747     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 905     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 634     0 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
my point is that you are saying that the LRT will still be under capacity 10 years after opening, well of course it will. I was saying earlier that you have to look long term, 30 years or more as you end up spending $2 billion 30 years on to upgrade.

That sounds suspiciously like another way of saying Subways Subways Subways. Overbuild now because one day you might need it.

my point is that you are saying that the LRT will still be under capacity 10 years after opening, well of course it will. I was saying earlier that you have to look long term, 30 years or more as you end up spending $2 billion 30 years on to upgrade.

also, Hudak doesn't want anything on Hurontario, BRT or LRT. His focus is on the Yonge subway, Sheppard subway, and DRL.

Hudak is proposing to cut everything from the big move except for the yonge extension and the DRL, along with AD2W on a couple of GO lines. (probably Kitchener and Stouffville) everything else would be gone.

double standard much? Scarborough meets the minimum standard for subway, therefor it should get subway. Hurontario meets the maximum standard for BRT, therefor it should get BRT.

Careful with that slippery slope argument. That's why we're getting an underground streetcar on Eglinton, right?

That sounds suspiciously like another way of saying Subways Subways Subways. Overbuild now because one day you might need it.

Of course it is - except that Hurontario has the development patterns to show intensification in the works (plus additional bonus of linking 2 to 3 growth centres and an entire stretch of Hurontario with redevelopment potential - unlike STC and what, a moribund route with little to no opportunity for redevelopment (even though I tepidly support the extension in subway form).

AoD

Last edited:
Of course it is - except that Hurontario has the development patterns to show intensification in the works (plus additional bonus of linking 2 to 3 growth centres and an entire stretch of Hurontario with redevelopment potential - unlike STC and what, a moribund route with little to no redevelopment potential (even though I tepidly support the extension in subway form).

AoD

Exactly, the difference is that Hurontario has an actually possibility and probability of growing into that ridership, Subway ridership numbers are not only much, much more difficult to reach, Eglinton and Sheppard would never reach them within a reasonable timespan. (i.e. over 50 years, where it is better to build an intermediate technology)

Exactly, the difference is that Hurontario has an actually possibility and probability of growing into that ridership, Subway ridership numbers are not only much, much more difficult to reach, Eglinton and Sheppard would never reach them within a reasonable timespan. (i.e. over 50 years, where it is better to build an intermediate technology)

but that growth is/was factored into the ridership projections to 2031 and still show it within BRT numbers....no?

innsertnamehere:

Now, the saving grace of a BD extension is its' purpose of funnelling riders arriving at STC by other modes (buses, mainly), which is well and good - but I find the merit pales in comparison to the transformative effect a Hurontario LRT will likely provide.

TOareafan:

Ridership projections are just that - remember it is based on a whole series of assumptions that could be wrong, sometime dramatically wrong. Case in point - the development patterns around STC and the type of supporting transit infrastructure it will require. If I am a betting person, I would bet on Hurontario LRT exceeding ridership projections than the other way around.

Besides, since we are on the matter of cost - upsizing the Hurontario case to LRT requires far less of an investment than upsizing the SRT replacement to subway (even though LRT will suffice).

AoD

Last edited:
Again, 2031 numbers. I'm talking 2041, 2051 numbers.

Which is also where a subway becomes amenable on Eglinton, etc... In fact, I don't think we can accurately forecast ridership for any route that far out. I don't think anyone 40 years ago had an even clear idea of where Toronto was going to end up.

It seems that it's ok to use the 'LRT is cheap now' argument for getting subpar technology on Eglinton (at least the central section), but when it's done on an LRT route (Sheppard especially) oh no! Sheppard is well within BRT territory for the next few decades! Again, why was it and continues to be the main priority for an LRT route? It's frankly embarrassing.

double standard much? Scarborough meets the minimum standard for subway, therefor it should get subway. Hurontario meets the maximum standard for BRT, therefor it should get BRT.

It doesn't and won't meet the maximum for BRT based on the 2031 projection according to the report. The LRT borrows the "build it and they'll come" mentality. What's good for any LRT is not good for subways...

Pro-LRT fans are very rigorous on numbers when it's against subways but are eager to bend them when it favors LRT when BRT could do the job...

Double Standards indeed

Careful with that slippery slope argument. That's why we're getting an underground streetcar on Eglinton, right?

That's right. They don't want to hear that Eglinton was in the subway threshold if the line would have been buried...

Filip:

The only "sub-par" part of the central portion of Eglinton LRT is the length of the station platforms - which is while short, are still significantly longer than the Canada Line (40-50m vs 100m). There are no reasons why we can expect a much higher level of capacity with judicious modifications and operational changes.

Solid Snake:

Pro-LRT fans are very rigorous on numbers when it's against subways but are eager to bend them when it favors LRT when BRT could do the job...

Perhaps, but considering capital costs increase significantly as you move up the capacity ladder, there is an increasing need for due diligence.

AoD

Last edited:
Yes that is a partial list of Phase2 (leaving out the ones that Hudak is supporting like DRL)....and if I understand Hudak's plan...it is to reduce the cost of those projects to a level that he can deliver without the revenue tools and use a combination of existing tax revenue and cost savings/efficiencies.

But those phase 2 projects I thought didn't have any funding attached to them yet? Aren't they supposed to be funded entirely with the revenue tools? So even if he does cancel them along with any phase 1 projects which don't satisfy his subway fetish, he will still be severely short on cash to build his plan.

TOareafan:

Ridership projections are just that - remember it is based on a whole series of assumptions that could be wrong, sometime dramatically wrong. Case in point - the development patterns around STC and the type of supporting transit infrastructure it will require. If I am a betting person, I would bet on Hurontario LRT exceeding ridership projections than the other way around.

Besides, since we are on the matter of cost - upsizing the Hurontario case to LRT requires far less of an investment than upsizing the SRT replacement to subway (even though LRT will suffice).

AoD

As I have said before, I am very skeptical about the ridership potential of this route in the northern portion of it. I think the south (MCC to PC) makes sense and since (last I heard) it is not going to be a single ride route anyway (ie. there is a forced transfer at MCC between the two halves) I just don't get the need to build both halves now. Build the south and let MiWay and BRT service the northern portion with enhanced/express bus services until it needs more (which I don't think it will).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back