News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Interesting article in the Star on Mmmuffins:

AoD

I remember Mmmuffins.. were everywhere in my teen years..-
I work around Scotia Plaza- and there is a Tim Hortons right beside this spot.. I always go to Mmmuffins ,- their green tea is the real stuff- much better than Timmy's-
and same goes for their beverages..and their muffins are sooo delicious. love their Cornmeal and also Chocolate Chip ones.. they are the best.. and beats Tim Hortons..
it is sad that there are only 2 locations left... should be more... I don't understand-- Tim's sells sweets right?-- so why is it off putting that Mmmuffins sells muffins..

Claudio Aprile's restaurant Copetin has closed on King St. East, and will be replaced by Vancouver's Score on Davie and its sophisticated fare. Pic found on the company's website.

View attachment 175977
You used the word sophisticated, but then your photo was the food dictionary definition of idiotic… so which is it?!

Reggae bar Thymeless bids farewell after 15 years

The College Street dive bar and dance spot is famed for its Jamaican-style sound system with sub bass that "reaches into your soul"
by Kate Robertson

March 25, 2019

4:00 PM

BlackBall Taiwanese Desserts and Teas soon to open on the west side of Yonge just north of College. This is right next to Four Four South Village Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup place, maybe we can get a little Taipei going in this area!
EA2F9008-E901-42D6-89C6-1A677F60F009.jpeg

Has anyone heard that Olive Garden is looking to re-enter the Canadian market in a big way?

Has anyone heard that Olive Garden is looking to re-enter the Canadian market in a big way?
What a waste of prime commercial rental real estate that's going to be. I'm sure they will have a giant two floor "flagship restaurant" at or very near Yonge-Dundas Square. "Come downtown to eat the same crap you could get at the Olive Garden location five minutes away from your house in Vaughan!"

The Cadillac Lounge in Parkdale is officially closing after 19 years. Their final day will be July 14th.

Grosso isn't 100 per cent sure what will happen to his building once the Cadillac is gone, though he does have reason to believe it's "going to be gutted" and turned into some type of retail space.

"From what I hear from my agent, [the new owners] are not interested in leasing it out as a bar or restaurant," he said. "I don't blame them."

I'm pretty sure there are Olive Gardens in Alberta.

Alberta loves shit fake Italian food.

To answer these, there is a Canadian website, www.olivegarden.ca

The chain never folded its Western Canada operations, only Ontario.

They have a single location in Vancouver, 2 in Winnipeg, a few in Edmonton and Calgary and are building new locations (entering/reentering) Regina and Saskatoon.

I have not heard of them returning to the Ontario market.

They may be, I just don't know.

Having said that, I'm not quite sure what they bungled the last time, most of their Toronto locations had very high traffic.

Yet, somehow they were making too low a margin to justify remaining open.

I've heard many theories over the years, but none that resonated with me, as I fail to understand how you can keep people waiting 30m+ for a table on a Fri/Sat and not make money, unless you
don't know how to price, bungled your supply chain or systematically grossly over paid for your real estate; but I digress.

Worth noting is that if Olive Garden returns, whether one liked it the first time or not.........what comes back would not be the same.

Lest, I misunderstand, I believe OG has shifted to a greater proportion of frozen, heat and serve food than when it was last here.

FWIW, the pasta, from my pov was never particularly good, though I've had worse........but the Pasta Fagiole was actually quite passable, and there Soup, Salad and Breadsticks was a decent healthy-ish lunch at a low price.

Though one did have to tolerate that unbearable kitsch decor..........

Nothing I crave; but if they came back that would be fine, they're not going to put any decent Italian place out of business.........if they suck some money out Boston Pizza or East Side Mario's no harm done.

Last edited:

Back