News   Jul 15, 2024
 731     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 890     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 626     0 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

Re: RBC Confirmed Height

So, guess who's above ground? At least, one corner of it is, the part over the Simcoe Place loading bays:

Notice, they haven't even poured the walls towards the northern edge:

Still not much action on the other side of the site:

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the RBC Tower:

Re: Crane is up

Notice, they haven't even poured the walls towards the northern edge

Hydro was doing stuff in the north end and the sooner the south end is done the sooner they can excavate the rest of the site

Have we ever seen siteplans for this one? Looking at what's built so far I can't figure out how the loading access will work. They've got the headroom in there to allow a transport to drive through, but I can't see how they'd have enough room to turn one around in there so that they could back it into the Simcoe Place loading docks.

Plus it seems weird that they'd want to configure the loading area like that. If they keep things as they are, so that Simcoe Place trucks are backed in parallel to Simcoe St., wouldn't that mean that RBC Centre trucks will also be backed in parallel, but facing the opposite way? That would mean you'd need a loading area the length of two transports, plus a laneway down the middle, and you'd end up with like a 100' wide loading area. It'd have made more sense to me to build a new set of shared docks perpendicular to the existing docks, and then build whatever ramps and elevators you need to allow the docks to service the three buildings.

Walked by the site today and they have begun to use the new loading docks. A coke truck and another truck were in there. I guess we can expect the temporary loading docks on the west end of the site to be closed and excavation beginning in the not-to-distant future.

The status report posted back in January read, in part:

"...the Interim Loading Dock area which is scheduled to be completed and turned over to the landlord for their use in early April 2007. After this occupancy, PCL will be able to start excavating the west side of the project."

Looks like they're on track.

Latest Renderings from the RBC Website. Posted by Tallin 4 Toronto over at SSC.

rbc.jpg

I think the podium is the best part of this design, something about the top just bothers me. I'm sure this will be one of those looks so much better in person then on paper buildings.

The site www.rbccentre.ca/ has a few further renderings, one of which indicated a very nice and textured curtain wall for the podium. This and other details makes this development just a bit better, in my mind, than the BAC (which lacks the details to make take it out of the world of 'bland').

I agree, the base will certainly be the best part of the project. I think these renderings tend to show the tower as more modern and glassy than previously shown. Before it looked too cartoonistic to get a real feeling for the project.

I think this will be the best of the new office towers. KPF is all about details - lookin at their other projects around the world, this development could be much better then is perhaps indicated by the renderings.

I am super-excited about this new 'scraper and its Ritzy sister. KPF do extremely competent, solidly executed, conservative work--unlike many big shops (eg Foster), they don't seem to ever screw up. These will be fantastic buildings.

Two cheers for competent, solidly executed and conservative anywhere towers. We're geting them, folks, right here in ... whatsitcalled? ... Toronto.

At about 10:30 last night they had a few construction workers on-site, tooling around a freshly-poured concrete floor. The part that's dug out is rising towards ground level quickly, which is interesting, since they still haven't started digging the western half of the lot yet.

Demolition of the old western loading bays in underway, though... big Murray dumpster there for the rubble.

"Two cheers for competent, solidly executed and conservative anywhere towers."

I'd agree with conservative- the rest is up for debate.

Back