News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.2K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 854     5 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cover of tomorrow's Toronto SUN

Here is the link to the St Paddy's day story http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/01/very-intoxicated-rob-ford-was-at-his-worst-st-patricks-day-2012

If you haven't read it yet ( I posted the link earlier) Don Peat has written the most detailed account of that night which includes Ford hurling racial slurs, knocking staffers off their feet, smashing his cell phone, crying, attempting to take his off clothes and much more! great reading!

BYCkQJMCAAAdm0U.jpg:large

I tend to believe that the Toronto Police are made incompetent (or at least inefficient in maintaining public safety relative to cost) by the twin burdens of their corporate bureaucracy and their unions, and I'm skeptical that this video was suddenly found a day before a raft of other information was revealed to the public, but after thinking about it the last couple days I'm willing to believe that their moves are tactical. Although we may be hungry to see Rob Ford nailed on something, anything, police have invested in this investigation looking for something bigger than possession or DUI charges. The most obvious is the extortion/obstruction. If they convict Lisi on this charges they would be interested in whomever financed and guided him. The possible connection to the Anthony Smith murder, based on the tip relayed by Towhey, appears to be the impetus for setting up the surveillance. And the GFL connection to one of Ford's party buddies is tantalizing, one of those hints to bigger Ford family corruption that many of us tend to believe must be somewhere in the background.

MM, from what you've heard, what's your best guess on how the next few days and weeks might play out?

My guess is that the police aren't done with Project Brazen 2. There's an obstruction of justice investigation going on related to the video that Ford allegedly ordered destroyed. There's also all the mountain of circumstantial evidence laid out in the Lisi ITO documents.

I think it depends on public pressure. If this falls away like last time and Ford is allowed to carry on in yet a new normal, then we'll have to wait for the next big event. However as it now appears, the media isn't relenting and even the Sun is all in against Ford this time. Ink is already flowing criticizing the police for lack of charges and increasing public pressure may force the Crown to charge Ford despite less than ideal evidence to do so. At this moment, the optics are not good. Hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars were put in to this investigation, police resources were tied up following the Mayor, the TPS's top detective was on the case and a massive 500 page report was written... for a pot bust of some small time petty drug dealer who lives with his mom? Ford is acting blatantly guilty in the now public surveillance and hasn't been charged. It looks suspiciously like favouritism even though there may be perfectly good reasons why the cops couldn't bust him. Public pressure will force the Crown's hand.

Meanwhile, the unessential information that was redacted out of the ITO is going to be argued for public release as are the wire taps. There's a good chance that at least some of this information will be coming out in the next couple of weeks. Then on December 6th, Lisi is going to be in court again regarding the extortion charge. The formal process will then begin and the media's lawyers are going to start petitioning for the evidence (the videos) to be made public. A strong argument can be made that it is in the public interest that the video be released expeditiously rather than wait for a trial which may only happen sometime after the 2014 election.

If Lisi's case goes to trial, Rob Ford will be subpoenaed to testify as he's a key individual tightly knitted in with Lisi's charge. I say "if" because it looks like Lisi has accepted plea bargains before as he's gotten off lightly on prior criminal charges. I'm not convinced he'll give up Rob Ford and he's seasoned in his dealing with police so he won't crack up and spill all the beans, but he may give them something they want while not overtly ratting out the Mayor.

As early as Monday, we may begin to see more staff defections and a few more councillors will be added to the collection of those openly asking the Mayor to step down. If he doesn't, there was a suggestion in June that City Council defund the Mayor's office which would mean that his entire staff would be laid off. The Office of the Mayor would in essence be shut down, a strong signal that City Council is operating without the Mayor who is Mayor in name only. To further degrade his powers, members of his executive could resign. Quorum for the executive to function is a simple majority. It's perfectly plausible that most of them would quit. I can only see Doug, Nunziata and maybe Norm Kelly staying on until the end. I think the most likely to quit first is Denzil Minan-Wong. He can taste election 2014 and he's already moved his chess pieces away from Rob Ford. I'd watch him next week.

As for the 2014 election, never say never but I'm starting to be feel safe to say that Ford will never be Mayor again. His chances were already slimming down but yesterday's bombshell(s) scared whatever final sane voter was still considering him. It also demolished any chance that any high ranking Conservative is going to run his campaign and that he's going to receive funding and endorsements. Rob Ford is finished politically.

My final prediction which I'm sadly confident that is the most likely to come true: you and I can say with a high degree of certainty that if he doesn't get help, the inevitable end game is that Rob Ford is going to end up dead before we've been able to untangle this mess. He's a 300lb man who leads a highly stressed lifestyle, who doesn't exercise (he barely even walks), with a grossly unhealthy diet, who drinks heavily and does hard drugs. Statistically he won't make it to 50. Taken into his individual context, it wouldn't be pushing it to suggest he won't live another 24 months.

Last edited:
I think it's quite possible that the police feel they have enough time evidence to get lisi on an extortion charge. It's not what they want. But maybe they feel that their case is rock solid against lisi and only one or two puzzle pieces away from Ford. As a result when lisi sees the evidence and that he will be getting significant jail time that he may be willing to cough up those puzzle pieces in order to save himself.

Kevin Donovan was on newstalk1010 today discussing the crack video and how he is very interested in finding out who it was off camera that was talking to Ford. He named 3 people that he thought it might be. Lisi, Price, and Bellisimo.

