News   Apr 26, 2024
 470     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 204     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 669     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Ongoing renovations at 334 Yonge St, where Jollibee are reported to be opening their downtown location:

20191218_133832.jpg

The Tulip restaurant at 1606 Queen St E has closed down due to a rent hike.

Although, according to the Beach Metro:

It is not known when, or if, The Tulip will re-open but one of the owners (who did not want their name published) told Beach Metro News that they are looking for a new location in the same Coxwell and Queen area.

Last edited:
77 Toronto restaurants and bars we lost in 2019

From 50-year-plus family-run institutions to year-old entries, here's who shut their doors this year

BY NATALIA MANZOCCO
DECEMBER 27, 2019

Rents are too high for the average independently owned bar/restaurants. I have friends that own and work in restaurants downtown. They all say the same thing, next rent increase they have to close. Even though they are busy, it still won't be enough money to cover the rent.

Rents are too high for the average independently owned bar/restaurants. I have friends that own and work in restaurants downtown. They all say the same thing, next rent increase they have to close. Even though they are busy, it still won't be enough money to cover the rent.

Also there's a loss of usable space where small buildings with ground level retail are replaced with condos which don't really work for restaurants. I've seen some condos with restaurants on the ground level, but many are built with only small and narrow storefronts. Those that do have a large space usually have it oddly shaped, or with something like a concrete pillar in the middle of the dining area to work around. I also suspect condo boards are not keen on renting to restaurants either given their reputation for ghosting overnight when things go bad and then leaving the condo corp with no rent payments and a cleanup job.

That's true^ A lot of new spaces aren't built or designed for restaurants. I worked in a restaurant that was in a space designed for a bank. The ventilation was terrible, i used to come home stinking like a deep fryer. And restaurant was always stifling hot, even on the coldest day of the year. None of the windows opened which turned the restaurant into a sauna during the summer months. The AC at full blast did nothing.

Back