4.5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 679     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one will be hearing from Peepers for a while.

Can't say I agree with that. he didn't engage in ad hominem attacks and was polite as far as internet forum life goes. I don't know why people felt the need to refute every post and keep replying endlessly. He didn't even spam with 10 posts a day or anything (at least not since I've been here). Strange rules here.

My dog has four legs, whiskers and a tail. My cat also has four legs, whiskers and a tail. Is my cat anything like a dog?

Yes, your cat, and dog are part of the same Order, and they share much more in common that what you've listed.

edit, you're probably trying to get at the fact that Hitler is/was guilty of atrocities, including genocide, and Ford is not. That's true, but again, the scope of my comparison was limited to their respective rises to power.

edit2, the point of the comparison was less Hitler vs. Ford, and more about the choices of the respective populations.

edit3, you are generally right about the fact that this comparison shouldn't have been brought up, as it distracts from real arguments, and conversation. For these reasons, I will happily concede.

Last edited:
Good luck to Dale. God knows it won't be pleasant, but it's something that needs to be done.

long strewn out court battle, keeping rob ford in media during election cycle.

True enough, but it's not as if that wouldn't have happened otherwise. And it's not necessarily publicity that's going to rebound to Ford's advantage. Yes, his diehard fanbase will support him no matter what, but less fanatical types might be less than impressed with a transparently self-serving liar attempting to smear an innocent man with as extreme an accusation as pedophilia just because he got in Ford's way. That is serious shit, and it deserves a serious response.

Can't say I agree with that. he didn't engage in ad hominem attacks and was polite as far as internet forum life goes. I don't know why people felt the need to refute every post and keep replying endlessly. He didn't even spam with 10 posts a day or anything (at least not since I've been here). Strange rules here.

It has nothing to do with strange rules and it isn't very surprising either. The fact is that a large percentage of UT users have absolutely no interest in discussing these issues or dealing with dissenting opinions. In fact, it goes a bit further than that: there is a huge contingent of users on this site that engage in troll-like behavior. However, since they're part of the majority in both behavior and opinion, someone of a dissenting opinion, no matter how polite or courteous, is a troll. Compare Peepers, who was always respectful, to some of the posters here wishing for Fords death, calling other names and engaging in ad hominem attacks: the former is banned and derided as a troll while the latter is ignored or encouraged

Anyone who supports Ford is deemed a troll on here simply by virtue of supporting Ford. Conversely, almost anyone that derides Ford, no matter how outlandish, extreme or vitriolic their opinions, is considered fine. This is why several anti-Ford posters have used insults, derogatory language (specifically when it comes to mental illness/handicaps), insane comparisons (Ford=Hitler), vitriolic opinions (Ford should be killed) and completely unsubstantiated gossip (Ford is conducting a child sex ring) and conspiracy theories (Peepers is Joe Warmington) without consequence.

I'm pretty sure I called this less than a week ago.

(In before I get banned and somebody says well, you didn't call that)

Users on Reddit are speculating that Ford could be charged criminally with defamatory libel, which carries a maximum five year prison sentence.

Users on Reddit are speculating that Ford could be charged criminally with defamatory libel, which carries a maximum five year prison sentence.
Would that involve the police/crown bringing charges independent of Daniel Dale, or as a result of Dale pursuing the matter?

No one will be hearing from Peepers for a while.
thank you. I'm all for fruitful debate and can respect those with opinions contrary to my own, but when we allow someone to drag it down to the Peepers level with indefensible lies and hyperbole, it cheapens all of us.

Long time reader, first time caller (hi everyone). Happy to see peepers go. Derailing the thread by defending what is clear and blatant harassment of women is no different than blatantly defending obvious racism. Freewheeling discussion is great but racism and sexism have no place here. Back to lurking for now. Thanks for listening.

Good for Daniel Dale. What Ford did the first time 'round was worthy of contempt, but to stupidly re-open it a number of years after the issue had faded was plain stupid. Then, to then 'triple lock down' on the same utter bulls%*t at harm to Dale's reputation are actions that deserve a lawsuit. Both brothers are as smug and certain of victory as always.
Personally, if this can't crucify Ford, I'd like to see it open the way for the people who have a plenty of hammers and nails - and some serious issues with those two.

Anyone who supports Ford is deemed a troll on here simply by virtue of supporting Ford.
cum hoc ergo propter hoc - a faulty assumption that correlation between two variables implies that one causes the other.

Ford supporters are not trolls by virtue of being Ford supporters - they are often exposed as trolls based on the lengths they must go to in order attempt to paint Ford in a positive light, or to deflect the issues, or just doing the drive-by sliming and sidestep we've see so recently.

I remember some months back, when debate shifted to a non-Ford topic in one of our periodic derailments, and I recall reading your logical, impassioned argument on the subject and thinking "Why can't he be that logical, intelligent and reasonable when it comes to the Fords?"

You're anything but stupid, CowboyLogic, you know exactly what you're doing when you do it. And when you're doing it, you are deliberately engaging in trollish behaviour.

To stand there now, clutching your pearls all aghast, is disingenuous at the very least.

Instead, engage in the issue, take responsibility for defending your remarks, and acknowledge we're all entitled to our own opinions, but not to our own "facts."

Last edited:
Daniel Dale

"I have served Rob Ford today with a libel notice, the first step in the process of pursuing a defamation lawsuit. I am also serving Vision TV, which twice broadcast Ford’s vile and defamatory remarks to Conrad Black even though their interview was filmed days before it aired."

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...ale_tells_us_why_hes_taking_legal_action.html

I think it's very important that Ford's cavalcade of lies be constantly challenged - I've been very disappointed in the broadcast "journalists" (read "talking-heads") who have let him continue to spew his fantasies unchallenged.

That said, I'm not sure how an ethical reporter can continue to cover someone with whom he is engaging in a lawsuit. Not that there have been a lot of consequences or acknowledgement of conflict of interest at city hall lately, but it does come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back