i took a few pics here today also
100_0007.jpg

100_0008.jpg

100_0011.jpg

Ritz, RBC, & Shangri-la in the background

couple of nice shots taken April 20, posted by Toronto-West over at SSC

CIMG1335.jpg

CIMG1434.jpg

The MetroCentre shooping concourse always seemed so overbuilt for the three relatively small office towers above. It was also completely dead whenever I have been in there. Will RBC change this? How much PATH retail is it expected to have anyway?

Roy Thompson Tower?

^Agreed! That area actually looks desolate! I'd like to see green roofs and jumbo-sized n-blox styled infill: could probably easily add another 5000 ppl in that photo alone! I don't think i'd pay multi millions to live in the ritz-carlton at that location. Especially when just a 10 minute walk from there a huge old mansion on Beverly St can be had for peanuts. JMHO. Another 15 years before that area has reached maximum density and desirability--Roy Thompson Hall looks like the worst mistake ever made downtown and always seemed very car-friendly suburban style to me. sounds terrible: but i'd say knock it down!

NBlox or nothing?

UrbanD, do you have an NBlox obsession? Do you want every building in the city, even those 20 years old, to look like NBlox? Just wondering ...

Knock down an Erickson!?! Ack!

Actually, that wee parking lot and loading dock at the south end of the building would be an interesting place on which to speculate adding an 'Erickson' tower for Toronto.

That's a very very interesting thought. And I am sure RTH could certainly use the money. Now that you mention it, it seems like only a matter of time and if not now...certainly a decade from now or sometime when some 'upkeep' money is needed.

I would love to see the parking lot on the east side of Simcoe replaced with a new complex. Fill that up, and the area wouldn't seem desolate at all.

The Erickson condo at the south end of RTH is a great idea. Give it a few years though, until the current crop of luxe towers are up and the empty-nesting symphony crowd is looking for their next $1,200 per square foot pad. Hmm, get Arthur to design it now though - he is starting to get on in age...

lest KPMB have to step in and, uh, tweak it.

That loading dock caught my eye, too. I think it's actually the most conspicuously empty spot in the whole pictures. What they evidently thought was going to be RTH's ass-end is now facing the Ritz.

But building over it would destroy the stateliness and symmetry of RTH's perch between King and Wellington. Some complimentary to the landscaping at the north end (if not another moat, per se) would be ideal: a parkette of some variety? Alas, a loading dock's not an easy thing to move.

That loading dock caught my eye, too. I think it's actually the most conspicuously empty spot in the whole pictures. What they evidently thought was going to be RTH's ass-end is now facing the Ritz.

But building over it would destroy the stateliness and symmetry of RTH's perch between King and Wellington. Some complimentary to the landscaping at the north end (if not another moat, per se) would be ideal: a parkette of some variety? Alas, a loading dock's not an easy thing to move.

...and that's why you'll never get anyone building anything over it that doesn't give them a return. I think it's quite possible that the RTH Board may someday want to make some money off that piece of land, and if so, then it may be advantageous to the design of the whole complex to hire Erickson to do it. That way he can't claim that some other firm has been insensitive to the original design.

That said, the moat on the north side is a liability most of the year, although pleasant when our weather moderates into a Vancouver range. Any new building on the south side should include section 37 benefits that modify the moat in a way to make it more accessible and enjoyable to more people, more of the time.

Anyway, Erickson may not want to touch it. As KPMB got the job of redoing the interior of the hall, he's not a big fan of the RTH Board.

I don't find the the loading docks at Roy Thomson to be very intrusive at all really. Indeed unless viewed from above or a studio maquette one would barely notice any sort of stately symmetry to the site. With regards to facing the entranceway of RBC or Ritz one solution might be to build an elevated parkette or an atrium over the docks..? As for tearing the symphony hall down- no way :eek:

Back