News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 694     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayor Rob Ford’s football club cut from league

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s fledgling youth football club has been suspended from its league for failing to pay required fees.

The collapse of the Rexdale Raiders marks an end, for now, of the mayor’s controversial coaching career, which included leaving meetings early at City Hall to coach practices and games, assigning football duties to his taxpayer-funded aides, and recruiting a man with a violent history to work with teenage players on the Raiders and on Mr. Ford’s former team at Don Bosco Catholic Secondary School.

The Ontario Minor Football League suspended the Raiders because the club failed to pay $1,950 in fees and fines, a violation of the league’s constitution, said the organization’s president Dan Ralph. He noted the Raiders were informed how much money was owed at the end of the summer football season. The league received a note in September from the club’s representative, Xhejsi (JC) Hasko, a junior aide in the mayor’s office, stating he was looking into getting the overdue payment covered. The league received no further response from the Raiders to its follow-up e-mails requesting payment, Mr. Ralph said. Neither Mr. Hasko nor the mayor’s office responded to requests for comment Friday.

The Ontario Minor Football League had planned to discuss the status of one of Mr. Ford’s coaches, Payman Aboodowleh, at its meeting last week, but the issue of Mr. Aboodowleh’s criminal past and suitability as a youth football coach never came up because of the Rexdale Raiders’ suspension.

I live in a co-op, and have since 1993.

"Housing co-ops are in every neighbourhood in the city. A co-op can be a medium size apartment building or townhouses. People who live in co-ops come from every walk of life. They are people with different backgrounds, varied incomes and sometimes they are people with special needs. These diverse and vibrant communities are the unique strength of housing co-ops.

There are 17,000 co-op units in the City of Toronto and York Region. Co-ops have both market units and subsidized units. Co-ops call units "market units" if the member is paying the full market price. "Subsidized units" are units where the member is paying only a portion of the full market price. The balance of the housing charge is paid by the subsidy program that the co-op works with.

At the present time, subsidized units are very hard to come by because waiting lists are very long." http://www.coophousing.com/about/about_housing.asp

What makes them work is the diversity of the members (not tenants) we all have a stake in what happens. A co-op is a community made up of people from different economic, nationalities skill sets and abilities.
We vote on housing charge increases, the budget etc. We also participate in the running of the co-op by being a part of a committee, board, or other activity that the co-op requires.
I currently pay market value for my unit. If I move out another market tenant will move in. There are a specific percentage of subsidized units. By paying market I am not taking a unit away from someone who can not pay full price.
It has been a wonderful environment to raise a family.
It is not Toronto Housing.

The standard troll on this front hates you, leftie limp-wristed shiriker of all proper adult taxpayer responsibilities, more than he makes any judgement of Ford. The troll supports Ford because of his belligerence and lack of polish, because he is spit in your eye. That troll lives off dismissing you as a bike-riding hippie 'artist' living either on welfare or in your parent's basement. Peepers, to his credit, doesn't do that. Seems he's a junkie for political outrage, and gets much of his fix from talk radio and Sun TV. He's said before that he's a fan of Ezra Levant. That's enough right there to screw up someone's thought processes. Peepers is just so confused - he wants to back Ford for some reason, but he hates Bill Blair so much, and the biggest stick to use against Blair is his failure to make anything stick to Ford. No place to plant his feet, he spins off into strange orbits sometimes.

So McConnell - who makes over $100,000 a year and her husband (how much does he make?) were living in a co-op - i.e. government supported housing intended for low income people!

What has a co-op got to do with government-supported housing intended for low income?

Mountain Equipment Co-op is a co-op. Does that mean that you are supposed to only shop there if you are low-income?

Co-ops are typically privately owned. It has nothing to do with the government.

You are completely ignorant about the things you are talking about, and you look like a fool.

Last edited:
Peepers may not be a troll in the classic sense of being deliberately disruptive, but he's either obtuse to the point of near sociopathy, or he's simply dishonest as hell. Or both. Either way, he's not arguing in good faith.

By her own admission she was given first dibs on a condo unit before it went on sale to the general public because she was part of some special "insider" club (I believe that was the term used).

Now people will say "big deal" - this is how all condos are sold - the first buyers are always given a special deal as risk-takers but lets remember One Cole was unlike any other condo project in that the building was close to completion before it ever went on sale. There was no upfront risk for the buyers!

