787     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 708     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 303     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of what you think about Giambrone, you never did get to see his campaign, and that's what I'm addressing. John Laschinger had prepared a brilliant campaign that focused on big ambition for Toronto, for a city with criss crossing transit lines (Transit City), sprouting skyscrapers, people flocking to move to the city and a big push for the youth vote.

Sounds much like Chow's campaign.

Adam Giambrone's brilliantly prepared campaign was unexpectedly aborted before it could shine and its substitute never managed to right itself up.
I have full confidence Giambrone would have brilliantly carried out that brilliantly prepared campaign. After all, he had the brilliant idea during the recent by-election of getting his face on TV while standing like a clumsy oaf at a Glen Murray press conference. Worked like a third-place charm. Then there was his brilliantly executed "abortion" speech. Or was it just an execution?
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...e_from_speech_undid_adam_giambrones_exit.html

I think the "right leaning" candidate to watch will be David Soknacki, some of his articles from the community newspapers are below. People who like Ford's "fiscal policy", but hate the circus, might go to Soknacki. The right side is getting crowded fast, with vote-splitting Rob will be lucky to come in last.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/opinio...-police-costs-efficiency-need-to-be-examined/
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...eadlines-subway-debate-finished-not-a-chance/
http://www.insidetoronto.com/opinio...hen-the-best-solution-isn-t-the-lowest-price/

Ummm, I think you meant president Obama.

I am politically-aware enough to be posting to a municipal politics thread on a local architectural website, but I am unaware of who actually won the most expensive and publicized primary and general election campaign in the history of the planet?

No, I meant that, for years the conventional wisdom was that Hillary would win the 2008 election. Then reality happened and, as is more often the case than not, the conventional wisdom among pundits who rarely talk to actual voters was completely wrong. So, in the same way that we were told Hillary would win in 2008, we are being told that Olivia will win in 2014.

The metaphor is actually pretty apt. Hillary voted for the Iraq war because she lacked political courage, just as Chow is drinking the "anything but Cadillac subways is political poison" Kool-Aid.

Warren Kinsella as Mark Penn. Soknacki as Obama? "Yes we Can"? Maybe not a perfect metaphor, but not bad at all, even if I do say so myself.

I think the "right leaning" candidate to watch will be David Soknacki, some of his articles from the community newspapers are below. People who like Ford's "fiscal policy", but hate the circus, might go to Soknacki. The right side is getting crowded fast, with vote-splitting Rob will be lucky to come in last.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/opinio...-police-costs-efficiency-need-to-be-examined/
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...eadlines-subway-debate-finished-not-a-chance/
http://www.insidetoronto.com/opinio...hen-the-best-solution-isn-t-the-lowest-price/

Good morning! We are officially at the 1-year countdown to the 2014 election. Perhaps we should consider what the ballot will look like in 365 days.

(In alphabetical order):

- Chow, Olivia
- Clarke, Kevin
- Ford, Robert
- Minnan-Wong, Denzil
- Soknacki, David
- Stintz, Karen
- Tory, John

I don't actually believe that, when push comes to shove, Tory will run. And I don't believe that he will be a force even if he does. But let's assume he does. Also, as you can see, I'm assuming DMW will run. I don't have any inside information, I just believe he will based on reading his statements and votes over the past year.

Does anybody see another serious candidate running? It's going to be hard to raise money and get attention with that many horses in the field. I'd say that the only possible addition to the race would be Shelley Carroll, but her window is rapidly closing because her base of potential supporters is being courted by Chow on the left and Soknacki on the right. My guess is that this group of voters is so upset with Ford that they won't wait around for Carroll to make up her mind before backing another candidate.

What do people think about this analysis?

I am politically-aware enough to be posting to a municipal politics thread on a local architectural website, but I am unaware of who actually won the most expensive and publicized primary and general election campaign in the history of the planet?

No, I meant that, for years the conventional wisdom was that Hillary would win the 2008 election. Then reality happened and, as is more often the case than not, the conventional wisdom among pundits who rarely talk to actual voters was completely wrong. So, in the same way that we were told Hillary would win in 2008, we are being told that Olivia will win in 2014.

The metaphor is actually pretty apt. Hillary voted for the Iraq war because she lacked political courage, just as Chow is drinking the "anything but Cadillac subways is political poison" Kool-Aid.

