217     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 216     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That reminds me, someone on reddit posted a link to the Code of Conduct Complaint protocol. It's over here: http://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/com...firms_mayor_ford_waged_robocall_smear/ccq7kwk

I'm firing off a mail myself. This fucker needs to stop.

Does anyone get the feeling that rather than the big obvious stuff like Crackgate, "little stuff" like the Scarborough robocall might be what turns the popular tide against Ford? Y'know, a fatally tactless misfire a la "Is this the face of a Prime Minister?"...

This is the mail I sent to the Integrity Commissioner. Feel free to modify at will.

Hello Ms. Leiper,

I am writing to you to express my dissatisfaction with the conduct of Mayor Rob Ford regarding a "robocall" sent out to Councillor Paul Ainslie's residents in Ward 43. The audio clip, which has been widely reported in the media (example: http://www.680news.com/2013/10/12/s...-ainslie-steps-down-from-executive-committee/) shows Mayor Ford informing residents, via his City of Toronto number, of Councillor Ainslie's vote in the recent debate surrounding the extension of the Bloor-Danforth line in lieu of a Scarborough RT conversion to LRT.

This call is not only inappropriate in that it intimidates Councillor Ainslie for his vote, which he has the democratic right to exercise following consultation of his constituents, but that the number originated from the number to the Mayor's office, an office staffed by City officials paid by the Toronto public. The call itself was in itself not a fabrication of facts, but it is telling that only Ward 43 residents received this call and not any other residents whose Councillors rejected the subway expansion plan.

As the City's Integrity Commissioner, I urge you to consider this request from myself, and likely many other fellow Toronto residents, in investigating this robocall and determine whether this constitutes a violation of the Code of Conduct that all members of Council are to abide by.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXX
Resident, Ward XX

Does anyone get the feeling that rather than the big obvious stuff like Crackgate, "little stuff" like the Scarborough robocall might be what turns the popular tide against Ford? Y'know, a fatally tactless misfire a la "Is this the face of a Prime Minister?"...

I doubt it. Only shockingly bad revelations about Ford would do that and it's definitely of the illegal variety.
In either case, this complaint is still worth pursuing. Unlike with the last complaint regarding Ford's football foundation, the intentions of THIS robocall are hard to spin in a public light especially with all this media coverage surrounding it, various testimony from legal experts who concluded Ford CAN be reprimanded if indeed this call came from this office, etc.

What if he was hired' to dissolve Toronto and 'Detroitify' our city?The reasons why I haven't completely figured out, but the one of the first steps to achieve it, beyond allowing infrastructure to fall into disrepair, is to pit citizens against one another.
In the crack video Ford supposedly says "I’m fucking right-wing. Everyone expects me to be right-wing. I’m just supposed to be this great.…". I've been rather intrigued by his "everyone expects me to be right wing" comment. To me, that sounds like he might be a puppet for someone else, doing their work for them. Is he really right wing or just playing the part?

In the crack video Ford supposedly says "I’m fucking right-wing. Everyone expects me to be right-wing. I’m just supposed to be this great.…". I've been rather intrigued by his "everyone expects me to be right wing" comment. To me, that sounds like he might be a puppet for someone else, doing their work for them. Is he really right wing or just playing the part?

It seems that he's confessing his doubt over whether his values are an entirely an expression of his own agency, rather than slipping that he's someone else's tool.

Ray Heard ‏@RayHeard - I am pretty sure now there will be MAJOR development in Rob Ford crack fiasco tomorrow. I have sources within. So do Star, Globe

Scarborough has Fords back. There is no way we will ever let Ainslie get re-elected after he sold out Scarborough with his LRT vote. Everyone here cant wait till the next election....

Yeah, folks in Malvern are super happy that they are getting absolutely no higher order transit for at least another generation and have to continue to ride the bus to STC.

Last edited:
If he was a puppet though, who would be pulling the strings?