It was thanks to a deal with the city that the developer was able to build the condo tower before putting the units on sale (normally 60% of a project must be sold before a shovel goes in the ground).

It was a unique and very special opportunity therefore for the select group of "insiders" who were given first shot - and lo and behold look who wound up with one of the most coveted units in the building - the local Councillor who pushed for and voted in favor of the special arrangement between the developer and the city!

The integrity commissioner investigated and found no wrongdoing. There is no allegation that what took place was illegal but I think it stinks still the same!

Found this report on the Regent Park Condos http://www.danielshomes.ca/images/news/regent-park-news-01.pdf

It outlines what is referred to as the "Inner Circle" which I assume is what Peepers is referring to as the "insider" club. It turns out that membership in the Inner Circle was open to any member of the public. It is a commonly used marketing tool for condominium sales. Further reading of this report indicates that there was a concern for the financial viability of the development because of the economic meltdown in 2008. Executives (and I assume also councillor McConnell) were actually helping to keep the development financially viable by committing to buy units. According to the report none of these purchasers received any special deal that was not obtainable to members of the general public.

Edit: I see now that blearghhh and dt_toronto_geek have already done a great job of refuting Peepers assertion that McConnell did anything wrong here. When I read that this was really just a smear job by Sue Ann Levy and the Toronto Sun all I could think was "'nuff said".

Last edited:
Peepers may not be a troll in the classic sense of being deliberately disruptive, but he's either obtuse to the point of near sociopathy, or he's simply dishonest as hell. Or both. Either way, he's not arguing in good faith.

The easiest way to deal with him is to put him on one's Ignore list. In general I do not like to do this as one ought to listen to all points of view but Peepers is so repetitive that I have, long ago, tuned out and turned off.

So McConnell - who makes over $100,000 a year and her husband (how much does he make?) were living in a co-op - i.e. government supported housing intended for low income people!

Also according to Pam her move to Regent Park was an act of benevolence. She gave up her garden to buy into a condominium where the profits from the sale of homes to "people like her" go to build new homes for those less fortunate. What a load of B.S.! smh
Based on what Peepers has brought to light here about Councillor McConnell, I'd say that Toronto needs more people like her on council. How about McConnell for Mayor in 2014!

The co-op discussion illustrated how ill-informed Ford and his followers are. You're not building a coherent argument, whether on co-ops, LRTs or anything else, if you've got the basic facts wrong. But Ford gets away with it constantly.

If you actually read my message or the linked article, or any one of the other thousand resources out there about it that are available with with three seconds of due diligence, you'll find out that the only thing she had going for her that allowed her to get on the list was that she could come up with $250.00. That's it. There was absolutely no favoritism, perk, discount, notice or help from anyone here. Nothing.

The only people for whom this looked 'bad' are the people who learned about it from Sue Anne Levy's front page smear in the Sun and then never bothered to look any further. The worst thing is that the Sun and Levy must have known it was nothing. The thing doesn't pass the barest of sniff tests until you take the most deranged possible angle on it, which means it must have been an absolutely deliberate attempt by Levy and the Sun to smear someone for no reason whatsoever.

Levy herself is no stranger to profiting from an improper situation - it was in the course of trying to smear someone with a legitimate complaint that she met her partner (who was involved the fraudulent use of a parking permit).

The co-op discussion illustrated how ill-informed Ford and his followers are. You're not building a coherent argument, whether on co-ops, LRTs or anything else, if you've got the basic facts wrong. But Ford gets away with it constantly.
Why does the media put up with such blatant lies. Surely the media should be crucifying these liars, and not waiting until their wife-beating, drug-using, child-abusing, scandals erupt.

For that matter, why don't we tackle liars like Peepers here, and simply ban them. His misattempt to characterize how the Regent Park condo sales were, and his lies about co-ops, and are clearly calculated (either that or he's a complete frigging moron ... but I have a hard time thinking that anyone is really that ignorant).

For that matter, why don't we tackle liars like Peepers here, and simply ban them. His misattempt to characterize how the Regent Park condo sales were, and his lies about co-ops, and are clearly calculated (either that or he's a complete frigging moron ... but I have a hard time thinking that anyone is really that ignorant).

Here, here! Let's all do our sanity levels a favour and rid our community of this malevolent entity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back