185     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 471     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 591     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what's worse. Robbie's statement that it's no ones business what goes on in his office or the fact he made it during a press conference to celebrate the one-year anniversary of his Chicago vacation that didn't cost taxpayers 'one-red cent' -- but actually did.

Not sure what's worse. Robbie's statement that it's no ones business what goes on in his office or the fact he made it during a press conference to celebrate the one-year anniversary of his Chicago vacation that didn't cost taxpayers 'one-red cent' -- but actually did.

No... What's worse is watching the Ford Nation fan club agree with him that it's not our business.

You know, it is a bloody shame that Royal Canadian Air Farce was canceled just a few years before Ford became mayor... :(

The show was going downhill personally, but man Ford could have given it such an adrenaline boost :D

That show's high was in the mid 1990s, and the 1995 referendum episode, three days before the vote - they build a whole episode around the Yes side winning (anchored by a parody of Peter Mansbridge). The year later, there was the classic set of bank commercials featuring Canadian musicians (and in the end, Bob Dylan for mbanx) around the controversial use of Dylan's Times They Are A Changin' for the mbanx commercial. Such a great show back then.

Did Ford ever show the benefits of the trade mission to Chicago? And what happened to the trade mission to Boston? I believe it was cancelled, but why was it not re-planned? Isn't it likely that there are more similarities between Boston and Toronto than Austin and Toronto? Aren't there more business connections?

NP: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford heading to Texas to study Austin’s celebrated live music scene

Mayor Rob Ford is heading to Austin, Texas, in two weeks to visit the Austin City Limits festival, where he will groove to the likes of Depeche Mode, The Cure, Lionel Richie, Phoenix and Wilco.

Toronto city council in July approved a “Music City Allliance” with Austin, an alliance also approved by Austin’s city council.

“It’s kind of like a factory visit,” Renato Discenza, chief executive of Invest Toronto, said of the trip in early October. Mr. Discenza will accompany the mayor on the trip. He said Invest Toronto will pay the airfare and expenses for councillors Michael Thompson, Gary Crawford and Josh Cole to accompany the mayor on the trip, while the mayor and his brother, Councillor Doug Ford, will pay their own expenses out of their own pockets.

“Austin is the live music capital of North America,” Mr. Discenza added. “We want to understand how they do it.”

Invest Toronto is paying for the expenses of three councillors. But who is the chair of Invest Toronto? Mayor Rob Ford.

http://www.investtoronto.ca/Invest-Toronto/Board-of-Directors.aspx

Last edited:
I heard on the radio that in the Thursday Star (print version), the Ford / Price story was front page news and not the train / bus crash in Ottawa. I will check the old papers at the library if this is true.

If true, it does reflect poorly on the Star and their claim that they are not unfairly picking on the Mayor.

I suppose when you've got a hammer labeled "Media Bias Against Ford", every bit of coverage looks like a nail.

Even if the timing made it possible to make it the main story (which isn't necessarily the case), it has been argued at length here that the Toronto Star isn't a national newspaper. I could see you having a case if the bus crash happened in Toronto, but for the most part I'd say that it's more local ottawa news. It was also the main coverage on the Toronto Star's website up until last night (when they had a big story with information about those who lost their life), so you'll have to find a way to fit that into your picking-unfairly-on-ford narrative.

To be clear, I have no idea where the line is drawn between local and national news stories when it comes to putting on the front page - for example, the disaster at Lac Megantic would certainly hit the front page of every paper in the country.

EDIT: Guys did you see that the main story on The Red Star's website right now is about grass coming to the Rogers' Centre? So much going on in the world and this is what they focus on. They are pushing their pro-baseball agenda so hard it makes me sick to my stomach.

i'd be very skeptical that rob ford and his team could learn anything practical about austin's music scene, like, virtually everything useful to be learned probably could have been gleaned by asking some of toronto's local music organizations, performers and entrepreneurs what some of the barriers are to their success. like, it's pretty simple stuff down in austin - later closing hours, a downtown without many residents, lax liquor controls, and a large number of venues in a relatively low cost environment. what can toronto do about that? closing hours maybe, i'm not even sure it's legal to lower taxes on one class of business like performance venues. rob ford is going down there for a vacation, full stop.

The print version was likely printed BEFORE the bus crash happened

The crash happened before 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday. That 12 to 15 hours was not enough time to meet the deadline for the Thursday paper.

I suppose when you've got a hammer labeled "Media Bias Against Ford", every bit of coverage looks like a nail.

Even if the timing made it possible to make it the main story (which isn't necessarily the case), it has been argued at length here that the Toronto Star isn't a national newspaper. I could see you having a case if the bus crash happened in Toronto, but for the most part I'd say that it's more local ottawa news. It was also the main coverage on the Toronto Star's website up until last night (when they had a big story with information about those who lost their life), so you'll have to find a way to fit that into your picking-unfairly-on-ford narrative.

The crash occurred in Ontario and the train was coming to Toronto. I am sure there were countless Torontonians on the train.

If the *only* news article on the front page Star that day is the Price story, then you might have a point - I would think that your trip to the local library will reveal that isn't the case. So at best perhaps you can claim that the Star has a thing against people killed in a transportation accident instead.

AoD

Last edited:
[sarcasm]Waah! Evil Red Star calls extremely controversial video game a violent masterpiece! Ban the Star! It condones evil! It is corrupting our Ford-loving youth! It's making them smoke crack cocaine and attack innocent bystanders! Now we know why the Red Star is red. It is covered in blood!

Oh, and TTC buses are plastered with ads for that game! Go Pixar and their Cars! Get rid of those Evil Red Buses![/sarcasm]

Last edited:
The crash occurred in Ontario and the train was coming to Toronto. I am sure there were countless Torontonians on the train.

Countless? There were about 100 people on the train. I don't know how many people were from the GTA on board. More would have been picked up at Fallowfield, some would have got off (passengers from Montreal/Dorval detraining). No one was seriously injured on the train.

The Globe and Mail and Toronto Sun deemed the David Price story worthy of covering once the Star published it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back