News   Apr 26, 2024
 912     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 257     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 765     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Wow. I haven't been there in forever but that place was always packed on gamedays.

I'm surprised too. Of all the corporate food chains, Jack Astors has always been the go-to. Maybe it has something to do with my nostalgia from my teenage days in Brampton, when it was the place us friends hung out. But it still beats ESM, Boston Pizza, Milestone's, Kelsey's and the like - no pretensions (like Earl's and Joey) and decent enough food for what you paid for.

It was always packed during game days, and reasonably busy otherwise. Maybe there's something new in the works.

I'm surprised too. Of all the corporate food chains, Jack Astors has always been the go-to. Maybe it has something to do with my nostalgia from my teenage days in Brampton, when it was the place us friends hung out. But it still beats ESM, Boston Pizza, Milestone's, Kelsey's and the like - no pretensions (like Earl's and Joey)

That's a comparison that damns with feint praise! LOL

I can't say I'm a fan of any of the above at all.

Among current chain places.......I don't mind The Keg...steak can be decent'ish.........and the bread is good.........the salads are ho hum and the sides regrettable......but it's passable.

In terms of fondess for yesteryear.......... I always had a soft spot for Mother's Pizza.........and the Olive Garden....though the latter's main dishes were nothing to right home about.....but that soup, salad and breadsticks special was pretty decent.

The Jack Astor on Front has closed.

In case anyone was picturing Front & University location like me...it is Front St E location that has closed.

I still enjoy Jack Astor's but had never been to this location.

Reactions: DSC
In case anyone was picturing Front & University location like me...it is Front St E location that has closed.

I still enjoy Jack Astor's but had never been to this location.

Ah. St. Lawrence Neighbourhood I remember when that was a Wendy's/Tim Hortons co-location. As long as my go-to in that part of Toronto, C'est What?, is still around, I'll be happy.

That's a comparison that damns with feint praise! LOL

I can't say I'm a fan of any of the above at all.

Among current chain places.......I don't mind The Keg...steak can be decent'ish.........and the bread is good.........the salads are ho hum and the sides regrettable......but its passable.

Nevermind the food, which is reliable if unspectacular - the waiters at the Keg are quite distracting.

AoD

Claudio Aprile's restaurant Copetin has closed on King St. East, and will be replaced by Vancouver's Score on Davie and its sophisticated fare. Pic found on the company's website.

Last edited:
The Lavazza-branded cafe in the King Edward Hotel has closed. If you were curious about what the coffee scene was like in 2002 or so, you just lost your chance.

According to the letter posted on the door by We Brew Cafe, the space was sold and another "upscale" coffee shop will be opening there later this Spring.

In other King East restaurant news, Hiro Sushi has closed, as Chef Hiro Yoshida has decided to retire.

Back