438     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 963     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Why won't police discuss the case on the record and dismiss any link between Smith's shooting and the video? The only people quoted in stories are "neighbourhood sources". If that case is a wrap then they should be able to freely speak about it. If that were more open about it they could quash all of this speculation.

My guess is that either they haven't ruled out a link, or they don't want to ... and because the video has not made its way before the courts?

- How come Ford was comfortable partying with the Somali dealers in April if they were trying to extort him in March? Given the extent he went to lie and cover up the scandal I don't buy that he was casually negotiating the blackmail with those guys while still partying with them. There must've been another broker he was dealing with. Was that Smith? Locals say that despite his friends Smith wasn't involved in the drug trade. He actually wanted to be a youth worker. Perhaps he had the same motivation to expose Ford as Mo did.

This may sound glib but, really, I just assumed it's because he's stupid. I mean, these are the guys he paid off for his cell phone but he got it back and they got their pot, so no harm-no foul, right? Besides, Ford was obviously down with these guys, doing stuff in his pal's basement etc. It's not like he's just some guy on the street who can get hooked up with someone else.

If you look at how utterly incapable he is of understanding how Kimmel and all those people taking selfies with him are mocking him, it's easy to understand how he also thought a bunch of drug dealers who extorted him are his pals....

Some of those other questions are a bit tough....I tend to agree with the notion Smith wasn't killed FOR the video but that doesn't mean it wasn't a factor in any way. Ford and Lisi could have been trading calls because, video aside, Lisi wanted Ford to know one of their homies was shot so he should lay low or whatever. They could have been trading calls just because he was in their circle and they wanted to make sure Ford was in the clear etc.

Anyone here ever done the Rob Ford crack scandal tour around Etobicoke? Not necessarily that bus tour but driven to all of the hot spots? I admit, I had to check out 15 Windsor for myself. I tried to discretely take a selfie in front of it but I'd never done it before so couldn't get the right angle. I guess I really stood out as Elena popped her head out the door. She sees me and comes out onto her porch flailing her arms around telling me off. She definitely appeared to be on something. Can't blame her for being annoyed though. I bet there are people checking out her place every day.

I was in the area a few weeks ago and parked out front. It was a strange sensation!

This may sound glib but, really, I just assumed it's because he's stupid. I mean, these are the guys he paid off for his cell phone but he got it back and they got their pot, so no harm-no foul, right? Besides, Ford was obviously down with these guys, doing stuff in his pal's basement etc. It's not like he's just some guy on the street who can get hooked up with someone else.

I assumed that his crack came via the Bassos. Rob was in their basement. Rob needed crack. The Bassos called the only dealer they knew. Rob should have known better, but hey - he was on crack at the time.

Anyone here ever done the Rob Ford crack scandal tour around Etobicoke? Not necessarily that bus tour but driven to all of the hot spots? I admit, I had to check out 15 Windsor for myself. I tried to discretely take a selfie in front of it but I'd never done it before so couldn't get the right angle. I guess I really stood out as Elena popped her head out the door. She sees me and comes out onto her porch flailing her arms around telling me off. She definitely appeared to be on something. Can't blame her for being annoyed though. I bet there are people checking out her place every day.
I'm guessing your experience looked like this:
http://wpmedia.news.nationalpost.com/2013/10/pjt-15windsor-5.jpg?w=620
I've been meaning to check out the various locations one of these days. The list keeps getting longer and longer.

Last edited:
Mayor Rob Ford's re-election campaign is moving forward, one selfie at a time
http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-01-...ction-campaign-moving-forward-one-selfie-time

"Torontonians relate to him because he’s real, and he’s honest — or if he’s not honest, he’s real about it.

It’s a deceptively clever tactic, according to Myer Siemiatycki, a politics professor at Ryerson University.

“This is re-writing the rule book as to how you run an election campaign. He does not tell the media about his whereabouts, not wanting to be within their reach and scrutiny. Instead, he wants to present himself as this massively popular, attractive political public figure who the people of Toronto just can’t get enough of,” he says.

