News   Jul 19, 2024
 898     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.9K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

May 13
In the coming months, the current center lanes will be move to the new collector lanes so the existing lanes can be rebuilt. The old existing bridge footing will be removed at that time.

Work has starting for building the tunnel for the eastbound cut off that will go under Hurontario St and connect to Britannia Rd.

The last section for the collector westbound lanes will be pour this week and this will allow the centre lanes to be move to these lanes. The eastbound collectors lanes will be finish this month.

3/4 of the rebar for the northbound bridge is in place with part of it ready for pouring.

Some landscaping is taking place.

The new north service road west of Hurontario St will run right beside the on ramp for the westbound lanes.

There is about 100 photos of the whole area up on the site.
7198258114_e353da5c2e_b.jpg

7197536216_f32a089991_b.jpg

7197618552_0893ec7e6b_b.jpg

7197646436_d54c0cfb00_b.jpg

7197711694_05fac10e9d_b.jpg

7197760704_eaf28bbf14_b.jpg

7197783334_468b4208af_b.jpg

7197829058_aa03621e58_b.jpg

I drive through this every day in the morning and still find the pictures hard to follow.

I wish they'd just be done already!

I drive through this every day in the morning and still find the pictures hard to follow.

I wish they'd just be done already!

The photos on the site start on Hurontario, then the east side and then to the west side.

Bottom photo is eastbound, Westbound, original bridge, new North Service Rd, new North Service Rd & westbound on Ramp, looking west and the existing old supports.

2013 is completion date, sorry to say.

Awesome pics drum118! Thanks for the update!

I was able to drive through the site this weekend. Such a massive project for a short stretch of road. I think it will only be well utilized if / when the collector / express system is extended west through Mississauga.

Awesome pics drum118! Thanks for the update!

I was able to drive through the site this weekend. Such a massive project for a short stretch of road. I think it will only be well utilized if / when the collector / express system is extended west through Mississauga.

Well this is only Phase I right, from 410/403 to McLaughlin, Phase II is from McLaughlin to Mavis (not much of a phase, really, but an important one) and Phase III is Mavis to the Credit River IIRC.

Once all that does, it'll be quite useful. Though I think it should at least reach Winston Churchill or the 407.

Between Winston Churchill and Erin Mills / Mississagua Road is where the backup starts every morning going east and where it ends (although it starts again at Winston Churchill for the 407/Trafalgar slowdown) going west in the afternoon, so it'd help clean that area up should the collectors ever be extended that far... although by that time, I'll have moved much closer to work and not be using it daily anymore, I can hope.

Is it really only at Winston Churchilll ... that's about what it was back when I used to commute from KW to Brampton back in 1994 ... though that was before they built 407.

I keep hearing lots of stuff about Kelso and Milton from commuters these days on that stretch ... and I certainly see it when I'm heading the other direction.

Is it really only at Winston Churchilll ... that's about what it was back when I used to commute from KW to Brampton back in 1994 ... though that was before they built 407.

I keep hearing lots of stuff about Kelso and Milton from commuters these days on that stretch ... and I certainly see it when I'm heading the other direction.

I've been going from KW to North York for 4 weeks now, and usually it's James Snow - 407 and then Winston Churchill - 410 with some variances in length, but for some reason it's always normal speed for the 2 km between 407 and W/C. Although with Occupy MTO a few weeks back, it was halfway down the escarpment through 410... those were the days I wished I had a tank... or a Delorian.

Amazing how little it's worsened over the years ... even though they widened 401 from 2 lanes to 3 all the way from KW to Milton since then.

Amazing how little it's worsened over the years ... even though they widened 401 from 2 lanes to 3 all the way from KW to Milton since then.

Actually the 401's been 6-laned (3 lanes each way) between KW and Milton for quite some time. The recent work saw the stretch of the 401 between Highway 403 and Highway 8 6-laned.

In fact the 401 is now 6+ lanes between Highway 402 and Burnham Street, a distance of nearly 300km.

Actually the 401's been 6-laned (3 lanes each way) between KW and Milton for quite some time.
Indeed ... as I noted above, I used to drive it regularly back in 1994, before 3-laning was completed. Much of it was completed by 1995, and the gap between the 6's was a couple of years later, if I recall. I'm surprised that traffic through Mississauga is not much worse than it used to be back then, based on the reports above.

Indeed ... as I noted above, I used to drive it regularly back in 1994, before 3-laning was completed. Much of it was completed by 1995, and the gap between the 6's was a couple of years later, if I recall. I'm surprised that traffic through Mississauga is not much worse than it used to be back then, based on the reports above.

Could be because of the 407, although it is rather expensive for the time it saves.

Quick question, will there be a ramp from 401 east bound to 403 south bound toward the MCC? The other missing ramp in the system is QEW west bound to 403 north bound in order to get up to the 407 when the QEW is a mess at night.

Quick question, will there be a ramp from 401 east bound to 403 south bound toward the MCC? The other missing ramp in the system is QEW west bound to 403 north bound in order to get up to the 407 when the QEW is a mess at night.

Yes there will be, but a different contract and no idea when it will be tender.

When it is tender, a new westbound ramp to the 401 from 410 will be part of it.

I would say 2015 could be a start date, since the work for this interchange will be completed in 2013.

There is plans to put in a westbound ramp from the QEW to the 403 and to start in the next few years.

Back