

I'm going back through the thread and just hit this:

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/307757/mayor-ford-premier-mcguinty-police-chief-talk-gun-violence/

'“I’m going to go in there, I’m going to ask for 5 to 10 million dollars and I want to be able to give that to Chief Blair and tell chief ‘Go hire police officers and let’s get this city cleaned up and let’s start getting these gangs and guns off the street and let’s stop all the rhetoric and small talk.”'

After rejecting free money for gang prevention too. I can't even imagine the justifications that must rattle around in this guy's brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back