60     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I understand your point about there being nothing new in the last 30 years, could you explain it because I'm pretty sure there are many thing we use every day now that most people 30 years wouldn't have imagined.

Yeah, I was just being nostalgic with the buddies about those crazy hand held mobile phones with the real time video communication from the other side of the world that we had back in high school in the late 70s.

That's just technology. If anything, social media has had a regressive effect on our ability to communicate. Ever listen to a university educated twenty-something struggle to put together a sentence. That's why the telephone is no longer used as much for "speaking"...we just send pictures and unintelligible text messages.

I was in high school in the late 70's...are you sure you were? There may not have been cell phones, but I can't even count the number of new musical genres that were around. What have youth come up with in the last 30 years...rap? Wearing your pants falling down? Otherwise we have just been recycling old ideas and pretending they are new.

Like Fran Lebowitz said in Public Speaking, "When [Americans say] ‘elite,’ they don't mean rich—America loves rich people—they mean smart.â€

And that's why I love Franny....she's funny...because it's true.

That's why elected officials (Doug Ford) can actually get away with hitting new anti-intellectual lows like attacking "lie berries" and Margaret Atwood.

I was in high school in the late 70's...are you sure you were? There may not have been cell phones, but I can't even count the number of new musical genres that were around. What have youth come up with in the last 30 years...rap? Wearing your pants falling down? Otherwise we have just been recycling old ideas and pretending they are new.

Is this a serious post? Or did you make it and then forget to attach the screencap of the "Old man yells at cloud" newpaper clipping of Grandpa Simpson to let us all know you were joking?

i would dearly love to see the sub thread where 70's "new musical genres" gets debated.

in other news, i'm fascinated by vella musing about running. i'm surprised there aren't more police on council.

So Ford is taking credit for bringing subways to Scarborough. Yeah, you did a great job there Robbie.

I think more specifically the problem is that the pejorative word “elite†has come to refer to those of higher taste and intellect, rather than those of higher economic privilege. Like Fran Lebowitz said in Public Speaking, "When [Americans say] ‘elite,’ they don't mean rich—America loves rich people—they mean smart.†Thus, someone like Ford is popularly considered a plebeian for his bottom-of-the-barrel intellect, taste, opinions, etc., while someone who has much less money than Ford but whose subjectivity is based in a university education and who is more informed than most people is considered elite. This is the disaster that is our popular conception of elitism.

Shouldn't this have been clear from the start? Indeed, I'm sure a lot of us have encountered the straight-outa-high-school "self-made rich" a la Deco sneering at Starbucks baristas with their humanities degrees. Downtowners are losers: spending a million on a mouldy broom closet because they think quadruple-car-garage McMansions out Schomberg way are beneath them...

So Ford is taking credit for bringing subways to Scarborough. Yeah, you did a great job there Robbie.

The conversion of the SRT was part of Transit City, so the extension actually is due to the work of Miller. ;)

His statement from yesterday:
I campaigned on extending the Bloor-Danforth Subway Line to the Scarborough Town Centre. I want to thank the Province for helping me deliver on that promise.
Over the last four years, I have fought against the LRT for a subway to Scarborough - because that is what Scarborough residents asked me to do.
I said we were going to build subways to Scarborough and that is exactly what we are doing.
The City of Toronto and the Province of Ontario are now ready to build transit.
This is great news and a huge victory for all of us. Scarborough will finally get its subway.
I look forward to continuing a strong working relationship with the Premier and the Province of Ontario.
Moving forward, my administration will keep working with the Province of Ontario and the Government of Canada to continue expanding Toronto’s transit system.

His statement from yesterday:
I campaigned on extending the Bloor-Danforth Subway Line to the Scarborough Town Centre. I want to thank the Province for helping me deliver on that promise.
Over the last four years, I have fought against the LRT for a subway to Scarborough - because that is what Scarborough residents asked me to do.
I said we were going to build subways to Scarborough and that is exactly what we are doing.
The City of Toronto and the Province of Ontario are now ready to build transit.
This is great news and a huge victory for all of us. Scarborough will finally get its subway.
I look forward to continuing a strong working relationship with the Premier and the Province of Ontario.
Moving forward, my administration will keep working with the Province of Ontario and the Government of Canada to continue expanding Toronto’s transit system.

"Subways to Scarborough", I always thought Scarborough wards begin at Victoria Park, has anyone told Robbie that we have three subway stations out here in the collective of "Toronto East Rural Communities"?

