1.9K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 634     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 960     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford needs to explain the whole MIA thing. State of emergency or not shouldn't be the question, but rather where was he and why could he not be reached for an extended period of time?

Ford needs to explain the whole MIA thing. State of emergency or not shouldn't be the question, but rather where was he and why could he not be reached for an extended period of time?

Absolutely. I would have a little more tolerance if something unexpected and unpredictable happened suddenly. But that's certainly not what happened with this storm.

By the way - Amin Massoudi disagrees with that narrative. So I guess we can either believe HIM or Robyn Doolittle's sources. :) I know where my money is.

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
20131223_robfordtoy.jpg

The more that RoFo becomes a popular cultural meme, the more that people could forget that he is a terrible mayor!

Luckily, this is not a real toy.

Edit to add: more merchanidse http://www.blogto.com/fashion_style/2013/12/the_best_and_worst_of_rob_ford_merch/
And yesterday, I saw someone had posted on twitter a t-shirt that read: It's not an emergency. It's a drunken stupor.

Attachments

• 20131223_robfordtoy.jpg
    20131223_robfordtoy.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
Baffling how some people think Ford acted appropriately. WOW. Handled this terribly.

BTW: State of Emergency = More Resources. So to tell me nothing would have changed is ridiculous.

Funny, the city and hydro are being derided for not preparing for an event we knew was coming well ahead of time, but somehow people are exempt from preparing. You'd think the fact that we live in a country with a significant number of months in the cold sprung up on us.

But the really selfish SOB's are the people politicizing an issue that would have no measurable effect, was not recommended by city staff, whom presumably are the experts, and wasn't pursued by any other Mayor in the region facing the same storm. But it's so much easier to whine about people needing help, while sitting online and bitching about the Mayor to be contrary despite him doing the right thing for once.

Actually no, the selfish SOB's are the ones comfortably going "heh you should have been utterly prepared for no heat or power for three days in frigid temperatures, granny! This is Canada."

You're not Picard. You're that [edited out] copy-Picard that tried to order the crew to fly the ship into a pulsar that one time while the real captain was off being studied by aliens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Baffling how some people think Ford acted appropriately. WOW. Handled this terribly.

BTW: State of Emergency = More Resources. So to tell me nothing would have changed is ridiculous.

My point exactly. But some on here feel it's better to act tough (or Ford dumb) and not declare a state of emergency. Whatever.

Actually no, the selfish SOB's are the ones comfortably going "heh you should have been utterly prepared for no heat or power for three days in frigid temperatures, granny! This is Canada."

Well said, or this SOB just happens to have a fireplace or be better prepared than others. Selfish right wing nutjob mentality.

Last edited by a moderator:
But it's so much easier to whine about people needing help, while sitting online...

I know for a fact that a non-zero number of thread contributors have taken in friends & family during this emergency, but I'm sure it's fun to sit online and whine about people sitting online.

...and bitching about the Mayor to be contrary despite him doing the right thing for once.

What, "nothing"?

You know actually it probably is best if Ford does nothing. It's when he does stuff that things generally go from bad to worse.

Of course he should have declared an emergency. Patients with dementia have been evacuated from long-term care homes with no power, and there's nowhere to put them. Desperately cold people are heating their homes with barbeques and gas ovens. 911 and emergency services swamped (of course it didn't help that the "Mayor" tweeted that people should call 911 to report downed power lines). Police stations which opened as warming centres are now themselves without power.

The question is: why not declare SoE?

Last edited:

So you think the province is holding back resources on this until Ford declares it an emergency against the advice of city staff?

So you think the province is holding back resources on this until Ford declares it an emergency against the advice of city staff?

The province is probably waiting for Ford to actually ask for help. Seems like he indirectly asked for help....3 days later. Ford completely misjudged the magnitude of this "catastrophe" and didn't want to ask the province for help when he really should have. But we got warming stations. Wohoo! Crisis averted! More resources means quicker progress and maybe we save some lives at the same time.

You're missing the point. If the mayor is telling the province "We don't need the extra resources, we're good over here" the province isn't going to do anything but tell him that they're at the ready if he needs help. Get it?

No, the province said they will provide all necessary resources. This was taken care of by DM Kelly since it was clear from the start that Ford would not declare a SOE to remain in power. They just bypassed him. Funny that now Ford himself just now on CP24 calls the situation a disaster. Just a little bit of rain right? A disaster not worthy of a SOE using his warped logic.

Prove it.

Not one single actual source says this to be true.

I'd like to hear exactly what COULD happen that's not happening due to Ford's refusal. I want to agree with you - I really do. The idea that Ford's ignorance and stubbornness is somehow harming the city and impeding the response plays right into the narrative of how much I despise the man. I've tried to find proof that it's true... but I can't. The facts are the city and province are working together and fully engaged in solving this problem and a declaration of emergency would change nothing.

Edward Keenan @thekeenanwire
Just so everyone knows: if declaring an emergency can help, the premier can do it herself. No requirement for her to wait on the mayor.

So do we get to hate Wynne for not declaring an emergency as well? Or just Rob Ford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back