4.9K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 694     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob appeared sincere when 15 Windsor was discussed in council. He's known the Basso family since high school, maybe he remembers it as a family home, and is actually sorry that the elder Mrs. Basso is now living in a crack house because of her children and their associates (including Rob Ford).

Rob Ford lives in a land of stereotypes. Crack houses are those places you see in movies and on TV. Grandmothers, grandfathers, parents, children, uncles and aunts don't live in crack houses. His friends don't live in crack houses. So the place where he used crack cannot be a crack house.

But, of course, good people, loving people, people who have friends and family, can and do live in houses where crack cocaine is bought, sold, cut and used. Because life isn't a movie, and people aren't two-dimensional cartoons. Even - maybe especially - when illegal drugs are involved.

Rob Ford lives in a land of stereotypes. Crack houses are those places you see in movies and on TV. Grandmothers, grandfathers, parents, children, uncles and aunts don't live in crack houses. His friends don't live in crack houses. So the place where he used crack cannot be a crack house.

But, of course, good people, loving people, people who have friends and family, can and do live in houses where crack cocaine is bought, sold, cut and used. Because life isn't a movie, and people aren't two-dimensional cartoons. Even - maybe especially - when illegal drugs are involved.

It's not a crack house. It's a crack home.

I can't even start to think about Doug because it just makes me angry. I can't imagine anyone else who deserves an epic comeuppance as much as that loudmouth, lying bully.

I know everyone is focused on robbie right now but how can Doug, as a councilor not be held responsible for charging the seats and antagonizing citizens? Is there any recourse? Does this idiot just get to lie, bluster and bully without any accountability?

Last edited:
/\Well done.haha /\
So, why would certain news outlets take it easy on the turds? They have never followed up any of their six million legal threats.

That's probably because the Fords have no chance of winning. Right now the media's being exceedingly fair with the Fords, and they're still being accused of conspiracy. Even though the Fords make a lot of empty (and backwards) legal threats, if they had a reasonable chance of winning, I wonder if they'd take it.

I'm also curious if the Fords can and/or will be sued for libel by the media. The Fords have repeatedly called various reporters, and news outlets pathological liars, not just in passing, but repeatedly, and I believe on the radio. I'd love to see them held accountable for that. Especially now that we know the May allegations to be very real, to the point where the police have photos of Dolittle watching the video.

I know everyone is focused on robbie right now but how can Doug, as a councilor not be held responsible for charging the seats and antagonizing citizens? Is there any recourse? Does this idiot just get to lie, bluster and bully without any accountability?

Looks like it, so far.

One of the news commentaries about the whole Ford fiasco discussed how ill-equipped the Canadian national character is to deal with rudeness. We've never had a public official like him before, so we don't quite know what to do about it. Taking away his powers, turning backs on him, sidelining him - these are all pretty tame compared what might happen in other cultures.

I think there is something to this analysis. I also think that the Fords have churned up some ugly truths about Canadian society, mainly that there are a not-insignificant number of Canadians who are just like them, who see themselves in the Fords, and feel good about it. Yikes.

From The Star, at this link:
Q: We’re waiting to hear from the mayor’s office — are you and your brother — is Mayor Ford attending the police funeral on Monday?
Ford: One hundred per cent. Our support for all our police never wavers. We love our police, and we support ‘em 100 per cent. And that’s what I have always said from Day 1, I believe they should be the highest-paid folks in the country doing police work, because they have the most dangerous job in the country, and we support our front-line police officers.
I'm sure Bill Blair will love replaying this quote when the Polices Services Board asks him to present his next budget. Fiscal conservatives everywhere are doing a head slap right now.

Contrast this with what David Soknacki wrote in the year before the 2010 municipal election: http://www.soknacki.com/drifting-police-service-needs-renewed-direction-from-next-mayor/

Since Soknacki is a declared candidate for mayor in 2014 does anyone have any thoughts on his chances? I know he comes out dead last in any poll that has been taken recently, but so did David Miller early in 2003. I've read quite a few of Soknacki's writings from his website http://www.soknacki.com/ He seems to have a lot of good ideas and well thought out positions - no wonder he is polling so poorly. :)

I don't know if this has been discussed yet but I have a few questions:

1. What happened to Ford's threat that he was going to sue both the people who gave sworn statements to the cops AND the city for
stripping him of his powers?

I'm thinking the media should start a running clock on this--- "It's Been 135 Days Since Ford Threatened To Sue. Why Hasn't He?"

2. Is it really possible that Ford can win the next election? Not that I'm a political genius but it seems as though it takes more than
just the voters saying 'yeah, I'll vote for him the next time'. Will he have any kind of support from other political colleagues?
[Just a guess, but I can't see Harper helping to get out the vote]. Who is going to manage his campaign? Who is going to make
make the calls, lick the envelopes and pound the pavement for this guy? Because Doug can't do it all.

3. Even if it hasn't been proven in court, there is now a mountain of evidence that shows Ford hangs out with gangs and criminals.
Shouldn't the city start pulling out every single document Ford has signed, every deal he's made and go over it with a fine
tooth comb to see if the city itself has now unwittingly gotten into bed with those same criminal elements?

1.) Bluster.
2.) If voters have not learned their collective lessons then we will vote him in again; Robbie won as a reaction not as an action.
3.) Yep. However, such an endeavor needs somethng more than "allegations".

It's not a crack house. It's a crack home.

Picture it, a roaring fire, mama in her chair, children laying on a bear skin rug, and papa in his comfy chair, wearing his slippers, and smoking his pipe.

