725     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 882     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 625     0 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see it in the article. Is Hudak proposing improving GO only in the city of Toronto. GO improvements are the most appealling form of transit spending to most people in the 905.
The trains all go downtown. I live and work a GO in the old city. If they start some 2-way service, I still win.

Also, if you say that no new roads, I suppose you are suggesting that the 905 does not benefit from the Gardiner reconstruction.
Not half as much as I do! Still ... it doesn't add any capacity - and Liberals haven't indicated they'd let City get rid of Gardiner either.

That is all true....but, don't forget, it is not just LRTs he is cancelling it is the proposed revenue tools. There will be a significant number of residents of suburbs (those that never ride transit and never plan to) that will see it as a net gain...losing the shiny new toy of the transit folks and losing the taxes/fees/tolls that were going to pay for it.

People i talk to out here in 905land tell me their biggest fear is that they are going to pay fees/taxes/tolls and all the talk about transit priorities are subways (SRT replacement, eventual Sheppard East replacement and DRL)...it is an easier sell to anyone (but, to be fair, moreso in 905) to say "we won't raise your taxes or fees/tolls/etc...but the trade off is you won't get a LRT" than it is to say "you will get new taxes/fees/tolls/etc. and for the first 10 years or so we will spend most of that inside Toronto."

Again, there are more people in Mississauga that will pay those proposed new fees but never ride the LRT than there are that will ride the LRT and not be touched by the revenue tools.....it is my bet that this is the vote calc that Hudak and the Tories are making.

Keep in mind too that even if someone doesn't use transit, they still get the benefit of less congested roads. This is especially true if it is attractive enough for people to choose it over driving, rather than simply meeting the transportation needs of those who cannot afford to own a car.

I definitely support GO improvements, subway improvements, and LRT in the right places.

The thing is, Ontario is so behind in transit infrastructure, we need everything being planned now to be built.

I suppose on the bright side, the DRL appears to be getting to the point, where there is universal recognition that it's essential.

Yeah - as other have pointed out - it's a real positive that he is prioritizing the DRL, and not following Ford's insane 'downtown has enough subways' take. Seems like there really is momentum for the line finally.

If Hudak won on a plan of finishing the Sheppard stubway instead of the DRL (like Ford seems intent on doing), it would be a disaster.

The GTA needs all the transit it can get, so I'm hoping Wynne wins, and that we get the FWLRT, SELRT AND the DRL (I assume the EC is untouchable at this point). But at least Hudak seems to have a basic understanding of the importance of the DRL going forward.

I think you need to go back to the lengthy discussions about the H-LRT....I am not opposed to it at all...what I have stated is that the northern portion of it is an overbuilding of transit for the corridor and, in particular, the portion in Brampton is pointless. I fully agree with the Mayor of Mississauga when she says the LRT is necessary from Mississauga City Centre to Port Credit. I would just stop it at the Mississauga Busway.

Why are you going to stop the LRT at the Hurontario and Rathburn? You're missing out on providing rapid transit to residences and employment north of Rathburn. My biggest problem with the LRT is the loop around Square One. It should just go straight up Hurontario to Brampton.

A limited stop bus service on Burnhamthorpe would be nice too.

Why are you going to stop the LRT at the Hurontario and Rathburn? You're missing out on providing rapid transit to residences and employment north of Rathburn. My biggest problem with the LRT is the loop around Square One. It should just go straight up Hurontario to Brampton.

A limited stop bus service on Burnhamthorpe would be nice too.

Plus there's nowhere in North Mississauga to stop the LRT.

My Conservativese is a little rusty, but I think the translation is something like this: cancel all planned transit expansions except for three stations in Scarborough, put off any future expansions indefinitely while telling the public you're looking for "efficiencies", collapse GO and TTC into a single entity as an excuse to gut their budget, and privatize bus services. Direct any future transit money to highway repair.

In other words, we're back to the glory days of the 1990s.

Conspicuously absent is any mention of Eglinton. Would he go for another Harris repeat and fill the hole back in?

I too am a bit confused. What I am reading is:

- Cancel Big Move 2020 but keep its plans subway and GO train expansion plan (main component of Big Move 2020).
- Cancel all LRT and BRT projects, and those savings, along with government savings through efficiency will help pay for the much more expensive subway and train expansion without raising taxes (aka Magic Beans solution).

What, did Hudak get this plan from Rob Ford?

Hudak knows full well that if he doesn't win this election, he's done as leader of the Conservative and whatever strategy he used last time wasn't good enough. Without Toronto, the Liberals will most likely win another minority government. He's betting all on Toronto, he'll live and die with that gamble. At this point, he really have nothing to lose to do that.