Warren Kinsella as Mark Penn. Soknacki as Obama? "Yes we Can"? Maybe not a perfect metaphor, but not bad at all, even if I do say so myself.

I got your metaphor blackballed, and I agree with you. I usually vote to the left but I plan to vote for the candidate that can get us working together as a city, instead of us/them. I'm not sure Olivia as mayor would accomplish that goal, she is seen as too far to the left and will not take any of Ford's votes. We need Ford nation to migrate to another more rational nation/candidate.

Good morning! We are officially at the 1-year countdown to the 2014 election. Perhaps we should consider what the ballot will look like in 365 days.

(In alphabetical order):

- Chow, Olivia
- Clarke, Kevin
- Ford, Robert
- Minnan-Wong, Denzil
- Soknacki, David
- Stintz, Karen
- Tory, John

I don't actually believe that, when push comes to shove, Tory will run. And I don't believe that he will be a force even if he does. But let's assume he does. Also, as you can see, I'm assuming DMW will run. I don't have any inside information, I just believe he will based on reading his statements and votes over the past year.

Does anybody see another serious candidate running? It's going to be hard to raise money and get attention with that many horses in the field. I'd say that the only possible addition to the race would be Shelley Carroll, but her window is rapidly closing because her base of potential supporters is being courted by Chow on the left and Soknacki on the right. My guess is that this group of voters is so upset with Ford that they won't wait around for Carroll to make up her mind before backing another candidate.

What do people think about this analysis?

I don't think Tory will run either, too crowded for him to win, and I agree that Carroll has left it too late.

Update on NOW article:

Update: On Saturday afternoon, Everett sent NOW an email in which she said she felt vindicated by the new footage. "This video is proof that the dramatic claims Rob Ford made about me that day are false," she said. "The video confirms he was not harmed, and his eyes were not stung with acid."

In a follow-up interview, Everett was asked if she stood by the claim that she threw the drink into an empty area and it landed metres away from Ford. She said she did.

I'm glad Stintz decided to run. This is turning out to be nothing like an incumbent reelection which usually produces one challenger who's lower profile never manages to overcome the Mayor.

So far we have 4 candidates and we may get a 5th and 6th. That gives people a sense that they have choice and relieves them from having to choose either Ford or his challenger. With a centre-left challenger that would leave Conservatives without an option but to vote for Ford.

Stintz and Socknaki will provide other options. If either of them gets enough traction, it's very plausible that Ford will go into the final stretch in 3rd place (or 4th if Tory also runs) which will result in even more of an exodus from Ford Nation. This couldn't have happened with just Olivia running.

I don't think Ford should be charged with public mischief in this case, simply because even if he is convicted he would likely get probation or something equally light.

I do think she should sue him and/or the TPS for defamation or something similar.

I'm not sure that she can anymore. I I remember reading various times about the Fords (shockingly) missing a deadline to file a libel suit against various publications for publishing various stories that they claimed were completely false. I wonder why?

But the point is that, from a legal perspective, if you don't claim defamation or libel within a certain time of publication, you forfeit your right to do so. At least, that's what I think, but I'm not a lawyer.

I don't think Ford should be charged with public mischief in this case, simply because even if he is convicted he would likely get probation or something equally light.

We also don't know what statements Ford made to the police. They probably told the truth to the police. Unfortunately, there's no charge for lying to the public on a radio station -- if there were we'd probably have a different mayor by now.

Just read on Kristan Wong-Tam's Twitter feed about a convention of TCH Youth today at downtown Sheridan. Apparently Olivia Chow, Glenn Murray and other guests spoke, Rob didn't bother to show up, and I believe he was expected. Heard he was at the hockey game last night, and he'll be on his show today. Good to see what's important to him.

Update: Rob was called to the stage, wasn't there, was booed!

Last edited:
Just read on Kristan Wong-Tam's Twitter feed about a convention of TCH Youth today at downtown Sheridan. Apparently Olivia Chow, Glenn Murray and other guests spoke, Rob didn't bother to show up, and I believe he was expected. Heard he was at the hockey game last night, and he'll be on his show today. Good to see what's important to him.

Update: Rob was called to the stage, wasn't there, was booed!

Not taxpayers? Maybe they are voters or citizens of Toronto, but not taxpayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back