Siemiatycki suspects Ford is hoping the multiplying effect of social media will work in his favour. People tweet photos of themselves with the mayor, and the pics go viral. They show the mayor smiling with regular people, happy to be seen with him. It’s free, uncritical publicity.

“It’s almost ingenious. It’s an attempt to very much control how he is perceived and what image of himself is portrayed,” he adds.

Last edited:
Mayor Rob Ford's re-election campaign is moving forward, one selfie at a time
http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-01-...ction-campaign-moving-forward-one-selfie-time

"Torontonians relate to him because he’s real, and he’s honest — or if he’s not honest, he’s real about it.

It’s a deceptively clever tactic, according to Myer Siemiatycki, a politics professor at Ryerson University.

“This is re-writing the rule book as to how you run an election campaign. He does not tell the media about his whereabouts, not wanting to be within their reach and scrutiny. Instead, he wants to present himself as this massively popular, attractive political public figure who the people of Toronto just can’t get enough of,†he says.

Siemiatycki suspects Ford is hoping the multiplying effect of social media will work in his favour. People tweet photos of themselves with the mayor, and the pics go viral. They show the mayor smiling with regular people, happy to be seen with him. It’s free, uncritical publicity.

“It’s almost ingenious. It’s an attempt to very much control how he is perceived and what image of himself is portrayed,†he adds.
In school, I remember seeing a documentary about political corruption and 'controlling the image'. There was a section on Ronald Reagan. His handlers didn't knw how to control his message, since RR was so dumb and couldn't speak at length intelligently. Then they came up with the idea of just using images. They just got RR to pose, smiling with babies, and saying very little. I guess Rf is using the same tactic by default. But he doesn't have any handlers besides Doug. And Doug isn't the 'smart one'. Rf is just getting attention now, because the others haven't really started yet. He is going to get left in the dust (through an ineffective campaign, through the police investigation, and through his own stupidities) by summer.

Natalie Alcoba ‏@nataliealcoba 50m
Mayor Ford, meanwhile, is back inspecting buildings today. 2 on agenda, first at Yonge and Bloor, then Vic Park and St. Clair

I wonder if RF is also using these tower visits to establish relations with 'customers', so that he can gain some 'contributions' by exchanging magnets and other campaign 'packages'?
He could be widening his base of constituent support and his base of (substance using) customer support.

The weirdest part about the Smith story is that his connection to the whole thing has never been explained. We still don't know who shot the video, whose phone it was on, or why Smith was in that photograph.

Also, stealing Smith's phone during the shooting: that is weird. You have a beef with someone, they end up dead, you GTFO. You don't stop to grab their phone, which in any case directly connects you to the murder.

Mo trying to sell the video being stupid, well, he had no reason to believe that anyone outside their circle knew about the video or where it came from (if it deed indeed come from Smith's phone).

I am still unconvinced that Smith was killed *for* the phone but I think he is tied up in this in ways we don't yet understand. It's quite possible that he was killed because of a pre-existing beef AND he had the video on his phone, and they knew it, and took it.

The EXIF data on the crack video will tell which phone, phone number, time and date the video was taken. That will be all that is needed to tie the owner to the phone.

He won his first campaign with his personal 311 touch.

Actually, according to Crazy Town, that door-to-door campaigning was Doug's strategy in 2010 (along with covering the city with Deco-generated signage). It worked for RoFo when going for councillor in Etobicoke. When Kouvalis came in, he was dumbfounded that this was the Ford's main strategy. The City is so huge that relying primarily on a "ground game" is ridiculous.

The EXIF data on the crack video will tell which phone, phone number, time and date the video was taken. That will be all that is needed to tie the owner to the phone.

The track header atom in an MPEG file contains EXIF data but does not contain a field for IMEI number or phone number, unless the device specifically put it there in a comments section which I don't believe the iPhone does.

Time, date, even location if location services are enabled for the camera, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back