I'm quite suspicious about the timing of Blair's press conference. I do not believe that they only gained access to the video a few days ago, but I'm not sure why the release of the Brazen 2 documents would have prompted them to make the announcement when they did.

The revelation that the video exists has acted as a nice insurance policy for Blair. Confirming it's existence definitely muted the public disappointment and anger that Ford was not being charged as a result of the surveillance done via Project Brazen 2. By confirming the video's existence the Mayor was wounded in a way that drug possession, drunk driving, or public urination charges wouldn't have done. it cost him the support of the Sun!

If Blair had not done so, Ford might have been in a stronger position to whip up a frenzy about an out of "control police chief wasting tax dollars for personal vendettas." Even though Blair is currently being subjected to attacks from the Mayor's people, his credibility in the eyes of most Torontonians stands above Ford's, and he should weather the storm easily.

I also agree that the TPS held off on busting Ford on smaller scale matters for the long game. With Ford openly declaring he no longer supports the Chief of Police, it will be war, with Blair likely holding most of the cards.

The cover of tomorrow's Toronto SUN

Here is the link to the St Paddy's day story http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/01/very-intoxicated-rob-ford-was-at-his-worst-st-patricks-day-2012

If you haven't read it yet ( I posted the link earlier) Don Peat has written the most detailed account of that night which includes Ford hurling racial slurs, knocking staffers off their feet, smashing his cell phone, crying, attempting to take his off clothes and much more! great reading!

Ladies and gentlemen, what you are seeing is a total disregard for the things St. Patrick's Day stands for. All this drinking, violence, destruction of property. Are these the things we think of when we think of the Irish?

hgVwqSY.jpg

(I'm part Irish, I've even been to the ancestral homeland in C. Cork, and I love the Irish jokes in that episode)

Attachments

• hgVwqSY.jpg
    hgVwqSY.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
I tend to believe that the Toronto Police are made incompetent (or at least inefficient in maintaining public safety relative to cost) by the twin burdens of their corporate bureaucracy and their unions, and I'm skeptical that this video was suddenly found a day before a raft of other information was revealed to the public, but after thinking about it the last couple days I'm willing to believe that their moves are tactical. Although we may be hungry to see Rob Ford nailed on something, anything, police have invested in this investigation looking for something bigger than possession or DUI charges. The most obvious is the extortion/obstruction. If they convict Lisi on this charges they would be interested in whomever financed and guided him. The possible connection to the Anthony Smith murder, based on the tip relayed by Towhey, appears to be the impetus for setting up the surveillance. And the GFL connection to one of Ford's party buddies is tantalizing, one of those hints to bigger Ford family corruption that many of us tend to believe must be somewhere in the background.

I think GFL's Romeo DiBattista and the surreptitious drop-off of manila envelopes go together like pie and ice cream.

As early as Monday, we may begin to see more staff defections and a few more councillors will be added to the collection of those openly asking the Mayor to step down. If he doesn't, there was a suggestion in June that City Council defund the Mayor's office which would mean that his entire staff would be laid off. The Office of the Mayor would in essence be shut down, a strong signal that City Council is operating without the Mayor who is Mayor in name only. To further degrade his powers, members of his executive could resign. Quorum for the executive to function is a simple majority. It's perfectly plausible that most of them would quit. I can only see Doug, Nunziata and maybe Norm Kelly staying on until the end. I think the most likely to quit first is Denzil Minan-Wong. He can taste election 2014 and he's already moved his chess pieces away from Rob Ford. I'd watch him next week.

I fear that shutting down the mayor's office would play into Ford's victim complex mantra. Otherwise it would be something I support.

My final prediction which I'm sadly confident that is the most likely to come true: you and I can say with a high degree of certainty that if he doesn't get help, the inevitable end game is that Rob Ford is going to end up dead before we've been able to untangle this mess. He's a 300lb man who leads a highly stressed lifestyle, who doesn't exercise (he barely even walks), with a grossly unhealthy diet, who drinks heavily and does hard drugs. Statistically he won't make it to 50. Taken into his individual context, it wouldn't be pushing it to suggest he won't live another 24 months.

I for one always deem it sad when one needs to take their own life, either from one quick act to the more popular slower mire of disbelief and self denial. This includes Robbie, and I agree with you that his tenure of mayor may not be up before his demise.

I just hope that Dougie realises it would have served things better to not have been such the bully he has been.

I fear that shutting down the mayor's office would play into Ford's victim complex mantra. Otherwise it would be something I support.

Standard passive/aggressive manipulation we have come to expect from the Fords.

Last edited:
I think GFL's Romeo DiBattista and the surreptitious drop-off of manila envelopes go together like pie and ice cream.

I was intrigued by the references to "GFL" (the company that got the big garbage outsourcing contract) in recent postings so I did some research and stumbled upon this LinkedIN profile for an operations manager at GFL

http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/john-blair/6b/134/1a

The accompanying picture is not very clear but the Mr. Blair depicted has a strong resemblance to our Chief Blair. I wonder if they are related (brothers?). There may not be anything to this but I hope the media investigators will dig deeper to see if in fact there is a connection.

john-blair.png

images

Last edited:
Kevin Donovan was on newstalk1010 today discussing the crack video and how he is very interested in finding out who it was off camera that was talking to Ford. He named 3 people that he thought it might be. Lisi, Price, and Bellisimo.

that would be an interesting twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back