News   Mar 28, 2024
 610     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 439     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 769     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Upper Middle Road in 1917. See link.

Now the Queen Elizabeth Way. (Upper Middle Road became the upper section of the QEW.)

There are 3 roads here. Middle Road, Lower Middle Road and Upper Middle Road.

In mississauga, there is one concession road between Lakeshore and Dundas, and that is Middle Road.

You will notice at the Mississauga - Oakville boundary, the lake dips south. Through most of Oakville, there are 2 concession roads between Lakeshore and Dundas, these were Lower and Upper Middle Road. At the Ford plant, the QEW dips a bit and switches from Middle Road to Lower Middle Road.

I need to check an old map on exactly what the current Royal Windsor Dr. was called between Southdown to Winston Churchill to comple the picture.

I believe Royal Windsor Drive was originally just a part of Lower Middle Road before the QEW assumed Lower Middle through Oakville/Burlington. I think that afterwards it became part of the King's Highway 122 (along with what is now Southdown road) and then at some point was probably downloaded into what is today Royal Windsor Drive.

Last edited:
There is still a small piece of Lower Middle Road still in existence. At the rail corridor Royal Windsor does a bit of a jog, which was clearly a bypass built later to accommodate the overpass. The stub road that was bypassed when the overpass was put in is still called Lower Middle Rd.

Screenshot%202015-10-12%2013.37.49.png

I was on VIA yesterday, and we had a wonderful layover waiting for some freight. It happened to be right next to all the construction for the West Durham Link (a.k.a. The 412). So here's some pictures.

412 southbound to 401 eastbound ramp
IMG_20151011_132437.jpg

401 eastbound to 412 northbound ramp
IMG_20151011_132540.jpg

another angle
IMG_20151011_132827.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20151011_132437.jpg
    IMG_20151011_132437.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,224
  • IMG_20151011_132540.jpg
    IMG_20151011_132540.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,338
  • IMG_20151011_132827.jpg
    IMG_20151011_132827.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,155
The 407 East Phase 1 consortium has posted new aerial images of the project. A late December opening is looking extremely unlikely, unfortunately.

The Brock road Interchange, which opened in (i believe) July:

407-East-2015-09-27-Aerial-013_Web.jpg

The highway as it runs south of Brooklin:

407-East-2015-09-27-Aerial-093_Web.jpg

The temporary terminal interchange at Harmony Road:

407-East-2015-09-27-Aerial-148_Web.jpg

The future 401 and 412 interchange:

407-East-2015-09-27-Aerial-201_Web.jpg

The Westney Road overpass:

407-East-2015-09-27-Aerial-286_Web.jpg

What a destruction. And soon enough all the farmland you see will probably be gone when developers start building subdivisions next to the new highways.

But on the plus side, the main push for a new airport in Durham seemed to be coming from the federal Conservatives, especially Flaherty. Perhaps the Trudeau government will be somewhat less of a cheerleader for uncontrolled sprawl.

The majority of the farmland in the photos are protected, or belongs to the federal airport lands. The Pickering airport is sort of dead from my understanding, at least the Pickering-Uxbridge Liberal candidate (who was elected) had a strong anti airport stance, so we shall see. Even if Pickering does get built it will be a small GA airport which won't take much land.

The highway largely acts as the northern boundary of the future Durham urban area, and the 412 runs through a stretch of greenbelt protected lands that run down to the lake between Ajax and Whitby.

...The highway largely acts as the northern boundary of the future Durham urban area, and the 412 runs through a stretch of greenbelt protected lands that run down to the lake between Ajax and Whitby.

While the 412 does run through some greenbelt lands, it looks like the majority of the surrounding area will be going to development. It's been a highly contentious process but the overall plan is to put a further 26,000 people in the new West Whitby area (which includes 4,000 jobs).

Here's the link to the report which dates from 5 years ago, and that tells you how long it's been going back and forth from Town Council, Regional Council and OMB:
West Whitby Secondary Plan

But on the plus side, the main push for a new airport in Durham seemed to be coming from the federal Conservatives, especially Flaherty. Perhaps the Trudeau government will be somewhat less of a cheerleader for uncontrolled sprawl.

Unlike the previous Trudeau-led government, who pushed Mirabel and Pickering in the first place.

While the 412 does run through some greenbelt lands, it looks like the majority of the surrounding area will be going to development. It's been a highly contentious process but the overall plan is to put a further 26,000 people in the new West Whitby area (which includes 4,000 jobs).

Here's the link to the report which dates from 5 years ago, and that tells you how long it's been going back and forth from Town Council, Regional Council and OMB:
West Whitby Secondary Plan

I don't see a problem building up the east side of 412 as it's only 1 km or so from the built up area of Whitby anyways. The freeway is a perfectly appropriate boundary.

Unlike the previous Trudeau-led government, who pushed Mirabel and Pickering in the first place.
The previous (4th) Trudeau government was in the 1980s, after the Clark government. Pickering was stopped in 1975. So that's very early in the 3rd Trudeau government.

Given the Liberal MP is opposed to the Pickering airport, I doubt that much will happen. for the remainder of this decade.

* Technically it was actually the 5th Trudeau government ...but hard to count the first one much, given that Trudeau called an election 3 days after becoming Prime Minister during the 27th Parliament.

Clearly, the poster meant the "previous-Trudeau led government", that is, the sum of all governments led by Pierre :D
Though raises the spectre that a Trudeau would restore it; ignoring the almost 10 years that Trudeau was in power after Pickering was dead.

Back