News   Jul 19, 2024
 913     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.9K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

what about going east bound? u would need to take the 427 to get on the 401, no?
Yes ... 401 collectors eastbound to 427 north, to 409 to 401 eastbound. Might not work in PM rush if 427 is moving slowly ... and I haven't driven this in PM rush for long enough to know how 427 northbound behaves these days, north of 401.

Though looking at Google traffic right now at 7 pm, 427 north is green, 409 is green and 401 east is red 427 to Weston, so it work very well right now. In fact if you look at the directions now from 401/Dixie to 401/Black Creek it gives 2 options - 401 and 401/427/409/401 ... the first option is 8 minutes, but 14 minutes in current traffic, and the second option is 12 minutes (a 4 minute penalty for taking 409), but 12 minutes in current traffic. And certainly less frustrating, with the traffic moving.

Any update on this construction project?
Drum's Youtube videos are just above. They work fine for me.

what about going east bound? u would need to take the 427 to get on the 401, no?

That's what I do - 401-427-409-401. I don't do it westbound because at the the 409 is where traffic starts moving nicely on the 401 again until the Express/Collector merge at Hurontario. And then you're in gridlock through Trafalgar.

Any update on this construction project?

There is close to a 100 photo's up on Flickr shot a week ago of the interchange.

Drum's Youtube videos are just above. They work fine for me.

why does it take me to a sign in link? he needs to modify the link to go to his channel, the url might be coded to go somewhere else since its asking for log in?

Wouldn't that break the link to the individual videos? How would you see each video on this page?

Your set-up seems to be broken - it's working fine for other people.

how would it break the link to each individual video? the link i posted is in his signature. that link is not working. have u tried it lately? i had 10 people try it from different locations and it asks to sign in, no body wants to register a youtube login just to watch a bunch of highway construction videos, they said.

how would it break the link to each individual video? the link i posted is in his signature. that link is not working. have u tried it lately? i had 10 people try it from different locations and it asks to sign in, no body wants to register a youtube login just to watch a bunch of highway construction videos, they said.
I've never noticed his signature ... I ignore them. I was referring to the YouTube videos that he had posted in this thread, that you had not been able to see (at least I assume you couldn't see them, as a couple of posts later, you were wondering if there were any thread updates).

If his signature is indeed wrong, then perhaps it should be fixed. But I really don't see the point of signatures ...

So I travel from Kitchener every day to north york. My drive is beautiful until I hit the dreaded area between Winston Churchill and Mississauga Road. I get there at about 6:30 am and it is already pretty much a standstill. FIRSTLY, does anyone know what it is like in this area around 6am? Is it worth leaving 1/2 hour earlier? I assume it is much better then, but just want to check with someone who knows.

Another question; will this widening actually dramatically improve this section of the highway? I often wonder if it is not only the volume of traffic that causes the delay, but the slope that the highway takes in this section. Conencidentially, the Mavis entrance/exit is at the to of this slope, but I have pondered if people not speeing up sufficiently to overcome gravity in this section could also add to the issue of congestion in this area. Regardless, I appreciate the updates that contributors are posting here about the construction! I just hope they get it done soon and get more lanes open as soon as possible!

I used to do a similar commute almost 20 years ago. Same problem. I think the problem is the amount of traffic funnelling in at Mississauga Road is just more than an already near-capacity 401 can handle, and it just starts backing up. It won't really improve until the following stage of 401 construction .... so maybe by 2018 or so, this won't be as much of a problem - at least so early in the morning.

Back then I tried going earlier (I used to be there about 7:30 before I tried that), and things only got worse ... gave up and started leaving Waterloo at about 8:30, and that worked quite well - but that was a few years ago. I think half-an-hour earlier would do the trick from what I hear from people.

The best trick I found was getting a job in KW. Then I could walk to work.

So I travel from Kitchener every day to north york. My drive is beautiful until I hit the dreaded area between Winston Churchill and Mississauga Road. I get there at about 6:30 am and it is already pretty much a standstill.
I'm doing this same commute at the same time. Have you noticed that it's gotten worse in recent weeks? You used to be able to make it to Mississauga / Erin Mills before it got really slow, but it's come back to before Winston Churchill.

I'm doing this same commute at the same time. Have you noticed that it's gotten worse in recent weeks? You used to be able to make it to Mississauga / Erin Mills before it got really slow, but it's come back to before Winston Churchill.

That is really the reason I have started to do some research on the issue. It seems we are stopping around just after the 407 entrance somedays! I can't believe how bad it has gotten. I mean, after Mavis/Hurontario it speeds up amazingly. There are some trouble spots after the airport, but nothing as bad as that earlier stretch. I have only started doing this commute this year, but I can remember back to March, when there was very little slowing down through the Winston Churchill-Hurontario area. Maybe some people drive more in the summer months? People who are worried about snowy weather avoid the highway in the spring months I guess?

I'm going to try leaving at 5:30 now, so as to get to this area by just after 6. I'll update on how that goes.

There are some trouble spots after the airport, but nothing as bad as that earlier stretch.
You can cut off some time there by taking 427 North - 409 East and getting back on 401 just after Islington. It's saved me at least 5-7 minutes going in the morning. Coming home it would make it worse because of the drop-off in the collectors which are regularly backed up.

I am not sure if you are aware, there are plans to build the collector lanes all the way to the 407 ETR interchange. this will increase the trafifc in the mississauga road (peel regiional road 1) area

I used to do a similar commute almost 20 years ago. Same problem. I think the problem is the amount of traffic funnelling in at Mississauga Road is just more than an already near-capacity 401 can handle, and it just starts backing up. It won't really improve until the following stage of 401 construction .... so maybe by 2018 or so, this won't be as much of a problem - at least so early in the morning.

Back then I tried going earlier (I used to be there about 7:30 before I tried that), and things only got worse ... gave up and started leaving Waterloo at about 8:30, and that worked quite well - but that was a few years ago. I think half-an-hour earlier would do the trick from what I hear from people.

The best trick I found was getting a job in KW. Then I could walk to work.

Back