120     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 464     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.2K     7 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw video on CP24 of Rob hanging out in Vancouver with a bunch of guys in suits who were passing a flask around. Classy group of guys there.

Let's be honest now. How many of us actually know Ford supporters IRL? Maybe I, at 24, run a bit young for this forum, but I can honestly say I don't know a single person who supports Rob Ford. Not a single one. And I'm not some 'downtown elitist', I grew up in the burbs, spent like 6 years in Kitchener, and now live midtown. I'm not lying when I say that none of the many dozens of people I know in Toronto support him. People from all walks of life.

Where do you guys find Ford supporters?

My roommate and I have lived downtown most or all of our adult lives however we are both born and bred suburbanites. I work downtown (I don't know any Ford supporters anymore), he works at Yorkdale where he used to know a lot of Ford supporters, most of which finally got a grip when Ford admitted he smoked crack - that's when everything changed. My roommate says some people felt really betrayed and angry, others aren't engaged enough to really care and simply find him amusing now. I have an inkling that the media searches out Ford supporters and detractors when doing their street pieces and play a piece of each. The polling numbers confuse me though, perhaps it's in how they ask the questions?

So I wonder if Ford will be out tomorrow watching the Superbowl either in VanCity or Toronto? Could sparks fly twice in one weekend?

Only in T'ranna...

Karen Stintz blockades construction crew that took down trees

yesterday Karen Stintz was engaged in some political activism. But of course he actions were totally overshadowed because even when on the other side of the country, Ford got all the headlines.

Stintz cares a lot about ward issues and she's a great councillor, I'm lucky enough to live in her ward. She's pretty bad with big-picture thinking though as you saw with her flip-flopping on the subway issue, I wouldn't want her for mayor...

Ford support numbers are vastly over-rated, I think. People are definitely interested, but in a car crash kind of way. It's early on yet he's already in the flame-out phase of the campaign where people are just waiting to see what disturbing, disconnected or gross incident will happen next. It's a "dance, monkey, dance" strategy that will end up imploding because his addictive urge is to keep generating this negative PR. In the end he's pushing himself further towards real consequences.

So I say cue the campaign music and dance, monkey, dance.

Last edited:
Let's be honest now. How many of us actually know Ford supporters IRL? Maybe I, at 24, run a bit young for this forum, but I can honestly say I don't know a single person who supports Rob Ford. Not a single one. And I'm not some 'downtown elitist', I grew up in the burbs, spent like 6 years in Kitchener, and now live midtown. I'm not lying when I say that none of the many dozens of people I know in Toronto support him. People from all walks of life.

Where do you guys find Ford supporters?

I am (very) much older than you and, rather to my surprise, I have found that I have friends and family who voted for Ford last time. (Of course, I also know more people who didn't.) All those who voted for him last time now say 'why were we so stupid?" "Why did nobody tell us?" At least in my circle, his voter base seems to have disappeared but there are certainly still people one sees interviewed on TV saying "he's the best mayor ever"!

Cab drivers I have spoken with seem to support RF.

I live downtown. I think of the three people I've ever encountered who said anything supportive about Ford, two were cab drivers. One of them went on and on in a hilariously earnest way about how "democratic" Ford was going on the radio and letting people -- LITERALLY ANYONE WHO WANTED! -- phone in to ask questions or even criticize him. He said that would never have happened in the country he came from. It was a very short ride, and I didn't have the time or the heart to set him straight.

I'm slightly ashamed of the bubble I live in, but the only Ford supporters I have met are cab drivers. I attribute it to spending hour after hour accompanied only by talk radio.

Imagine how unbearable the flight from van to tor will be for those passengers near him who will have to listen to him talk to his tv while watching the superbowl. I wonder if he pays for 2 seats when he flies? A friend of mine who's overweight has to do that.

I was at a neighbourhood get-together last night and two Ford supporters were in attendance. One was a woman in her late 40's who I don't see picking up a newspaper or even surfing the net, the other an 80 y/o man who is also a devout believer several conspiracy theories. Also in attendance was a woman who grew up in the same 'hood as the Fords and all she had to say was that they've always been "bad news".

Was RoFo stopped on his way to the pub, or on his way back from it? Judging by photos making the rounds he would have had a hard time sounding "clear" to Joe W if the latter.

A quick Google suggests the pub and the hotel share the same address - so they would be on the same property. The news reports indicated he was ticketed outside the Shell Gas station across the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back