431     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 483     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh re Tory vs Chow: esp. if we're looking at that kind of Ford-less (and, perhaps, Soknacki-less) race, let's not be too hard on Tory's chances. Lest we forget, he ran a darned good Mayoral campaign in 2003--but even more to the point, whatever his rich-establishment "failings", if it comes down to that straight one-on-one race, he'll inherit in toto that right/centre-right power-broker base...which is something that the "Chow left" ought to eye very carefully.

John Tory's a "loser"? So seemed Art Eggleton vs Sewell in 1980--keep that in mind. (And in Winnipeg, Judy W-L looked like a hero-of-the-left shoe-in vs the chequered Sam Katz--wasn't to be.)

Who's idea was it to use anti-graffiti utility box wraps?

It started with the mailboxes, but the idea has spread to other boxes. I don't think Rob thought of it.
I think that these 'wrapping programmes" are BIA initiatives. The Central Business District BIA has wrapped many of the streetlighting/streetcar poles in their area and has recently started wrapping the huge traffic light control boxes. The St Lawrence Market BIA has commissioned artists to decorate some of the Bell Canada boxes and are, apparently, also working on plans to wrap poles and traffic light boxes.

Just to put this out there - there's graffiti done well (street art), and then there's "tagging". I unfortunately rent a place that sits on a street that I know the mayor uses to get to work, and parts of it are always getting tagged... and it always yields a letter from the city, and it always has to be painted over. It's a couple of places that get it, actually. And I swear it's Ford himself that uses that damn graffiti app to report it!

That being said, I would *love* to commission a street artist to do something - but if it doesn't get tagged over right away, it'll be reported as graffiti no doubt. So, I'll just continue to paint it and paint it and paint it...

But personally, I like the buildup of tags - at some point it does become artistic, or at least "historic". It's a tag on a blank surface that looks terrible. You either have to let it accrue so that it gets a certain density, or keep painting over it to make it look like nothing ever happens. Considering the maintenance (and cost) of the latter, it makes a lot more sense to think "How can this look nice even if it's tagged". It's basically that philosophy that led to the Canada Post mailboxes getting the wrap/graphic that they have... it can get tagged and it's not nearly as crappy as a pure red surface that has been tagged. Maybe I won't give up on the idea of something interesting just yet...

Last edited:
Don't underestimate the ABF (anyone but Ford) movement next year. Many people will vote for whoever has the best chance against this buffoon regardless of party affiliations. Tory, Chow--it doesn't really matter. Most of us just want someone who can professionally represent this city's interests.

The lengths you'll go to to find the truth in what ford says, and through recalibrating your values on the spot enlarge what he's done so that they can be held up as examples of good policy are risible. Everything you write smacks of intellectually dishonest maneuvering to defend a guy in the moment who loosely corresponds with your conservative values. Get real.

This is complete nonsense. Did it ever occur to you that I actually agree with him on most issues? And I've been completely forthright in criticizing him when I don't. Not to mention that I believe I've been open about discussing issues surrounding the mayor, conceding points when I'm wrong and admitting when I'm ignorant about certain issues. If anything, I think you probably fall into the category of UT posters who use intellectually dishonest maneuvering to criticize the guy for any reason simply because he doesn't correspond with your non-conservative values.

I think that these 'wrapping programmes" are BIA initiatives. The Central Business District BIA has wrapped many of the streetlighting/streetcar poles in their area and has recently started wrapping the huge traffic light control boxes. The St Lawrence Market BIA has commissioned artists to decorate some of the Bell Canada boxes and are, apparently, also working on plans to wrap poles and traffic light boxes.

The Church-Wellesley BIA had the Bell boxes painted about two years ago by various artists, they look great. Poles are now being painted by artists, with much controversy right now.

Back a page, as one who proudly grew up in Scarborough it's reassuring to see so many posts re: pro-LRT & anti-Ford. Like the rest of the city, the majority of those who live in Scarborough are smart, informed people.

I've sent a letter to my Councillor asking her to go through the process of putting in a complaint with the Integrity Commissioner re: yesterday's campaign robo-call, or advise me how to do so. She angrily tweeted about it yesterday, so I think she's on it already.