You could have chosen to have your kid home-schooled, and he could have joined school later on on the condition that he stopped showing up during an epidemic if one broke out. It's a fairly pragmatic and flexible system and I endorse it.

I realise that for Western social-democratic standards they are relatively mandatory, but there are countries where parents are threatened with jail if they do not comply with the mandatory vaccination of their children. Being familiar with that reality, that's what comes to mind when people speak of mandatory vaccination.

So... they're mandatory. Unless you opt-out of Canadian society.

BTW -- I'd love to see a link or actual country cited for either (a) joining the school system unvaccinated after a period of home schooling or (b) a country that jails parents over refusal to vaccinate. I have never heard of either thing before.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/pre-2007/files/health/vaccines/does.html

Q: Is immunization compulsory in Canada? Does my child have to be immunized?

A: Immunization is not compulsory or "forced" in Canada, but we do have regulations that help ensure that as many people as possible are protected by vaccines from the diseases they prevent. Some provinces require certain vaccines to be given before a child can enter school, but these are not mandatory in the usual sense of the term.

Rather, parents (or children, if they are old enough to give consent) are required to declare a choice of whether to have their child (or themselves) immunized or not. If they choose not to, the child may be told that he or she must stay home from school if there is an outbreak of disease.

This rule is designed to keep unimmunized children from getting sick and to keep the outbreak from spreading. School entry regulations also give parents an opportunity to bring their child's immunizations up to date.

Source: Health Canada

Q: Is immunization required for attendance at school or day care in Ontario ?

A: For children attending school in Ontario, a written immunization record or proof of immunization is required, by law, for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps and rubella unless there is a valid written exemption. Parents/guardians are required to provide this information to their local public health unit, and to update the information as necessary. There are specific vaccines required for children attending licensed daycare centres. You should contact your local public health unit or check with your daycare centre, for the specific immunization requirements.

You may decide because of medical, religious or philosophical reasons not to immunize your child. In this case, a valid written exemption will be required. If the disease appears in your child's school or daycare, your child may have to stay out of school/daycare until the disease is no longer present.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-03-12-3958236654_x.htm

Two sets of parents in Belgium were recently handed five-month prison terms for failing to vaccinate their children against polio. Each parent was also fined $8,000.

"It's a pretty extraordinary case," said Dr. Ross Upshur, director of the Joint Centre for Bioethics at the University of Toronto. "The Belgians have a right to take some action against the parents, given the seriousness of polio, but the question is, is a prison sentence disproportionate?"

The parents' sentences were delayed to give them a chance to vaccinate their children. But if that deadline also passes without the children receiving the injections, the parents could be put behind bars.

For the record, I don't think we should accept exceptions on the basis of 'religious grounds' (which basically means you have no rational reason for refusing one), but there you go.

For the record, I don't think we should accept exceptions on the basis of 'religious grounds' (which basically means you have no rational reason for refusing one), but there you go.

Should we accept not treating infections on the basis of religious grounds as well? What about broken legs? Burns?

Adults can do whatever they like to their own bodies. When they're harming their kids, it's child abuse.

Yeah, I was in high school in the late 70's. Unfortunately (getting old sucks).

If you make use of this new technology instead of being all grandpappy you can find a great diversity of music being made today, much of it interesting in the way it reinterprets older traditions (as any art has always done). That said, debating the relative quality of music over the decades is about as tangential to the subject of this thread as going on about vaccines, and I doubt the thrust of popular music in the time any of us have been alive has had anything to do with restricting its practice or enjoyment to the elites.

Anyway, "elites" as Ford uses it is a meaningless term. It's a boogieman, used to create an enemy that doesn't exist. I've never been able to understand who is being referenced by the term "downtown elite". Is it the Rosedale moneyed class, or the Queen St. hipsters? The Bay St. lawyers or the Church St. queers? Executives or artists? Jet-setters or bicycle riders? All of the above? Anyone who questions consumerism and the values of the suburbs? Likewise, I don't know who the relative non-elites in the suburbs are. Maybe some retired working class, but the burbs must also be well-populated by professionals, managers, and public employees, as educated in terms of having attended university or college as those in any other part of the city.

Should we accept not treating infections on the basis of religious grounds as well? What about broken legs? Burns?

Adults can do whatever they like to their own bodies. When they're harming their kids, it's child abuse.
Agreed.

[video=youtube;8Eam-z1bwrk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Eam-z1bwrk[/video]

Thanks for that, RC8. I stand corrected (and aghast.) However, I still think that this is a case of 'voluntary but not really voluntary'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back