4.9K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 702     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the video of the accidental encounter it almost looked like Ford and McConnell were performing a ballroom dance move this is why it is so ridiculous for McConnell to be claiming that she is "lucky to be alive" after what was a mild encounter with the mayor.
I watched the video again. Sure, there's a clumsy slow-motion aspect to it that might allow some to minimize the impact of the collision. But to call it a mild encounter or ballroom dance because he isn't laying his shoulder into her at full speed is foolish. She's falling backwards into contact with a person behind her (Provost) as someone more than twice her size, yes, catches her fall, but also continues to move forward in his own clumsiness above her. It would be a frightening surprise for her. And in her workplace, in a setting that is meant to be ruled by higher expectations of conduct. Sometimes these awkward falls can be the ones that bring injury, and if the force was enough to give her a fat lip on the day it would be enough to strain significantly a shoulder or a neck, especially on someone her age. Would you be so quick to dismiss it if he had run into a clerk or a staff lawyer rather than a political opponent? "Lucky to be alive" is an exaggeration that would be ridiculous. It's quite possible it wasn't meant in the context it is being framed.

Last edited:
Peepers: selective in judgment, selective in what he sees and doesn't in plain sight, selective in which responses to his truthiness he will address.

I haven't seen this posted yet:

Councillor 'lucky to be alive' after Rob Ford hit, may sue

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/06/mcconnell-hasnt-ruled-out-legal-action-after-rob-ford-collision

I cannot adequately put into words what I think about this woman and her latest antics as I would be banned from this forum for using foul language. I have long viewed McConnell as an opportunist (witness her controversial Regent Park condo purchase) but this is a disgusting low for McConnell.

Of course when McConnell says that she is "not ruling out legal action" what she means is she is trying to find out if the city will pick up her legal bills and indemnify her against any court judgement that is not in her favour. There is no way this freeloader is going to wage a legal fight using her own money.

Oh Peeps, calm down. Your rabid hatred of anything or anyone who's a lefty, has clouded your view. You still support Ford after all the loathsome things he's done but the minute a lefty does anything wrong, you go off the deep end. Do you really think most people here take you seriously? Your partisan politics is so obvious but can't you save your indignation for someone who really deserves it, and not some old lady who's misdeeds are rather minor, compared to your hero? Give it a rest already.

I think this is right. I wish it weren't, but a big weight loss would be enough for lots of people to think that RF had turned himself around. It's a perfect visual signifier for that, even if it's all bollocks in reality.

Ugh - imagine how emboldened the Fords will be if Rob is re-elected. They'll see it as carte blanche to do whatever they like, rip out ALL the bike lanes, dump the childcare centres, squeeze the unions harder. Speaking of unions, expect a long strike or lockout in 2016 if Ford is re-elected. Many union contracts come up for re-negotiation in 2015 and if Ford is in office then, he'll want them to take deep cuts to their wages and benefits. It'll be an epic shitshow.

If by some miracle Ford is actually re-elected, there will be riots in the streets. It will not stand. He won't even get halfway through his victory speech before an angry mob drags him from the podium and tears him limb from limb. Some things simply would be too much for people to stand.

I watched the video again. Sure, there's a clumsy slow-motion aspect to it that might allow some to minimize the impact of the collision. But to call it a mild encounter or ballroom dance because he isn't laying his shoulder into her at full speed is foolish. She's falling backwards into contact with a person behind her (Provost) as someone more than twice her size, yes, catches her fall, but also continues to move forward in his own clumsiness above her. It would be a frightening surprise for her. And in her workplace, in a setting that is meant to be ruled by higher expectations of conduct. Sometimes these awkward falls can be the ones that bring injury, and if the force was enough to give her a fat lip on the day it would be enough to strain significantly a shoulder or a neck, especially on someone her age. Would you be so quick to dismiss it if he had run into a clerk or a staff lawyer rather than a political opponent? "Lucky to be alive" is an exaggeration that would be ridiculous. It's quite possible it wasn't meant in the context it is being framed.

yes, one time while walking I felt my heel slide forward on some ice and tilted as I lost my balance. I flailed and jerked my body hard in the other direction and was quite amazed to find myself still upright. But the next day I woke up with such sore muscles all over. Your body tightens up in anticipation of the fall and then you use all your strength trying to move your own weight. Of course, it's better than falling, which can have all kinds of unpredictable consequences, like broken bones. This is just muscle inflammation/bruising that passes in several days. But man was I sore!

By her own admission she was given first dibs on a condo unit before it went on sale to the general public because she was part of some special "insider" club (I believe that was the term used).

Now people will say "big deal" - this is how all condos are sold - the first buyers are always given a special deal as risk-takers but lets remember One Cole was unlike any other condo project in that the building was close to completion before it ever went on sale. There was no upfront risk for the buyers!

