News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

I don't think that will happen. I think "Cafe & Bake Shop" was to tell Americans who were otherwise unfamiliar with the brand what it is. Canadians are already familiar and there's no need to water down the brand with additional text.

That's corriect. In the Buffalo area, where they are very familiar with Tim Horton's (and Tim Horton - he played for the Sabres) - they don't have the "Cafe & Bake Shop" signage on most of their stores either. The one in Tondawana has the old-style double oval "Always Fresh" sign. It's only in Erie and Niagara Counties where Tim Horton's clearly dominates over Dunkin' Donuts in the US.

In most other places in the US, Tim Horton's has the "Coffee and Baked Goods" descriptor on signs (like this store in Dearborn) - but not "Cafe & Bake Shop" - which always seemed to me to be a the New York City thing.

Last edited:
I don't know what that Bob Evans restaurant is across from that Dearborn Tim Hortons, but it is doing well, that's for sure. The lot is rammed.

Also, does anybody else think that an 8-lane road separated by a grassy median is total overkill for that street?

Last edited:
I don't know what that Bob Evans restaurant is across from that Dearborn Tim Hortons, but it is doing well, that's for sure. The lot is rammed.

Also, does anybody else think that an 8-lane road separated by a grassy median is total overkill for that street?

That's Route 12. It's a highway.

Bob Evans is a very popular "comfort food" restaurant chain in the US. I would compare it to Perkins or IHOP. They are generally strategically placed by freeways. I have never had the chance to eat there, but I wouldn't mind trying a Country fried steak or meat loaf with mash :)

Bob Evans is a very popular "comfort food" restaurant chain in the US. I would compare it to Perkins or IHOP. They are generally strategically placed by freeways. I have never had the chance to eat there, but I wouldn't mind trying a Country fried steak or meat loaf with mash :)

Make sure you save room for the french silk pie. ;) I have been eating at Bob Evans since i was a kid. Every time my family drove to Florida we always stopped to eat a Bob Evans along the interstate.

The country fried steak is a sort of cheap - chewy - cut of beef breaded and deep fried, then covered in something that tastes just like mushroom soup. A sort of schnitzel. I've had it a couple times recently. Worth a try. I might move on to another menu item. :)

The country fried steak is a sort of cheap - chewy - cut of beef breaded and deep fried, then covered in something that tastes just like mushroom soup. A sort of schnitzel. I've had it a couple times recently. Worth a try. I might move on to another menu item. :)

I grew up in Columbus, OH, and the Bob Evans chain started there. (They also market fresh sausage to supermarkets). They are generally consistantly good, with all-day breakfast. The chicken and dumplings was kind of their signature dish, along, of course, with anything with sausage. My Dad loved that place.

Hammersmith's at the SW corner of Gerrard and Logan is gone. Shame. According to BlogTO, business was good but the landlord was an ass, so the owners decided to cut their losses and are looking for a new location in which to reopen.

I grew up in Columbus, OH, and the Bob Evans chain started there. (They also market fresh sausage to supermarkets). They are generally consistantly good, with all-day breakfast. The chicken and dumplings was kind of their signature dish, along, of course, with anything with sausage. My Dad loved that place.

FAC: The Bob Evans Company was founded in Rio Grande in southeastern Ohio and their headquarters is now in the Columbus area...
See: www.bobevans.com and www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Evans_Restaurants

I like their food and wish that there were some more in the Northeastern USA - there are none on Long Island or NYC...

I traveled around Ohio in the late 90s and got to know how diverse that Ohio actually is and I learned that Ohio does not have a distinct identity and
that most regions mainly identify with the states they border on - Appalachian Ohio identifies with Kentucky and West Virginia to a large extent...

I later found that Columbus and Central Ohio comes closest to having their own identity...LI MIKE

Last edited:
FAC: The Bob Evans Company was founded in Rio Grande in southeastern Ohio and their headquarters is now in the Columbus area...
See: www.bobevans.com and www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Evans_Restaurants

I like their food and wish that there were some more in the Northeastern USA - there are none on Long Island or NYC...

I traveled around Ohio in the late 90s and got to know how diverse that Ohio actually is and I learned that Ohio does not have a distinct identity and
that most regions mainly identify with the states they border on - Appalachian Ohio identifies with Kentucky and West Virginia to a large extent...

I later found that Columbus and Central Ohio comes closest to having their own identity...LI MIKE

You're correct on all counts (by "founded there", I meant more "Ohio" than Columbus :) Columbus is an interesting town; it is a state capital, a huge college town, and while it did have a decent manufacturing base, it was always offset by white-collar and government industries, so it did not go the way of its rust belt sisters in Toledo, Cleveland, and Youngstown. Essentially, three linguistic groups intersect in Columbus--the northeastern/northern Midwest (Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit), the more typical Midwest, and the Appalachian, and you will hear all three dialects plus mixes.

Question: Is Amaya's Bread Bar now a "fancy" Amaya Express? I don't see the restaurant listed on the main Amaya website anymore - the location that Amaya's Bread Bar was in is now under Express. However, it looks like they have a Winterlicious menu. Anyone know what the deal is?

Back