News   Jul 08, 2024
 463     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.2K     7 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
a story from a friend last night:

he and his girlfriend were looking at getting a short term rental in the high park area for some family members that would be visiting from out of country. the landlord that was showing them the, horrible, dirty, unrentable, space started going off on a pro Ford rant but then caught himself and told them of the last time he did this - a woman who had already put down a 1000 dollar deposit told him that he was a disgusting human being for supporting Ford and she, willingly, forfeited her deposit so as not to be under the same roof as him!
Ford is tearing this city apart.

oh, I should also add that the landlord was wondering if the proposed renters would be cooking any strange food - because the last tenants were Iranian and he would have to charge them more if they cooked anything "smelly" like them.
a real piece of work.
Ford Nation in action.

She's been writing a book.

If it is a pro-Ford book, she's even more delusional than I thought. Seriously, who is going to read that book? The average Ford Nationalist is pretty much functionally illiterate, as evidenced by 90% of the pro-Ford comments on the various newspaper sites. Does she think those people are going to buy that book? Books are for elite snobs.

Last edited:
Let's be honest now. How many of us actually know Ford supporters IRL? Maybe I, at 24, run a bit young for this forum, but I can honestly say I don't know a single person who supports Rob Ford. Not a single one. And I'm not some 'downtown elitist', I grew up in the burbs, spent like 6 years in Kitchener, and now live midtown. I'm not lying when I say that none of the many dozens of people I know in Toronto support him. People from all walks of life.

I'm in my mid 30's and live downtown. The only Ford supporter I know in real life is an old high school acquaintance - he's white, under employed, lives with his parents and has a burning anger at the world for ruining his life - specifically liberals, Liberals, unions, teachers, immigrants, the "elites" and of course downtown Toronto. He thinks Ford is the "best Mayor Toronto has ever had in my lifetime". He doesn't actually live in Toronto and we're no longer Facebook Friends because my Ford comments got me "unfriended'.

Books are for elite snobs.
Not really. Those wrestling biographies several years back were major sellers. And elite snobs are probably busier now keeping up with the latest Apple product than keeping bookstores alive. Some of our characterizations of the suburbs or conservative voters justifies some of the "elite" rhetoric, even if we can't exactly figure out who the elite are.

CNN on: Mayor Ford gets ticket, denies drinking

[video=youtube;ifbmt_GLVDc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifbmt_GLVDc[/video]

However, if any cabbie started talking about women on the street he wanted to f*¢k, I would get out right there without paying! The difference, I guess, with being a female passenger.

I am a man so I didn't exactly feel threatened, just felt like it was a very strong departure from the image of the hard-working family man proud of his son that I had built up in the past 15-20 minutes. It's quite unsophisticated and gauche to say such things especially around strangers. But cab fare theft is still theft and this man wasn't pulling any tricks on me with the route that he took, so I simply gave him a lesser tip than the generous one I normally give.

I don't even want to judge the guy too harshly, lots of people talk like that among friends and I guess he considered me a friend now, I don't know. It was just strange.

I think a pro-Rob ford book would be as popular as the Sarah Palin documentary Undefeated. Released when she was still wildly popular, the film took in only $116,381 in total box office receipts, making it a huge failure, even by lowered documentary standards. Michael Moore's lowest performing doc made over a million, and his best is at one hundred & sixty million (adjusting for inflation).

This type of fan base prefers to show their support on television, I am guessing.

Also, Rob Ford can reinvigorate Canadian Literature!

[video=youtube;U9fJSy4A_bs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9fJSy4A_bs[/video]

If it is a pro-Ford book, she's even more delusional than I thought. Seriously, who is going to read that book? The average Ford Nationalist is pretty much functionally illiterate, as evidenced by 90% of the pro-Ford comments on the various newspaper sites. Does she think those people are going to buy that book? Books are for elite snobs.

I believe she described it sometimes as a "memoir," which I gathered had some pro-Ford stuff slathered in there. I'm not much of a betting man but I think it's fair to say that a) She won't get Random House to publish it, like Doolittle did b) It won't sell 1/10 what Crazy Town sells. As others have said, I don't get the sense his supporters are generally big readers; Warmington, they probably can handle. Anyone who loved Conrad Black so much they ran out to get one his books probably now uses it as a doorstop. Besides, if we're talking about a market outside Toronto, clearly a "What the heck is wrong with Ford?" book will sell better than a "why I think he's awesome" book.

Doolittle's timing is perfect. He'll be old news for people by the end of the year, especially outside the city.

Full-blown brain-rattling drug addiction is just so fun, edgy and entertaining to watch--right Toronto? It's a shame some of us still don't see the serious consequences of addiction...

Last edited:
What??? Was Ford also drinking from the flask? And isn't that what we did when we were 16-18 and didn't we do it out of sight?

I did not notice Ford drinking from the flask. Oddly, they don't seem to have shown the video again for some reason, or else I just missed it. Wasn't the most exciting thing ever, but I thought it illustrated his "I don't give a shit" attitude, in that he didn't immediately say "Jesus guys, put that away, don't you know the crap I'm dealing with?"

It's so weird---I can't find this video anywhere, but I definitely saw it on CP24 around 3 or 4 in the morning last night. It was broad daylight out side a building with Ford standing and talking with a few other guys in suits. Ford is smiling, and one of them pulls out a flask and starts drinking from it and (I think) passes it to one of the other guys. I could be mis-remembering that last part.

Did no one else see this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back