News   Jul 16, 2024
 90     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 839     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 967     1 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

THen why not build a 57 story building there as part of a new plan. Seems to be a waste of a fine historic stump.

Brookfield purchased additional lands in the 15 years between the construction of the stump and the new tower. This significantly increased the total density allocation available for development creating the need for two towers and therefore are different land arrangement.

Brookfield also wanted the prestige of a Bay Street Address and lobby/entrance for the complex vs an Adelaide Street welcome mat. Don't underestimate the value for tenants of being on Bay Street.

It would have made little financial sense to stick to the original plans considering the new factors and parameters of the development in 2006.

Okay. To update my post from yesterday, I walked by tonight, and they have moved more heavy equipment on site for excavation. They seem to be moving downward very, very fast.

Also, they have closed off two lanes on Simcoe and one lane on Wellington. Installation of new hoarding indicates that these lanes will remain closed for the duration of construction.

This one's going to win the race!

Does anyone know how many levels of parking this one is going to have?

The stump will be demolished above grade only, taking out the whole thing to the foundation would require talking out all the built concourse and parking levels as well. That would be costly and pointless. The new buldings are on either side of the original proposed tower so they get their own structure/core. The stump remains as an overly fortified base to support the new plaza.

Canuck, I'm not sure how much stock to put in it, but today's press release concerning the ceremonial groundbreaking for the Ritz mentions the '42' storey RBC Centre under construction already beside it.

That's right, 42, not 41.

taking out the whole thing to the foundation would require talking out all the built concourse and parking levels

I don't see why removing the stump would require the parking levels to be removed as well

also I can see the stump's foundation interfering with the new towers' foundations as well as access in the parking levels

interchange,

I tend to trust press releases the least, but thanks for the heads up.

Noticed spray paint markings last night in the pit that looked the size of a crane's foundation. However they are only 30 feet or so down. Not very deep. We'll find out soon enough if the crane is coming.

-

Walking by today, they had what looked like a pumpcrete truck in the hole. Everything was fenced off, so I couldn't get close enough to see, but they seem to be pouring concrete for something down there.

The base for the crane has been installed. Maybe a crane next weekend?

Re: -

Crane hole?
PictureorVideo114.jpg

^ Yes and as previously mentioned the base for the crane has already been poured.

Back