Nepotism? Dougie sees himself as co-mayor, and as he likes to to say, "NOT Elected" by the people to be co-mayor, even if the position existed. He is a "business man", and one that has quite the perverse view of business ethics. All told, Dougie only has his, or his brother's pressers left since the powers he covets have been taken away from his brother.

Cut Dougie's legs off? Don't talk to him, and give him a forum, or barring that don't let him get out a compleate thought/slogan like the presser on Friday.

Last edited:
yes, one time while walking I felt my heel slide forward on some ice and tilted as I lost my balance. I flailed and jerked my body hard in the other direction and was quite amazed to find myself still upright. But the next day I woke up with such sore muscles all over. Your body tightens up in anticipation of the fall and then you use all your strength trying to move your own weight. Of course, it's better than falling, which can have all kinds of unpredictable consequences, like broken bones. This is just muscle inflammation/bruising that passes in several days. But man was I sore!

That's exactly what happened to me over a week ago and I've had serious back pain since. It didn't seem like a big deal the minute it happened but within an hour, I knew I was in trouble. I can see how Pam's fall can seem like nothing but actually have a much greater effect on her body. It's been over a week and my back is still pretty messed up.

I'm sure Bill Blair will love replaying this quote when the Polices Services Board asks him to present his next budget. Fiscal conservatives everywhere are doing a head slap right now.

Contrast this with what David Soknacki wrote in the year before the 2010 municipal election: http://www.soknacki.com/drifting-police-service-needs-renewed-direction-from-next-mayor/

Since Soknacki is a declared candidate for mayor in 2014 does anyone have any thoughts on his chances? I know he comes out dead last in any poll that has been taken recently, but so did David Miller early in 2003. I've read quite a few of Soknacki's writings from his website http://www.soknacki.com/ He seems to have a lot of good ideas and well thought out positions - no wonder he is polling so poorly. :)

I think Soknacki might be the one to watch, a lot of Conservative support in Scarborough has moved toward him. He's relatively unknown and yet he registered 10% in a recent poll. I think he'll come across as a breath of fresh air for people looking for a fiscal conservative that isn't Ford.

Last edited:
Mayor Rob Ford's summer football club suspended
Rexdale Raiders were suspended last month for failing to pay $1,950 in fees and fines.

Mayor Rob Ford’s summer football club has been suspended for failing to pay registration fees and several fines.
The Rexdale Raiders, a two-team Ontario Minor Football League organization that Ford founded, racked up $1,950 in fees and fines since the spring season started in May.
If the Raiders apply to return next season, OMFL president Dan Ralph said the league’s governors will likely discuss concerns about the recent controversy surrounding the football-loving mayor and the club’s past assistant coach, Payman Aboodowleh, who has a history of violent crime.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I think this is right. I wish it weren't, but a big weight loss would be enough for lots of people to think that RF had turned himself around. It's a perfect visual signifier for that, even if it's all bollocks in reality.

Ugh - imagine how emboldened the Fords will be if Rob is re-elected. They'll see it as carte blanche to do whatever they like, rip out ALL the bike lanes, dump the childcare centres, squeeze the unions harder. Speaking of unions, expect a long strike or lockout in 2016 if Ford is re-elected. Many union contracts come up for re-negotiation in 2015 and if Ford is in office then, he'll want them to take deep cuts to their wages and benefits. It'll be an epic shitshow.

I wouldn't worry about it unduly. Rob Ford can't change who or what he is, and he won't be able to lose a huge amount of weight. He's a man of great appetites and negligible impulse control. He's under a microscope now, and his every derailment will be chronicled.

It just dawned on me that perhaps Peepers is actually quite young. That would explain why he is unaware (time and time again) of what co-ops are.

Also, can people stop doing the Ford selfie thing already? I've seen several people I know on my fb feed who hate Rob Ford posing and smiling with him. It's just so pathetic.

Oh come on, that's what makes it fun. When all your friends know you hate Rob Ford and then one day, a pic of you with your arms around the mayor, appears on line, your friends all freak out and everyone has a good laugh. I regret not doing it when I had the chance. Seriously, all my friends would have had a good laugh about that but I only seriously thought about it hours after Ford left. I missed my opportunity but if I ever see Ford again, you better believe, I am posing for a pic.

Looks like it, so far.

One of the news commentaries about the whole Ford fiasco discussed how ill-equipped the Canadian national character is to deal with rudeness. We've never had a public official like him before, so we don't quite know what to do about it. Taking away his powers, turning backs on him, sidelining him - these are all pretty tame compared what might happen in other cultures.

I think there is something to this analysis. I also think that the Fords have churned up some ugly truths about Canadian society, mainly that there are a not-insignificant number of Canadians who are just like them, who see themselves in the Fords, and feel good about it. Yikes.
It's not just the Canadian aversion to playing dirty at play. What I find so frustrating is when they do "streeters" on the local news asking people about Ford. Even people that are alarmed and disapproving of Ford will still bend over backwards to give him the benefit of the doubt. It's the decent thing to do, after all. The Fords know that and exploit it with a cynicism worthy of Hitler lying right to Neville Chamberlain's face at Munich. Hitler tried it again with Poland and was shocked that the British and French declared war.

That's what's at play here. They will lie, threaten and cheat until they are stopped cold. They will not surrender gracefully, ever.

I wouldn't worry about it unduly. Rob Ford can't change who or what he is, and he won't be able to lose a huge amount of weight. He's a man of great appetites and negligible impulse control. He's under a microscope now, and his every derailment will be chronicled.

I agree. I'm sure right now he's being watched like a hawk by his driver and Doug and his family. I take some solace in the fact that it must be exhausting for them to try to keep RoFo on the straight and narrow 24/7. Sooner or later they'll let their guard down. When this happens I'm still betting on Rob sneaking back to 15 Windsor for another fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back