News   Jul 23, 2024
 531     2 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 444     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 477     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

The tunnel in a number of these schemes are meant to be bypass routes - traffic destined to the core is supposed to be diverted to Lakeshore and Front Street Extension. If I recall correctly, they are only supposed to handle 2 lanes each way.

AoD

Another case in point about urban tunnels as death traps
DI-DODI_384_362222a.jpg
Good god - that's just silly. That "tunnel" is ancient. You don't build tunnels with pillars that you can hit. That accident could just have easily have happened on a city street, by hitting a light pole or an oncoming vehicle. It occurred because the driver had (according to the current inquest) 8 drinks in him, and was driving at dangerously high speeds. I'm not even sure you could properly describe that thing as a tunnel. I haven't been in in, but I've spent enough time in the RER that is adjacent to it. Looks more like the underside of a Gardiner type structure, with sidewalls - has more akin with an underpass than a tunnel.

Surely a tunnel is safer than a city street - as you can't hit anything head-on, only glancing blows. Unlike a city street, where there are oncoming cars, pedestrians, lights, crossing traffic, etc.

Good god - that's just silly. That "tunnel" is ancient. You don't build tunnels with pillars that you can hit. That accident could just have easily have happened on a city street, by hitting a light pole or an oncoming vehicle. It occurred because the driver had (according to the current inquest) 8 drinks in him, and was driving at dangerously high speeds. I'm not even sure you could properly describe that thing as a tunnel. I haven't been in in, but I've spent enough time in the RER that is adjacent to it. Looks more like the underside of a Gardiner type structure, with sidewalls - has more akin with an underpass than a tunnel.

Surely a tunnel is safer than a city street - as you can't hit anything head-on, only glancing blows. Unlike a city street, where there are oncoming cars, pedestrians, lights, crossing traffic, etc.

I've also been in that area several times... you can see on an aerial photo that it just goes under an intersection, it's very small, also like nftiz said, the design is very poor anyhow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL75etKrQU&feature=related

Ah, good video - I've only seen photographs before. Ah - it's on the the Right Bank - for some reason I thought it was road crossing underneath the bridge on the Left Bank.

Still, it's those pillars that were the issue. You don't build stuff like that anymore.

Sure, a tunnel can be a "death trap." So can an elevated highway.

From Spacing Wire:

February 26th, 2008
Fort York public art competition open house
Posted by Shawn Micallef

Fort York’s formidable fortifications seem small and defenseless next to the great span of the Gardiner Expressway — but our favorite flying freeway actually marks the original shoreline of Lake Ontario. Though it’s possible for one to interpret its blue-green turquoise underbelly as reference to the clean and sparking waters that attacking American ships sailed in on during the War of 1812, the City of Toronto has initiated a public art competition to better mark the shoreline, and the winning and short-listed entries are on view this Thursday during an open house.

Most remarkable about this competition is that the Gardiner itself is being used in the selected artwork. Though it may send shivers down the engineering and roads departments from a technical point of view, this is a major first step in activating the underside of the Gardiner and hopefully more sections will follow. Once that happens, and the underside of the expressway is made pedestrian friendly and welcoming, we might just forget it’s up there.

WHEN: Thursday, February 28, 4 to 7pm (4:30pm – remarks by Councillor Pantalone)

WHERE: Blue Barracks, Fort York — just steps from Bathurst Street via the east entrance bridge

The City of Toronto will host an open house at Fort York National Historic Site to exhibit the winning submission, and the short listed proposals, of a public art competition. Councillor Joe Pantalone (Ward 19 Trinity-Spadina) will join City staff and the public to view the winning concept, WATERTABLE, a light and sound work by Toronto artists Lisa Steele and Kim Tomczak, which will be a permanent fixture along the north side of Fort York Boulevard.

The concept WATERTABLE reveals the original shoreline of Lake Ontario and creates the look of shimmering water, appearing to float under the surface of the Gardiner Expressway. It is a beacon not only for the new entrance to Fort York, but also for the revitalization now underway of its entire underdeveloped 43-acre site in anticipation of the Bicentennial celebrations of the War of 1812. Fort York, the birthplace of Toronto, is being restored and redeveloped to reflect its enormous importance as a national historic site and to provide much needed parkland for the communities rapidly emerging around it.

Toronto Culture initiated the commission of a permanent public art work at this historical site, and for the first time, invited artists to incorporate lighting and new media technologies in their concepts. The other finalists were: Tony Stallard (Brentwood, UK); Robert Youds and Daniel Laskarin (Victoria, BC); Maha Mustafa (Toronto, ON); Melissa Shiff (Toronto, ON). All of the finalists’ proposals will also be on display.

Top photo by worldwidewebdomination — bottom renderings of Watertable by artists.

AoD

Maybe A Few Plants Would Help

If you can't hide it then make it a feature. A few plants might help.

2296586555_1677502b43_o.jpg

2297380234_57c9a34f1b_o.jpg

a

you see I think if the Lakeshore was not there, this would have happened already...

Not quite the same thing - the pic showed a relatively narrow roadways at top condition in a tropical climate - hardly the case with the Gardiner. It has potential to look something like that west of Spadina - after that, open space and height is the last thing you'd get.

AoD

yes for 7 months it could look something like that... :D

Can We Learn From Others??

That the underside of the Gardiner could look like a tropical garden is clearly not the case.

While the comments being made are valid, I would take exception with the idea that the climbing plants are covering up the supports for narrow roadways, i.e. unlike the Toronto case.

The topside photos show a highway not dissimilar from the Gardiner.

The Singapore case may have lessons for Toronto, or vice versa. In both cases an expressway follows (more or less) an original waterline with landfill development taking place around and beyond it.

We can learn from others. Boston, and its big dig, is not the only comparator.

2297522822_dc1cfb5030_o.jpg

2296733533_5c14b95245_o.jpg

a

Back