It was thanks to a deal with the city that the developer was able to build the condo tower before putting the units on sale (normally 60% of a project must be sold before a shovel goes in the ground).

It was a unique and very special opportunity therefore for the select group of "insiders" who were given first shot - and lo and behold look who wound up with one of the most coveted units in the building - the local Councillor who pushed for and voted in favor of the special arrangement between the developer and the city!

The integrity commissioner investigated and found no wrongdoing. There is no allegation that what took place was illegal but I think it stinks still the same!

what is this "special arrangement between the developer and the city" ?!?
you mean the city deciding on Daniels as the developer for the re-development of Regent Park?

if the developer was able to build the condo before putting units on sale, it means they put up the capital before needing to sell to public.

there may or may not be less risk to the buyers according to you, but I still wouldn't pay the prices being asked for in that area.

if Pam is confident in the project and her ward, willing to put up her money, then good for her.

Last edited:
Should we have Thai-style riots if Rob Ford were re-elected?

If Robbie sees himself as a martyr for the cause... and idoliizes American politicians... an attack may just happen. If you live life as a fundimentalist then yuou should expect a diaposed fundalism answer your call.

I was at city council that day and both Fords were flat out, out of control. This was a calculated piece of performance art intended to deflect the fact that Robbie was about to have his nuts handed to him on a plate. Rob and Doug's behaviour was beyond disgusting in the way they treated members of the public, quite apart from their disrespect to the procedures of council. Pam was a few inches away from bashing her head on a glass partition. She's lucky the injuries weren't worse.

Peepers, what's in it for you to minimize what could have been a very serious injury and one which would never have happened without Robbie charging like a teenage madman round the council chamber? Ridiculous how? Pam is a city councillor, not a UFC wrestler.

She could have easily hit the ground, and her head almost hit that table. As an elderly woman, it's not inconceivable that she could have been killed, really.

Sadly, even if that had happened, Rob Ford would probably still be mayor.

It was a unique and very special opportunity therefore for the select group of "insiders" who were given first shot - and lo and behold look who wound up with one of the most coveted units in the building - the local Councillor who pushed for and voted in favor of the special arrangement between the developer and the city!

Hey, yeah, that's horrible! What kind of a person would take advantage of...

The Globe and Mail said:
Her only insider advantage was membership, through her real estate agent, in the developer’s “inner circle,†a list of interested potential buyers that anyone could get on by putting down a $250 deposit."

...oh, uh, but she voted on it, without declaring a conflict of interest?
The Globe and Mail said:
Ms. McConnell says she never declared a conflict of interest on votes concerning Regent Park because she didn’t have one. The votes to approve the project came long before she bought her unit.

Well, surely she got something out of doing it?

The Globe and Mail said:
Part of the idea in Regent Park is to use the revenue from condo sales to rebuild the low-income housing. Daniels vice-president Martin Blake says that the buy-in by developers and officials built confidence. At the time, the world economy was in trouble, the real-estate market was sagging and many doubted Daniels could sell condos in an area with a “significant stigma.â€

Good for the Sun for exposing this malfeasance on the front page of their newspaper! Investigative reporting is exactly what the news media should be doing more of!

The Globe and Mail said:
Far from doing something shady, she contributed in a small way to the success of Regent Park. The project is a model of private and public co-operation. It is being watched around North America as an example of how to transform isolated housing projects into something more livable. Good on Ms. McConnell for believing in it.

All quotes from the lefty pravda rag: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...lls-regent-park-condo-purchase/article627548/

By her own admission she was given first dibs on a condo unit before it went on sale to the general public because she was part of some special "insider" club (I believe that was the term used).

Now people will say "big deal" - this is how all condos are sold - the first buyers are always given a special deal as risk-takers but lets remember One Cole was unlike any other condo project in that the building was close to completion before it ever went on sale. There was no upfront risk for the buyers!

It was thanks to a deal with the city that the developer was able to build the condo tower before putting the units on sale (normally 60% of a project must be sold before a shovel goes in the ground).

The integrity commissioner investigated and found no wrongdoing. There is no allegation that what took place was illegal but I think it stinks still the same!

Daniels and their arrangement with Regent Park is a whole different can of worms, and you know it. They needed a developer willing and able to go in there with the master plan and build this unique revitalization.
I don't think putting the Councillor on a list for early sales for a building in the revitalized Regent Park stinks at all. She and her husband paid market value for the unit. Perks (here, as early purchasers) to some people in some positions or with connections is very normal. When I was an executive at my last job, I got perks related and affiliated with my job too.
What risk is there to putting money down on any pre-construction condo in this city or Province? I'd say if anything, there may be a risk to the value of the property in Regent Park given it's previous, unfortunate reputation. But she chose to live there, among her constituents, of all income levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back