157     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 345     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
CalgarianExOntarian, nobody is forcing you to click on this thread and read it. Unless you are being held captive and forced to do so. In that case, call the police.

Not being held captive. I take your point. Sorry, I'm finding the digressions painful after seeing so many good posts that were way more pertinent. It would be seriously hypocritical of me to insist that everybody be terse and relevant. Freedom to state opinions is good.

I understand your frustrations, Calgarian. I get it, too. I wish every day that some juicy Ford news is posted here. I check this site constantly to see if someone links us to the crack video. Sometimes the discussion goes off topic when it's a slow news day(s) but sure enough, Ford is the gift that keeps on giving, eventually!

I don't blame Zeppelin as a whole for the plagiarism, I blame Jimmy Page. Even when he was in The Yardbirds they did their own version of Dazed And Confused which completely ripped off Jake Holmes' original.

Yeah, that's fair.

I like this music chat. It's a good way to pass time before the big news starts trickling out next week.

Exactly. It's a harmless and civil tangent. The thread would be dead otherwise. I'm sure we'll all be back on subject when there's something new to discuss.

Wait, big news trickling out next week? Do you know or are you hoping?

I just know what pretty much everyone knows. Monday is The Star/Globe and Mail's hearing with the Ontario Press Council and later in the week the media lawyers will state their case to a judge for public disclosure of the Project Traveler search warrants.

I just know what pretty much everyone knows. Monday is The Star/Globe and Mail's hearing with the Ontario Press Council and later in the week the media lawyers will state their case to a judge for public disclosure of the Project Traveler search warrants.

Ah, I've been too busy with work and other projects...I totally forgot about that being next week.

there were a few bands like Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Stones, Eagles............

i'm sorry, did you just mention The Eagles? In the same sentence as the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin? Please stop, you've revealed all we need to know, because the Eagles really suck.

[video=youtube;8bdeizHM9OU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bdeizHM9OU[/video]

i'm sorry, did you just mention The Eagles? In the same sentence as the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin? Please stop, you've revealed all we need to know, because the Eagles really suck.

[video=youtube;8bdeizHM9OU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bdeizHM9OU[/video]

Haha, just to totally and gracelessly dismount from my previous high horse, and make a peace offering on a slow news night, which of these songs UTTERLY does not belong with the others ... ?

(a) Gimme Shelter
(b) Whole Lotta Love
(c) Wish You Were Here
(d) Hotel California

Hint: It is not one of the first 3 letters of the alphabet.

Last edited:
Calgarian has a point. I don't know where the talk about the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin came from, but it certainly has nothing to do with Ford.

Though I have offered my "feedback & distortion" theory re the Ford/Palin/whatever school of politics. (And, categorized thusly, said school-of-politics marks the degraded end game for half a century plus of mass rock worship.)

Wait, did you just use Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones as examples of the "new" and non-derivative music of the 60s and 70s?

Clearly...I did not. I said they represented what was mainstream popular music of the day (along with an endless list of similarly huge names, a lot of which we still know and listen to today). But blues-based rock is not the blues. Led Zep was no more a blues band than The Police were a reggae band, although the influences were obvious.

There's a hell of a lot more to today's music than Lady Gaga

Mainstream pop music? A hell of a lot more of the same crap mostly. There is a lot of great contemporary music...it just isn't that mainstream. Music is far too much about vocals these days...not so much "bands". And even the vocals aren't that good (with or without autotune). Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone and Karen Dalton would be laughed off X Factor).

But all of this is so horribly off topic that it really needs to end at some point...

But not until you've had your say though...right? he he

Freshcutgrass,

Many young people today do listen to good music, but that music is never on the radio. The dynamic has changed, and now those who appreciate good tunes find them online and enjoy them with each other. The corporate music industry has been left out of the loop for the most part.

The dynamic has changed, and now those who appreciate good tunes find them online and enjoy them with each other.

Yea...I'm still here and I am aware what's going on. I'm not out of the loop. I know there's good contemporary music being made. The entire point was what constitutes mainstream popular music....the zeitgeist of the moment. This is what influences the public in general....a large, constant flow of talent. If you don't believe me, then just look at the Billboard top 100 from any year of the 70's or 80's, and then compare it with any year from the 90's on. It is quite clear that talent as a component of mainstream popular music went straight of a facking cliff.

Yes...people are downloading mostly talentless music (yea...I know you think it is good) in the form of free low-fi files. And listening to it through your low-fi playback system. And you really aren't listening to it, because you are invariably doing something else and just have your ear buds in. You probably aren't going to see much of these "bands" play live either.

The recording industry knows this is what you are doing, which is why the quality of the recording is terrible because you wouldn't hear the difference anyway. It's been a very sad race to the bottom, and I've watched it happen. Yes...there's some great young talent out there, but the "Indie" scene has become saturated to the point where it is the new mainstream. It's kinda like getting a tattoo in 2013...what is the point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back