Did you mean to reply to me? I don't think he is. I think he's a shameless ignoramus who grew up close to and was co-opted, in the usual way that people are directed by communities, by a movement whose philosophical underpinnings he's aware he doesn't understand. The quote tells me he knows he's a product of outside forces but not to what extent, and he isn't sure where he ends and his environment begins. That social determinism is true for everyone btw, but Ford stands out because rarely you have people in such positions of power who can't point to a process of ideological deliberation, smart or silly. Ford comes across as if he's had no "bildung" and in the face of repeated attempts to justify his positions, is now consciously aware of it if he wasn't already. That's why he's impossible to draw into the open - not only will he lose, but it will have enormous psychological damage on him. That's also why he's doubling down on his stupidity; it allows him to defer this reality. I would feel sorry for him if he wasn't running the city like a 350lb toddler.

This is complete nonsense. Did it ever occur to you that I actually agree with him on most issues? And I've been completely forthright in criticizing him when I don't. Not to mention that I believe I've been open about discussing issues surrounding the mayor, conceding points when I'm wrong and admitting when I'm ignorant about certain issues. If anything, I think you probably fall into the category of UT posters who use intellectually dishonest maneuvering to criticize the guy for any reason simply because he doesn't correspond with your non-conservative values.

I find you calling Rob Ford a conservative rather offensive. He's a populist. A real conservative would never propose massive amounts of new subways with no real plan to pay for them. A real conservative would never support adding $1 Billion in debt for a thee stop subway line that is in no way better than cheaper alternatives. A real conservative wouldn't dare to hurt businesses by saying nonsense like "downtown people have enough subways".

Ford isn't a conservative. Conservatives care about investing our money properly. He's nothing more than an opportunistic, simple minded populist.

I find you calling Rob Ford a conservative rather offensive. He's a populist. A real conservative would never propose massive amounts of new subways with no real plan to pay for them. A real conservative would never support adding $1 Billion in debt for a thee stop subway line that is in no way better than cheaper alternatives. A real conservative wouldn't dare to hurt businesses by saying nonsense like "downtown people have enough subways".

Ford isn't a conservative. Conservatives care about investing our money properly. He's nothing more than an opportunistic, simple minded populist.

True and exactly what I've been saying over and over. Ford isn't a conservative- he's a populist who throws aside his morals and convictions if it would mean achieving that little victory. The same must now be said of Stintz as well.

Someone like Minnan-Wong, like him or not, stays true to his convictions- hence his vote against the Scarborough subway line on the basis that it would result in higher taxes.

Did you mean to reply to me? I don't think he is. I think he's a shameless ignoramus who grew up close to and was co-opted, in the usual way that people are directed by communities, by a movement whose philosophical underpinnings he's aware he doesn't understand. The quote tells me he knows he's a product of outside forces but not to what extent, and he isn't sure where he ends and his environment begins. That social determinism is true for everyone btw, but Ford stands out because rarely you have people in such positions of power who can't point to a process of ideological deliberation, smart or silly. Ford comes across as if he's had no "bildung" and in the face of repeated attempts to justify his positions, is now consciously aware of it if he wasn't already. That's why he's impossible to draw into the open - not only will he lose, but it will have enormous psychological damage on him. That's also why he's doubling down on his stupidity; it allows him to defer this reality. I would feel sorry for him if he wasn't running the city like a 350lb toddler.

I agree with what you are saying....But Ford has had supernatural luck it seems, in terms of sliding through his escapades, and not being called to order. It feels like he also has people looking out for him, and pulling strings, so that his 'transgressions' get overlooked.

I find that most people who identify with a particular ideology have very little idea what that ideology entails. Conservatives being pro-free trade is one that really gets to me. As a political science major it can be infuriating (especially when so many people in the department identify ideologies falsely).

eta: the term "fiscal conservative" also drives me batty. Fiscal conservative means that you want your tax dollars spent well without a lot of waste, EVERYONE wants that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back