473     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 582     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Among topics discussed was the rumor that Ford was stopped by Police after driving home from Councillor Norm Kelly's BBQ Wednesday night. Ford confirmed there was no truth to the rumor.

Of course, a Ford denial should generally be understood as something that actually happened but has yet to be proven.

Cia ‏@cia_today
friend of mine got knocked off his bike by #robford at dundas/oss last night, but inexplicably did not call the police #worstmayor

It's a pretty active thread, but as yet no name for the bicyclist. Besides, our hearts may bleed for them but it's really their own damn fault...

Of course, a Ford denial should generally be understood as something that actually happened but has yet to be proven.

It's a pretty active thread, but as yet no name for the bicyclist. Besides, our hearts may bleed for them but it's really their own damn fault...

1. No police statement
2. No pictures
3. No documented injuries reported to EMS/hospital
4. Story heard "from a friend of friend of a friend of a friend"
5. No actual victim going on record.

It's like there is a conspiracy to have Rob Ford re-elected

JWBF:

And of course, it would be Götterdämmerung in Der Ring des Nibelungen. Definitely should get the COC to do a Toronto interpretation of it...involving subways, streetcars, the provincial government and an allegorical gravy train...with Don Cherry serving as the costume designer given his impeccable good taste.

AoD

Last edited:
JWBF:

And of course, it would be Götterdämmerung in Der Ring des Nibelungen. Definitely should get the COC to do a Toronto interpretation of it...involving subways, streetcars, the provincial government and an allegorical gravy train...with Don Cherry serving as the costume designer given his impeccable good taste.

AoD
Yes, I want to watch some good opera, with Rob Ford being the lead falsetto.

Wagner's music is still popular a few centuries after his death. I wonder about music of the 1970s or music of the 2010s if they would be popular in 2250. I really hope that people in 2250 would not compose music so bad that Justin Bieber's music is like Mozart in comparison.

I wonder if Rob Ford would make it to the history textbooks in 2250 as well.

Last edited:
I wonder if Rob Ford would make it to the history textbooks in 2250 as well.

He'll be in the textbooks for the same reason that Mel Lastman is in the textbooks...

Somewhat related: It's amazing that the second the subway was approved, Rob Ford basically declared it a victory. It really goes to show that all he is REALLY concerned about is "subway" rather than "best transit for taxpayers"

EDIT: "[Norm] Kelly said he doesn’t care if the Sheppard East LRT is ever built — one day the Sheppard subway will loop right into the Bloor-Danforth line at Kennedy, he told the Star." Source

Last edited:
In 2013, technology is culture, whether freshcutgrass wants to acknowledge it or not.

Is that supposed to your strange interpretation of "the medium is the message"? ha ha

McLuhan tells us that a "message" is, "the change of scale or pace or pattern" that a new invention or innovation "introduces into human affairs."....not the content or use of the innovation, but the change in inter-personal dynamics that the innovation brings with it. So for the most part, the "Message" is that social media (the medium) represents an over abundance of "content", but an overall lack of quality of content as well as inferior communication skills (grammar, punctuation, spelling, not saying something until there is actually something interesting to say, etc). Was anything important ever said in a text? This is exactly what McLuhan warned us about.

A recording that will be seen globally the second it emerges. A recording that, when it emerges, will fundamentally change the political, social and cultural trajectory of the city.

I don't think our opinion of Mr Ford is going to change that much by watching the content of a video. The changes related to the technology has already happened...we have already changed our behaviour because of the fact that videos can be made instantly anywhere. Another good local example of this is the video of Sammy being shot on the streetcar, and whatever changes this will make on our opinion of police and what changes may be made to police procedure.

Toronto can produce a Marshal McLuhan and a Rob Ford, and yet it's Rob Ford we seem more fascinated by.

Was anything important ever said in a text?

1. “Tell the police to hurry. People are dying here!â€

Julie Bremnes, 16, sent this text message to her mother as Anders Breivik began his massacre on Utoya Island - her conversation, sustained by SMS because she didn't dare to raise her voice, became one of the defining records of the massacre. Bremnes survived.

2. "Barack has chosen Senator Joe Biden to be our VP nominee."
Barack Obama's decision to announce his choice of vice president via a mass text message marked a new era of 'personal' communication in politics. Obama's announcement arrived late for many of his supporters, though, as the sheer volume overwhelmed networks in the U.S.

3. "It's a DELIBERATE attack - a second plane just flew into the second tower"
This message, from an unknown witness, came to light as Wikileaks disclosed a full record of texts sent during the 9/11 attacks - a second-by-second account of the worst terrorist atrocity on U.S. soil. The controversial site has not disclosed how it came by the messages.

4. "Hello from Earth"
Text messages from all around the world were sent into space from the Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex in Australia, a 70m antenna capable of sending radio signals into deep space. The greeting was sent ot Gliese 581d - a planet outside our solar system thought to be able to support life.

My wife texted me that she was going into labour. It seemed kind of important to me.

Dude, it doesn't matter. Since some text messages are pointless (and even worse: a new technology), all text messages are worthless. Same goes for twitter statuses, facebook statuses, instagram photos, twitter posts, etc. The capacity for a higher signal to noise ratio means it's allllll noise.

Also, CD's ruined music and computers ruined writing. I'm too young to have heard what people thought when vinyl was introduced, cars were introduced, or when typewriters were introduced - but I'm pretty sure it was a similar argument because it always seems to be the same.

Sorry to go off-topic yet again...

You do realize that this is the ROB FORD THREAD, right? Not the communications/media theory thread in the PhilosophyToronto.ca forums?

Look, since it's obvious you don't really grasp the point I'm trying to make, and can't seem to communicate without sarcasm or putting words in my mouth...don't bother trying to interact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back