4.9K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 694     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind Peepers all that much, actually. He behaves politely (offensive as his outrageous non-arguments may be). He adds a bit of fun around here, and serves as an indicator species of whether Rob Ford keeps any support at all.

It also sheds light into some of the mental gymnastics people use to manipulate others into thinking that Rob Ford the incompetent criminal is an honest and diligent politician.

If you actually read my message or the linked article, or any one of the other thousand resources out there about it that are available with with three seconds of due diligence, you'll find out that the only thing she had going for her that allowed her to get on the list was that she could come up with $250.00. That's it. There was absolutely no favoritism, perk, discount, notice or help from anyone here. Nothing.

The only people for whom this looked 'bad' are the people who learned about it from Sue Anne Levy's front page smear in the Sun and then never bothered to look any further. The worst thing is that the Sun and Levy must have known it was nothing. The thing doesn't pass the barest of sniff tests until you take the most deranged possible angle on it, which means it must have been an absolutely deliberate attempt by Levy and the Sun to smear someone for no reason whatsoever.

My favourite moment from today's presser with Doug was an exchange between Doug and the Sun's Don Peat. It went down almost like this:

Peat: Doug, why is your brother allegedly hanging out in a crack house?
Ford: You know what, Don. Screw you. Your paper has gone down the toilet now.
Peat: The paper that endorsed you in 2010?
Ford: Yeah, everyone changes.
Peat: So did the mayor.
(brief awkward silence from Ford)

Way to go, Don!

Doug seems to have no idea what it means that all the major papers have turned against him and Rob.

And IIRC Soviet-era Pravda didn't question the actions of members of the government or suggest that they were lying or owed people explanations.

That is what the media need to keep doing, because Doug thinks he can bluff his way through and play the victim card. I hope the lack of charges so far means something much bigger is at stake that will ultimately bring Rob down and destroy Doug's credibility for good.

So McConnell - who makes over $100,000 a year and her husband (how much does he make?) were living in a co-op - i.e. government supported housing intended for low income people!

I literally can't take this any more. You're just so ignorant. READ THIS.Then THIS.I typically have a no-ignore policy for people on this site but you might actually be the first person I will make an exception for.

Co-operative housing isn't subsidized. Yes, there are subsidized units in some buildings - but it's not all units in all buildings. A "co-op" means it's member-controlled, as opposed to an apartment building that is managed by a rental company with a Superintendent, or say TCHC/Woodgreen/Fred Victor/etc which is run by the head organization. In a co-op you also have no landlord. Somebody living in a co-op, paying full market rate, just means it's someone who actually gives a shit about the community they're living in and doesn't think of their apartment as a temporary place to reside. It's different from a condo in one major, community-oriented way in that, in a co-op, everyone has a say in who moves into the community. It's more or less like joining a club, as a opposed to a condo or apartment building where anyone can move in to any unit.

It's also worth noting that there are a lot of Co-ops in toronto, which aren't subsidized, simply because they existed before the Condominium Act was created in 1973.

I don't mind Peepers all that much, actually. He behaves politely (offensive as his outrageous non-arguments may be). He adds a bit of fun around here, and serves as an indicator species of whether Rob Ford keeps any support at all.

It also sheds light into some of the mental gymnastics people use to manipulate others into thinking that Rob Ford the incompetent criminal is an honest and diligent politician.

I don't mind Peepers either---he seems to be suspicious of anything and everything, which, while I don't agree with all of it, is at least food for thought some of the time. However, he does sort of seem like a guy at a party trying to change the subject of other peoples' conversation to the stuff he wants to talk about, which can be a little annoying.

I don't know if this has been discussed yet but I have a few questions:

1. What happened to Ford's threat that he was going to sue both the people who gave sworn statements to the cops AND the city for
stripping him of his powers?

I'm thinking the media should start a running clock on this--- "It's Been 135 Days Since Ford Threatened To Sue. Why Hasn't He?"

2. Is it really possible that Ford can win the next election? Not that I'm a political genius but it seems as though it takes more than
just the voters saying 'yeah, I'll vote for him the next time'. Will he have any kind of support from other political colleagues?
[Just a guess, but I can't see Harper helping to get out the vote]. Who is going to manage his campaign? Who is going to make
make the calls, lick the envelopes and pound the pavement for this guy? Because Doug can't do it all.