This is complete nonsense. Did it ever occur to you that I actually agree with him on most issues? And I've been completely forthright in criticizing him when I don't. Not to mention that I believe I've been open about discussing issues surrounding the mayor, conceding points when I'm wrong and admitting when I'm ignorant about certain issues. If anything, I think you probably fall into the category of UT posters who use intellectually dishonest maneuvering to criticize the guy for any reason simply because he doesn't correspond with your non-conservative values.

Those passive/aggressive courses are really paying off. :p

But personally, I like the buildup of tags - at some point it does become artistic, or at least "historic".

Though it's still best when controlled/mediated. Like, a tag on something that's already of distinction (like, disfiguring an old painted advertisement) doesn't become any more excusable through multiplicity. And let's also not forget the difficult decision New York had to make re the subway in the 1970s...

Don't underestimate the ABF (anyone but Ford) movement next year. Many people will vote for whoever has the best chance against this buffoon regardless of party affiliations. Tory, Chow--it doesn't really matter. Most of us just want someone who can professionally represent this city's interests.

OTOH no Ford = no problem; in which case, a Tory/Chow race *really* becomes a pure Tory/Chow race.

Take another 2000 words to explain why it isn't a big deal if the mayor smokes crack, is suspiciously close to a MURDER victim, drives drunk, lies on a consistent basis, shuts the media out, verbally assaults people, wanders the streets shitfaced, demonstrates no understanding of transit planning, antagonizes half the city, can't form a complete sentence, and consorts with a constellation of confirmed low-lifes, as long as he says he's committed to not raising taxes, even if he does so anyway. You've done a really bang up job of showing how a human mind can justify anything as long as it identifies with the ideology it gives lip service to. I'm curious, if Ford IS charged with a crime, will you still testify to his fitness for mayor? If he were incarcerated while holding the mayor's seat and it were possible to run the city from prison, would you still support him?

I'm curious, are you into Ayn Rand? Because you leave that autistic true believer impression.

You're done here. So is your disgrace of a representative. Ignore.

CowboyLogic has repeatedly demonstrated that he is a disingenuous hack, no purpose can be served by addressing him directly as he has shown he is nearly incapable of arguing in good faith. Anyone who follows this thread with any regularity, who keeps up with what is reported from the various media outlets, and still would throw their support behind Ford (A man whose proffesional and personal associations in and outside the criminal world show that his interests do not align with those of the average working class stiff he claims to represent) qualifies as a selfish, gullible asshole whose opinions and worldview should be viewed with suspicion and contempt.

The Church-Wellesley BIA had the Bell boxes painted about two years ago by various artists, they look great. Poles are now being painted by artists, with much controversy right now.

Back a page, as one who proudly grew up in Scarborough it's reassuring to see so many posts re: pro-LRT & anti-Ford. Like the rest of the city, the majority of those who live in Scarborough are smart, informed people.

I've sent a letter to my Councillor asking her to go through the process of putting in a complaint with the Integrity Commissioner re: yesterday's campaign robo-call, or advise me how to do so. She angrily tweeted about it yesterday, so I think she's on it already.

That reminds me, someone on reddit posted a link to the Code of Conduct Complaint protocol. It's over here: http://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/com...firms_mayor_ford_waged_robocall_smear/ccq7kwk

I'm firing off a mail myself. This fucker needs to stop.

Why are you guys fighting? Is it really worth it, to get worked up?
When I turn my mind to conspiracy theories, this is one that I contemplate about Rob Ford:
What if he was hired' to dissolve Toronto and 'Detroitify' our city?The reasons why I haven't completely figured out, but the one of the first steps to achieve it, beyond allowing infrastructure to fall into disrepair, is to pit citizens against one another.
When we can't calmly work on the challenges we are facing, then the dark Ford nation forces have won.
One of their tactics is to be loud, obnoxious, and yell over anyone else.
How we must retaliate is to be very well organized, calm, and totally dedicated to educating everyone who will listen.

Well, more like if one were to translate your "values" in terms of domestic architecture, you'd wind up with something like this.

wengleforesthill.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back