That being said, I think he sincerely believe in the "Transport for London" or "RATP Paris" model which works very well and far exceed our own model with the National Rail Service or the RER working in harmony with their respective subways. Talking about the DRL instead of the Sheppard Subway along with improving GO was a surprise to say the least.

That being said, I don't think he will get that much backlash from canceling suburban local LRT projects. I know we're all transit enthusiast here and there are a lot out there too. The harsh and cold reality is that the majority of the 905 voters drive and that these drivers represent the silent majority. Yes, silent majority. The minority will scream out of outrage for the cancellation of theses projects but they are far from being the majority who votes.

1-Most drivers don't care about LRT. Most 905ers care WAY more about a more accessible GO Train service that will get them to work faster than being on the highway than a local LRT. Unless that LRT is at their doors, they will drive to a GO station if those trains are more frequent, parking is available, and going in both directions. That's reality. People saying that the 905 and it's driver will boycott the PC for cancelling those project are mistaken.

2-Those revenue tools from the Wynne Government will be very hard to sell. Those revenue tools that will costs families hundreds of dollars extra per year are extremely unpopular in the 905 and beyond, even in Toronto. That's where Hudak's gamble kicks in. He will keep justifying cancelling those projects to save families from those revenue tools. He offers Toronto, Scarborough and York region with subway extensions and those in the 905 will get better GO train services.

Most GTA residents don't want those taxes, especially when it's being sold by a government that irresponsibly and without any remorse Billions of our taxes. The liberals have absolutely no credibility. If there hadn't been a e-health scandal, Orange debacle, the gas plant atrocity and Ontario would have prospered under the Liberals, voters would have accepted their pitch. After all those billions down the drain that could have built a DRL, they have the nerve to ask us to trust them with more... Good luck with that.

3-Uploading the subways and possibly the whole TTC onto Metrolinx is aimed at emulating the Transport for London model. There should be more GO stations connected with the subway stations such as Oriole with the Sheppard line. Trains should be way more frequent then they are and more frequent. Regional gridlock is very costly...billions per years and we're one of the worse in North America.

I have family in Europe and people over there don't drive to work in the city. They drive to the closest NSR and RER stations and they can get almost anywhere in the city. They drive when they really have too. That's how you tackle gridlock. Our highways and our streets are jammed because the GO is not good enough even though there trains are full at rush hours. GO Trains services and a subway network that can absorb those extra passenger is vital and an absolute #1 priority.

As for his financial plan... I have doubts. Can he find efficiencies? Sure he can but by how much? He'll be judge on his financial plan when he releases it.

Last edited:
Sorry, local roads are jammed not because of long-distance commutes - they are jammed because of inadequacy of local transportation systems. Better GO and one or two subway lines would do iota for the greater issue of gridlock (not to mention, just how would GO replicate the functions of say the 401 without significant improvement to local transit, given the "last mile" problem?).

AoD

Last edited:
Sorry, local roads are jammed not because of long-distance commutes - they are jammed because of inadequacy of local transportation systems. Better GO and one or two subway lines would do iota for the greater issue of gridlock (not to mention, just how would GO replicate the functions of say the 401, given the "last mile" problem?).

AoD

I agree with the fact that local transportation service is inadequate. Reserved lanes and BRT are just as good of an option and way way less expensive. BRT should stay but LRT are very expensive. For the same price, BRT could be implemented on twice the number of KM.

Read that article from Forbes.com
Bus Rapid Transit Spurs Development Better Than Light Rail Or Streetcars: Study

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcm...opment-better-than-light-rail-and-streetcars/

With the report found here

http://www.itdp.org/library/publica...h-american-transit-corridors?/moredevelopment

Last edited:
For certain routes BRTs are possibilities - for others, the implementation of BRT is problematic due to inadequate capacity and/or effiacy. To just dismiss LRT out of hand (like Hurontario) is just a one-size fit all non-solution.

AoD

For certain routes BRTs are possibilities - for others, the implementation of BRT is problematic due to inadequate capacity and/or effiacy. To just dismiss LRT out of hand (like Hurontario) is just a one-size fit all non-solution.

AoD

You're right, dismissing Hurontario is wrong but it's still within BRT number according to the analysis from the project's report. Nothing stops the BRT from being converted to LRT later

That was said in Ottawa when they built their brt, and 30 years later they are finally converting at a cost of $2 billion. People always claim that brt it convertible to LRT, but it isn't really. Ottawa is the first case on the planet to do the conversion iirc, and it's essentially a new build, almost 0 of the brt infrastructure is being used. If you build brt, you are stuck with brt. LRT is preferable on hurontario as even though opening day will be brt level traffic, future growth will likely overwhelm brt and therefor it is better to build LRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back