News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 949     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Went there for their pre-grand opening today. The inside of the restaurant is really nice, and I liked their minimalist pop machines, but no bone-in fried chicken is a deal breaker for me. The food was just okay but at least it was free! Now if they had bone-in fried chicken, I'd be there every week.

Tonight I'm going to Duke's Refresher, the second of the three SIR Corp restaurants to open in Aura. They seem to be targeting obnoxious drunks, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Tonight I'm going to Duke's Refresher, the second of the three SIR Corp restaurants to open in Aura. They seem to be targeting obnoxious drunks, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

I heard negative reviews from a few of my friends. Lousy service, and decent good. Try it out though, found it odd there wasn't positive reviews coming from a SIR restaurant.

Went there for their pre-grand opening today. The inside of the restaurant is really nice, and I liked their minimalist pop machines, but no bone-in fried chicken is a deal breaker for me. The food was just okay but at least it was free! Now if they had bone-in fried chicken, I'd be there every week.

They say a large amount younger generation prefers boneless chicken since it's what they grew up with, so I think it's pretty smart, as this restaurant is aimed at a younger crowd who usually don't order bone-in chicken!

I heard negative reviews from a few of my friends. Lousy service, and decent good. Try it out though, found it odd there wasn't positive reviews coming from a SIR restaurant.

One odd thing I have noticed is that SIR doesn't seem to appreciate desserts... None at Duke's other than their waffles, more of a brunch item really; only 3 at Reds; no mention of them that I could see on the Far Niente, Four and Jack Astor websites.

It's too bad they added yet another bar & grill type restaurant, Instead of more fancier restaurant like Canyon Creek Chophouse or Far Niente. But i guess they are targeting as you said, the obnoxious drunks and they will do well with Ryerson students. I will be sure to avoid these establishments on a Friday night or Saturday night, if I'm in the area. I wouldn't ever rush back to Red's for food. i can get the same quality food and service at Jack Astor's for a hell of lot less money!!

Buppha Thai on Queen at Jarvis has closed. Looks like there's already a liquor license for something new. This area is seeing a change, and I'm so glad to see it happening.

Duke's Refresher was ok. Not very busy last night with the snow; they were definitely overstaffed, no doubt to make a good first impression. Good service. Many beers on tap, though they didn't have the Boneshaker I wanted due to some technical issue. I had their rather strange bacon and shrimp bibimbap - not a credible version of that dish, but thankfully I was starving. My partner had the enormous fried chicken, which was quite good. Those 2 dishes plus 4 beers came to about $80 with tax and tip. Paying less than $100 for dinner for 2 seems like a bargain these days.

Kim Moon Bakery has closed. It's been there since 1977.

Oh, no! Say it isn't so! I was in Chinatown earlier this week and saw it was dark when I passed by. I figured it was just because I was there at 7pm and they had already closed for the day. I will miss their buns and moon cakes.

Last edited:
Oh, no! Say it isn't so! I was in Chinatown earlier this week and saw it was dark when I passed by. I figured it was just because I was there at 7pm and they had already closed for the day. I will miss their buns and moon cakes.

It may be sad, but people who lived in Chinatown 35-40 years ago largely moved up to Agincourt in the 80s or Markham in the 90s. Communities evolve.

The two sisters that owned Kim Moon Bakery sold the place few months back. Wonder why the the new owners shut it down?

The two sisters that owned Kim Moon Bakery sold the place few months back. Wonder why the the new owners shut it down?

Don't know - but maybe their products just aren't up to par? (and that spells the death of Chinese bakeries quicker than anything else) I think Ctown really need to really face the reality that their client demographic is changing very, very rapidly - the Dundas stretch gives off that death throes vibe in a rather bad way.

AoD

Last edited:
In what sense, I find there is very little available for lease along the Dundas stretch i.e. WEST of spadina. I do not think the demographic is changing as quick as someone of you imagine ...

I was last there a year ago; the dim sum was tick-the-boxes-on-the order-sheet-we'll-cook-it-to-order-and-bring-it-out. I always liked this instead of the interminable wait for the carts at most dim sum places. Not to mention the tables near the kitchen doors got all the good stuff.

The place was deserted at 1pm when I was there.

I remember this place back in the day when it was THE bakery in ChiTown. The upstairs was open and there were lineups for tables and a dozen or so counter staff. They even made wedding cakes.

By the way... a lot of dim sum nowadays isn't made 'in house'. Har gow, pork shui my and beef balls are made by third party kitchens, frozen and steamed for your delectation at the restaurant. So, you are really paying for the 'experience'. The cooked dim sum at T&T supermarkets is the same.

Back