News   Apr 19, 2024
 197     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 864     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.1K     2 

Ridiculous comments and claims made by City Councillors

With fewer councillors and no Mammoliti, I suspect this won't be as active a thread as before.

It’s a sad day for this thread, my friends.

Maybe if some of you would stop ignoring the more banal but still dumb councillors just because they're not Mammoliti, this wouldn't have to be the case. Every one of them should be called out when appropriate.

On that note:

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 2.10.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 2.10.29 PM.png

With Doug Ford as Ontario’s premier, and a new, smaller city council, Lai said she’ll urge downtown councillors “to put all politics aside,” and see a Sheppard Subway as necessary for Toronto’s future as a world-class city.

“I’m going to have to sell to them,” said Lai, who considers Sheppard the Yonge Street of her ward, a major artery in need of revitalization and redevelopment a subway can bring. The downtown has enough subways, and the now-shelved plan to build a light-rail-transit line on Sheppard won’t work, “because businesses will hurt,” said Lai, a past president of the Toronto Real Estate Board.

https://www.toronto.com/news-story/...and-jennifer-mckelvie-out-to-reshape-toronto/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 2.10.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 2.10.29 PM.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,004
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 2.10.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 2.10.14 PM.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 973
Maybe if some of you would stop ignoring the more banal but still dumb councillors just because they're not Mammoliti, this wouldn't have to be the case. Every one of them should be called out when appropriate.

On that note:

View attachment 162305
View attachment 162304

With Doug Ford as Ontario’s premier, and a new, smaller city council, Lai said she’ll urge downtown councillors “to put all politics aside,” and see a Sheppard Subway as necessary for Toronto’s future as a world-class city.

“I’m going to have to sell to them,” said Lai, who considers Sheppard the Yonge Street of her ward, a major artery in need of revitalization and redevelopment a subway can bring. The downtown has enough subways, and the now-shelved plan to build a light-rail-transit line on Sheppard won’t work, “because businesses will hurt,” said Lai, a past president of the Toronto Real Estate Board.

https://www.toronto.com/news-story/...and-jennifer-mckelvie-out-to-reshape-toronto/
Looks like we've elected yet another delusional councillor. I look forward to the amount of outlandish, wild, and inaccurate statements she'll be making in the next 4 years.

Maybe it's time to start a "ridiculous comments and claims made by MPPs" thread?
We'll keep track of the most asinine statements and if needed we can expand this thread;)

I mean in terms of ridiculous comments this is probably pretty mainstream(unfortunately), but I think it warrants some discussion.

I don't want to discuss the mess that the whole few weeks leading up to the Steve Bannon debate but this was posted after the debate occurred, so we could actually discuss the impact of the debate. What were the negative consequences of hosting this debate? I have not really seen any stories of radicalization as a result of this debate.

In my opinion the real losers of the Munk Debate are people like Joe Cressy and the protestors. Bannon was able to have his debate. Most people were unimpressed with Bannon's arguments. People who were fans before are fans now. there was no net loss to society by having him speak. Yet people are claiming that allowing Bannon will cause fascism to rise. Is there any legitimate evidence that happened?

Secondly, people claim free speech only applies to government applied censorship. However, Joe Cressy advocating for deplatforming Bannon falls into the real of government censorship(morally if legally this is not the case)
I am very concerned about our future if people like Cressy are allowed to have a large say in Toronto issues. Hell even the Toronto Star editorial board disagrees with this position of de-platforming Bannon. Letting his speak would have caused no problems. The whole protest caused a large Streisand effect, and the Protesters look bad at the end of the day.
It was a complete failure of a situation. Ideally people would have let Bannon fail, but they gave populists a line of attack. basically populists can champion free speech while many left wing ideologies cannot.

So, a Toronto Councillor opposes providing a platform for speech that provokes “angst” in our city. Very good. On that basis, I look forward to his motion to prevent members of Council from ever saying anything in public.

. I don't like listening to you talk either, Joe. Doesn't mean I want you silenced because I'm too scared to hear things I don't agree with.

Pathetic behaviour from the made-of-tissue brigade.

Apology is in order. Lolwut....I want an apology from the thought-policing regressive reactionaries for pushing their wannabe authoritarian ideas on us.

Well given the 25 wards situation, I cannot say I am terribly disappointed to see her leave.

One thing I dislike about our political system is that it is rigged to prioritize the needs and wants of current residents over future residents. I'd like to know where City Councillors think future residents of Toronto are going to live. Where is the housing?

At least those evil capitalist developers are delivering places for people like me, young and looking to enter the housing market, to live in. Same cannot be said about City Council and their protectionist policies.

Back