News   Apr 24, 2024
 935     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 613     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Wow, a non-Asian food spot opening on Baldwin - what a shock.

In fairness though, there's been an Asian presence on Baldwin for a while now with some older Chinese restaurants still around. Many of the newer spots seem to cater to post-secondary students, similar to the places along Spadina closer to College.

The building where the former Oro Restaurant on Elm Street (east of Bay St) is currently undergoing renovations:

20191203_135416.jpg

Thai Nyyom has opened at 1419 Bloor St W (@Sterling Rd), the former location of Nonna's Place.

Burger King to open more than 100 new Canadian restaurants in the next 5 years

Kayla Gladysz | Dec 5 2019, 6:51 am

Specifically targeting Ontario and Manitoba, according to a release, the fast-food chain aims to drive growth in the country’s “under-penetrated” burger market.

This expansion will increase the number of Burger King restaurants in Canada by 25%.

Burger King to open more than 100 new Canadian restaurants in the next 5 years

Kayla Gladysz | Dec 5 2019, 6:51 am

Specifically targeting Ontario and Manitoba, according to a release, the fast-food chain aims to drive growth in the country’s “under-penetrated” burger market.

This expansion will increase the number of Burger King restaurants in Canada by 25%.

“Under-penetrated!?" 3G's gotta 3G.

To be fair to Burger King they aren't nearly as common in much of Ontario compared to their competitors. Lots of places don't have Burger Kings but have A&W, multiple Mcdonalds, Harveys, etc.

They are also probably my least favourite option out of the large burger joints though.

To be fair to Burger King they aren't nearly as common in much of Ontario compared to their competitors. Lots of places don't have Burger Kings but have A&W, multiple Mcdonalds, Harveys, etc.

They are also probably my least favourite option out of the large burger joints though.

All of the large majors are terrible. Chains w/better burgers are South St, and Burger's Priest

On BK specifically:

1) Lots of existing locations are still veritable dumpster fires that still have early 90's pastel plastic decors.

2) They really must move to customizable toppings, they had/have a concept called BK Whopper Bar that has that.......I do not want what may be real beef dripping with 3tbsps of mayo or uber-sweet ketchup. Nor do I wish to see under ripe tomato, or wilted lettuce atop my burger.

Let me see the damned toppings and I will correctly order mustard, onion, hot peppers, and a slice of ripe tomato on my burger!

3)New rule for all fast food places, either enclose the kitchen OR turn the loud endless beeping off the damned fryers. Have the notification go to staff headphones wirelessly. Very do-able.

4)Would someone tell them only one fast food establshment has ever come close to making frozen fries taste like something other than wallpaper paste.......back to fresh-cut, fries.

Also, FFS, I want vinegar on the condiment stand. All good fries need vinegar, or aioli.

Just saying.

Edit to add: And really, they need to get licensed. Simple premise, there's no excuse for patronizing that establishment while sober!

Paramount Fine Foods restaurant (@ Front @ Market) has "Closed Permanently".

The (fairly new) BlueStone Lane cafe on King @ Leader Lane is papered over and probably closed. (I guess they over-estimated the market for expensive avocado toast.

Bluestone Lane has actually temporarily moved a few doors down. You can barely notice it, but they're open.

Moss Park: Schnitzel Queen is shutting down at the end of the month. The rents are too damn high! I wish Samuel were here, for real.

They just got their straight from the brewery Pilsner Urquell a few months ago too, shame that.

There is an upcoming fast food restaurant coming to "Westwood Square Mall" in Mississauga, Malton, Ontario. It's Called "Waffles Co."
IMG-20191206-WA0000.jpg

What a shame. I quite enjoyed going to their Liberty Village location. That is probably 2nd place on my list of LV bar/pubs after the Local.

I would imagine their aggressive expansion lead to their downfall. Their downtown location seems to do well. But likely the suburban and Financial District ones may have under-performed.

Back