3. Even if it hasn't been proven in court, there is now a mountain of evidence that shows Ford hangs out with gangs and criminals.
Shouldn't the city start pulling out every single document Ford has signed, every deal he's made and go over it with a fine
tooth comb to see if the city itself has now unwittingly gotten into bed with those same criminal elements?

His insistence that 15 Windsor is a family dwelling and NOT a crack house is insane as well, especially with the latest ITO release.

I don't mind Peepers either---he seems to be suspicious of anything and everything, which, while I don't agree with all of it, is at least food for thought some of the time. However, he does sort of seem like a guy at a party trying to change the subject of other peoples' conversation to the stuff he wants to talk about, which can be a little annoying.

That's largely how I see it, and also what RC8 said.

With respect to the latter part, I know I've been guilty of steering a lot of conversations onto the Rob Ford subject. Although since the crack admission, being obsessed with Ford news has become more socially acceptable; or so I think, I don't get out much.

The last party I went to I was lucky enough to meet an old acquaintance who has worked for a few local media outlets; naturally we talked a lot of RoDoFo. It was explained to me that the media, or at least the two outlets she's worked for during Ford's time, are quite restricted in what they can write by their legal teams. This is apparently why the press doesn't seem to be as "tough" on the Fords as they should be. Although the recent Doug Ford transcript was fantastic, way to go Don Peat.

That's largely how I see it, and also what RC8 said.

It was explained to me that the media, or at least the two outlets she's worked for during Ford's time, are quite restricted in what they can write by their legal teams. This is apparently why the press doesn't seem to be as "tough" on the Fords as they should be.

They can still ask though

/\Well done.haha /\
So, why would certain news outlets take it easy on the turds? They have never followed up any of their six million legal threats.

His insistence that 15 Windsor is a family dwelling and NOT a crack house is insane as well, especially with the latest ITO release.

Rob appeared sincere when 15 Windsor was discussed in council. He's known the Basso family since high school, maybe he remembers it as a family home, and is actually sorry that the elder Mrs. Basso is now living in a crack house because of her children and their associates (including Rob Ford).

More thoughts about health care in both Canada and the US...

For the record, I am aware that Obamacare is not like the Canadian system, or even a two tiered system. Unfortunately, it seems to be the best the Democrats can get through.

If Americans want to cut down on gun violence, the next best thing they could do besides implementing gun control is to put in some kind of public alternative. Personal responsibility and ideology aside, people will do whatever it takes to survive. If this means robbing people at gun point and selling drugs while shooting up rival gangs who try to take over your territory, so be it.

America's health care system needs reform NOW. Many Western governments have been or are under control of conservatives, but they still have some form of public health care system. Even England under Thatcher, one of the most right winged politicians of the 20th century (and she has a lot of competition to contend with), didn't eliminate the NHS. This is why I am glad to hear Ford say what he did, while far from the most ideal conservative, he may get some Republicans thinking about a two tiered approach.

As for your question, it may happen, but I doubt it. Before being elected, Harper had made statements about wanting a US style system, but he has been pretty tame about going at it, even with a majority. While I would rather see the Canadian Health Act expanded to cover dental and medication, I am guessing it will go the other way. If not two tier, then perhaps user fees to help cover the costs. But I am confident that the US dog eat dog way is not coming here.

If it makes you feel any better, much of the same rhetoric being thrown around down there was being used up here when we were implementing it, if not more so. Especially since at the time the only other countries to implement universal health care were Cuba and North Korea.

Electrify: Good thoughts here - I agree with you that America's health care system needs reform NOW...That "dog eat dog" thought is exactly
what the US system is...

I remember Michael Moore's documentary on the US health care system "Sicko" and his discovery that Cuba had the best universal health
care of the countries that were mentioned in that film...North Korea's totalitarian government giving good health care coverage is sort of a
surprise to me...He surveyed countries that give citizens health care to compare their options for a proposed US single payer public option...

With the thought of a two tiered approach-even from the likes of Rob Ford-it may be a way to go to helping the uninsured in the US...

See: www.michaelmoore.com

LI MIKE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back