353     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 510     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 631     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard on the radio that in the Thursday Star (print version), the Ford / Price story was front page news and not the train / bus crash in Ottawa. I will check the old papers at the library if this is true.

The last two times I have visited the Star's website, the train crash has been front and center... and there's a fluff piece below it about how fans of ford came out to ford fest. ready to give it up, yet? or will you try to pull another theory out of your butt the next time ford does something wrong and the star writes about it?

Apparently Fordfest was quite the success/spectacle last night. Shows that regardless of his conduct, he should not be underestimated going into the next election.

Jonathan Goldsbie ‏@goldsbie said:
Exactly at 10:00, the minute the whole thing ended, it began to rain. This man's streak of luck is beyond incredible.
https://twitter.com/Goldsbie

Regardless,

Mayor Rob Ford is declining to answer questions about the conduct of a top aide, saying it is “no one’s business” what happens in his office.

[...]

Pressed about the allegations Thursday, Mr. Ford said he does not discuss personnel matters and attempted to steer questions to his family’s annual Ford Fest barbeque on Friday.

“It’s actually no one’s business what happens in my office,” Mr. Ford said when asked why he would not comment. “I take care of the people that work for me and they do a great job.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...taffers-alleged-misbehaviour/article14430956/

Apparently Fordfest was quite the success/spectacle last night. Shows that regardless of his conduct, he should not be underestimated going into the next election.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Goldsbie ‏@goldsbie
Exactly at 10:00, the minute the whole thing ended, it began to rain. This man's streak of luck is beyond incredible.
https://twitter.com/Goldsbie

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...taffers-alleged-misbehaviour/article14430956/

Maybe Ford has connections with those in the business of the occult.

Important to note that these people are also probably honest and hardworking, but their views have been heavily distorted by Ford's messaging. Main points to take away from this- note that the majority of these people mention his 'honest everyman' persona as a highly attractive point. They want someone they can relate to- someone who doesn't tell them what to do (rightly or wrongly), someone who they can have a friendly conversation with. Any candidate will need to take these views into consideration, but can these people be conviced of an alternative? If probably not.

Mayor Rob Ford: Six quick views from Ford Fest
We asked six people at Rob Ford's Etobicoke barbecue Friday what they thought of him.
By: Daniel Dale City Hall, Published on Fri Sep 20 2013

1. Lino Menezes, 52, engineer

What do you like most about Ford? “I think he’s trying to stop the waste at city hall. Whether he’s been successful or not, I’m not sure. But I think people oppose him just to oppose him.”

What do you think he needs to improve? “I think if he could somehow get to work better with other people, and other people get to work better with him.”

2. Jackie Baisten, 56, nurse

What do you like most about Ford? “I think he’s very down to earth. He’s a people person. And when I bring my grandson to soccer, we can go up easily and talk to him. He’s always welcoming people, very warm.”

What do you think he needs to improve? “I like everything about him.”

3. Louise Landry, 82, retired

What do you like most about Ford? “I like his personality. I don’t know, he just seems to take everything in stride, take everything so easy. Because I couldn’t put up with it. I take a lot, but I couldn’t put up with all that garbage that he takes.”

What do you think he needs to improve? “I’m satisfied with him.”

4. Cheryl Hancock, 50, secretary

What do you like most about Ford? “I think he’s honest. I think he’s done a lot for the city of Toronto . . . I think all the publicity he’s been getting is all for nothing. If he smokes weed, I don’t care.”

What do you think he needs to improve? “Well, I think he can handle himself a little better. Not getting intoxicated in public, that would be good.”

5. Ralph D’Mello, 42, network engineer

What do you like most about Ford? “His charmingness. He’s very friendly to people. And the decisions he’s been making so far are positive for the city. I like what he’s doing for the TTC, the Scarborough line.”

What do you think he needs to improve? “I think he should be getting out of the face of the media and trying to be good with them, because they spoil his image a lot. All his bad image is in the paper, not the good.”

6. Graham Walton, 58, gospel singer

What do you like most about Ford? “He’s got good warm blood, and his priorities are right with regard to not increasing ratepayers’ taxes. Because I think that’s a core issue. For that I give him a lot of credit, because he stands his ground.”

What do you think he needs to improve? “We all make mistakes, and he’s made a few. He needs to be careful — technical mishaps and other such things. He needs to be a little more careful. But I don’t think that should sabotage his position as mayor.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/09/20/mayor_rob_ford_six_quick_views_from_ford_fest.html#

I'm sure they are hard-working, stand-up, salt-of-the-earth citizens among many other folksy hyphenated adjectives but they are clearly not bright, inarticulate and don't have a clue.

Important to note that these people are also probably honest and hardworking, but their views have been heavily distorted by Ford's messaging. Main points to take away from this- note that the majority of these people mention his 'honest everyman' persona as a highly attractive point. They want someone they can relate to- someone who doesn't tell them what to do (rightly or wrongly), someone who they can have a friendly conversation with. Any candidate will need to take these views into consideration, but can these people be conviced of an alternative? If probably not.

Remember that the dreaded Jack Layton--he who was married to Ford's greatest mayoral threat--resonated similarly in 2011.

I am always astounded when people praise Ford's honesty despite him having been caught out in lie after lie.

Glen Murray tries to put the screws to Ford's Scarborough subway plan but Harper throws in the winning card. Well played.

Glen Murray tries to put the screws to Ford's Scarborough subway plan but Harper throws in the winning card. Well played.

I think we really need to see how much money the Feds are ponying up here before we determine if this is an actual "win", or just politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back