792     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 715     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 304     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of you recovered - congrats. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that you had friends who loved you enough to let you hit rock bottom so you could get back up?

It hurts on such a human, visceral level, for me to see people continually covering up for Rob Ford instead of letting him sink so he can get be helped and healed.

Actually, for me it wasn't a problem. I was psychologically, financially, socially, and personally sound. It was a week-end diversion sort of thing. You know, in the parlance of our dear "mayor", a personal time thing. The chemical that results from the combo of cocaine and alcohol is very toxic so I sort of let my self-respect take over.
I had a friend though....he didn't quite make it. He's still pretty useless to this day. The rest of us did just fine.

Last edited:
One of the funny things coming from Ford's statement today: "As you know, I'm a human". Really, Rob? Was there any doubt?

Yes there was, actually.

When he continued though, "...as are all of you." Now, that the reporters are human I never doubted.

I'm surprised with so few comments about his statement that what he does on his personal time is his business and not Toronto residents. He's wrong. He's already stated publicly on an American network news interview that thank goodness no major emergency happened while he was on a drunken bender. He's Mayor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week whether we like it or not. To have a beer or a glass of wine is one thing, to be intoxicated on whatever the hell he was on Monday night is quite another.

Going back to a post earlier today, we know he has anger management issues, whatever else may be psychologically wrong with him is unknown but can be debated. He is not bipolar, episodes don't come and go quickly like that.

On another matter, is there no place or room at City Hall where he can hold press conferences instead of in front of the space between the elevator and his office?

I'm surprised with so few comments about his statement that what he does on his personal time is his business and not Toronto residents. He's wrong. He's already stated publicly on an American network news interview that thank goodness no major emergency happened while he was on a drunken bender. He's Mayor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week whether we like it or not. To have a beer or a glass of wine is one thing, to be intoxicated on whatever the hell he was on Monday night is quite another.

Going back to a post earlier today, we know he has anger management issues, whatever else may be psychologically wrong with him is unknown but can be debated. He is not bipolar, episodes don't come and go quickly like that.

On another matter, is there no place or room at City Hall where he can hold press conferences instead of in front of the space between the elevator and his office?

We're numb to a lot of what he says, which is why there isn't much talk about it. It's like when the ice storm happened and he was nowhere to be found for the first half of the day. A good mayor would have been getting organized but nobody knew where he was. Obviously, nobody checked Steak Queen!

New poll shows Ford still riding high

A Forum Research poll provided exclusively to QMI Agency on Wednesday night found his approval rating is at 45% despite his public tumble off the wagon.

[...]

The number of those polled who say they would cast their vote for Ford in the next election sits at 37% -- down slightly from 41% two weeks ago. Around 57% said they won't vote for Ford this year and 6% said they don't know.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/23/new-poll-shows-ford-still-riding-high

Rob Ford’s lawyer says alcohol treatment ‘never hurt anybody’

“Let’s put it this way: Assistance would never hurt anybody who has a problem, right?” Mr. Morris said Wednesday when asked whether the mayor should consider formal treatment. “Whether in his case, I can’t comment. But, you know, someone offers go to AA or someone offers, ‘Come to this treatment program for three or four weeks,’ that’s never a negative. It’s always something that could be of assistance.”

Mr. Morris’s comments mark a shift from his previous remarks on the value of rehab for the Toronto mayor, who has said he quit drinking for good in November. In the past, Mr. Morris has said Mr. Ford is not an addict and has too high a profile for rehab while also casting doubt on the effectiveness of such programs

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...treatment-never-hurt-anybody/article16462327/

We're numb to a lot of what he says, which is why there isn't much talk about it. It's like when the ice storm happened and he was nowhere to be found for the first half of the day. A good mayor would have been getting organized but nobody knew where he was. Obviously, nobody checked Steak Queen!

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. I think that just goes without saying. It tooks a certain kind of balls to roll into work at 2:15pm, roll out by 4:30 and then get up there and talk about how, day in day out, no one is working harder than you for the taxpayers etc. But whatever part of the brain causes people shame and remorse is - and I'm not saying this glibly - not functioning in Rob Ford's brain.

It's not personal when you publicly declared you're never going to take another drink. If he'd said he was going to "really cut back," it would be harder to nail him for it. But then he says it's a "minor bump," but how is it a BUMP at all when you say you don't have a drinking problem and the cutting back is just a choice?

It's also not personal if either:
a) his city driver brought him there
b) he drove himself
...which seem to be the 2 main scenarios at play. He didnt' volunteer that he took a cab or one of his unseen friends was driving.

It's fun to pretend we're all Dr. Phil and diagnose whatever is "psychologically wrong" with him but clearly there's some narcissism and an addictive personality. I think the rest of it - the lying, the hyperbole, the inability to grasp facts or understand what he did wrong etc. - isn't so much a disorder as a low IQ put under the spotlight. I'm suspect the man wouldn't even cross into triple digits. In Alien3 (everyone remembers Alien3, right?) there's a guy called "85" because everyone found what his IQ was and they call him that to mock it. I suspect calling Ford "85" (give or take) or so wouldn't be totally off-base.

p.s. Great to see what a fine job campaign manager Doug Ford is doing already. Doesn't know WTF Rob is up to one day and absent the next. Given Batra's talk about how Rob would go off the grid during the last campaign, I don't see any signs Doug has a firmer grasp on it. If only there were some real pros who'd still work with them...

p.p.s. Also, can I just add that I love Lisi owns a Canada Goose and drives Range Rover and still lives with his parents? I guess Rob won't be friends with you if you're not living in your parents' basement?

Last edited:
Doug was just on 640. Said he sees the SQ incident as a small slip up. Says he's the last person who would be an enabler. Service above self. Bla bla bla bla. Check Dale or Peat's twitter feed for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back