News   Jul 23, 2024
 83     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 204     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 967     2 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

Okay, so here is what I think would work, although it's kind of confusing. So instead of building an 8-10 lane road to replace the Gardiner, why not create a 6 lane road? Except, there would be two medians, separating it into pairs of two lanes. With some sort of signal system, the middle two lanes could be travelling eastward during morning rush hour, and westward in the evening. I'm still working out how you would transition between the two, but it would be much friendlier for pedestrians.

Of course a blackout might cause complete chaos...

I'm still working out how you would transition between the two, but it would be much friendlier for pedestrians.

Why would walking across the Gardiner's traffic (in any lane configuration) be better than walking under it and not having to engage with it at all?

Why is everyone so afraid of burying the gardiner? It's nowhere near as complex a Boston's big dig.
Build the Front street extension and bury the beast from Jameson onwards. Then realign Lakeshore blvd above the Gardiner into a 'grand avenue'

$1.7B ... to start.

I'm all for burying the Gardiner but I realize that the price tag is quite hefty and we're not getting much help from Queen's Park or Ottawa for this. No money, no project.

The city should indeed give the Gardiner and the DVP to the province in exchange for road toll revenues.
Dalton McGuilty would likely make the trade and begin looking at fixing up the decrepit structure.

Think: "University Avenue"

I would say that University isn't particularly nice to cross either. It also probably gets a lot less traffic in a day, and going a slower average speed, than what would frequent Gardiner Blvd.

If we want to help open up the waterfront to downtown, I think the money's best spent on filling in the parking lots and empty space between the two and coming up with a really creative solution to the rail corridor.

Maybe if Metrolinx were to take on the 400 series + DVP/Gardiner, it might eventually be in the cards. I don't think the city will ever have the financial wherewithal to pull it off.

This is a federal and/or provincial undertaking. Now that we have a friendly provincial government to Toronto, we might see this becoming important on the Metrolinx agenda.

... as for Federal... we need an election and an environment (therefore transit) friendly PM.. oh say Dion?

I don't know if Dion would have the inclination or the political capital to lavish on TO.

Well, if he wants to have the most -- if any -- effect on his pet project (the environment), he better include and even start off with the country's most populous city.

$1.7B ... to start.

I'm all for burying the Gardiner but I realize that the price tag is quite hefty and we're not getting much help from Queen's Park or Ottawa for this. No money, no project.

The city should indeed give the Gardiner and the DVP to the province in exchange for road toll revenues.
Dalton McGuilty would likely make the trade and begin looking at fixing up the decrepit structure.

True but our Federal Gov't had an almost $10B surplas in the past 2 years. Given the predictions for a slowing economy, wouldn't this make a nice little 'make work' project. It would keep construction and trades people employed for at least a few years thus adding to the economy and when complete the city would be much better off.

But ahh heaven forbid the feds do anything to help the renegade city of Toronto.

Well, if he wants to have the most -- if any -- effect on his pet project (the environment), he better include and even start off with the country's most populous city.

My very simplified analysis goes something like this:

Dion doesn't stand to gain much by throwing money at current Liberal voters. He'd probably view expending his limited political capital in swing ridings as a better option, especially as any current NDP/Green would might not like the idea of billions spent on a highway.

Ergo, infrastructure would come below any sop to Quebec, and "swing" ridings.

...But ahh heaven forbid the feds do anything to help the renegade city of Toronto.

Don't you get it by now, the more the feds shit on Toronto and piss off Miller, support goes up. This is especially true in suburban and rural Ontario who have had enough of Toronto's whine. The best thing for Toronto is vote for a Conservative candidate who will champion TO's cause in caucus. Re-electing Libs and NDP keeps TO on the outside looking in while other municipalities will reap the rewards.

The best thing for Toronto is vote for a Conservative candidate who will champion TO's cause in caucus.

Problem is finding such a Conservative candidate. The ones elected in this province sure have done plenty for us.

Back