News   Aug 14, 2024
 846     1 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 688     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 557     0 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

Excavation is proceeding rapidly. They're at least 20 feet down on the south side of the site.

Only about 1/3rd of the combined RBC/Ritz site is being excavated at this point. Sales centre is still there as is access to loading docks for Simcoe 1 in the middle of the site.

Podium?

Walked by the site last night. Excavation is going at a breakneck pace. They are already about 25' down.

Also, crews and police were blocking off Wellington for some reason - probably to bring in some heavy equipment. I will walk by again tonight to check it out.

The race to the sky is on now between RBC and BA. RBC has a slight head start as there was no stump to demolish, but.. BA goes higher.

This will be fun one to watch for the coming years.

I think that the headstart is tougher to call. BA may have a stump to demolish, but they do have the entire underground parking garage and foundations complete on the east side of the tower site. They do have a hole to dig on the west side though...

You're right caltrane - it will be fun to watch this race!

But the stump contains the elevator cores. With no building on top of what use would these be? I spoke to a construction worker a while back who told me the entire stump would go. Now he could have it wrong. We'll have to wait and see.

Was by last night and the stump was pretty much history. Just one 20 foot section and plenty of rubble.

Given the higher number of floors for BA and the stump issues and west side dig, I'm sure RBC will be built and occupied prior to BA completion.

Hopefully the art component for RBC and Ritz will include some night time illumination similar to BA.

I'm looking forward to the skyline's march westward with Shangri-La, RBC, Ritz and if the condo market continues to maintain a brisk pace (probably not as strong as this year, but still in the 10,000-12,000 units per year) for the next couple of years I would expect Cityplace to start sales of the final tower sometime in late 2008/early 2009. I believe there are 4 more buildings after Luna prior to the final tower.

But Ed, the stump seems to show up on the plans for the retail concourse just one floor below grade. Look though the renderings on Brookfield's website - it still seems to be there, and that they are just working around it.

They were filming the other night on Temperence, with all the concrete and twisted re-bar I couldnt help but think the site would be good for 911 movie.

It's still not clear to me why they would go to the extra expense to get rid of the stump- why didn't they just use it as the core for a new building. It would have saved them a year or two of construction time.

The single stump probably couldn't support a larger tower with the added square footage provided by the acquisition of the Bay St. frontage sites. It would have been engineered for a 57 storey tower.

Back