News   Sep 04, 2024
 764     1 
News   Sep 04, 2024
 429     1 
News   Sep 04, 2024
 436     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

The Federal NDP have pulled the Supply and Confidence agreement that been keeping the Trudeau Libs empowered.

They have not voted non-confidence, and are indicating that they will not do so automatically, but rather that they will no longer commit in advance to voting w/the Liberals and will now consider the matter anew with each bill/vote.

Jagmeet needs to s*** or get off the pot.

Either he supports the Liberals or he does not but he cannot have it both ways. I think you will see pressure for him to pull the trigger on an election and put his money where his mouth is.

If he sits on the fence, it will anger alot of people both within the party and outside of it. I can see it being his downfall.

During the Labour Day Parade I was talking with Faisal Hassan (Former York South Weston MPP) and others. There was no forewarning of this among the NDP staffers and former MPPs attending.

One interesting bit that Faisal and myself talked about was Jagmeets ability to have large numbers of supporters at his rallies but that most of them are people who cannot legally vote in Canada.

As a lifelong NDP'r with insight into the party, I don't see this ending well for the Federal NDP. They backed themselves into a corner with this move and have to tank the LPC or risk being branded as unreliable.

The problem is, if they do force an election they will not win it and cause themselves to be decimated. Idiots.

Jagmeet needs to s*** or get off the pot.

Either he supports the Liberals or he does not but he cannot have it both ways.

Sure he can. He can provide support on a case by case, bill by bill basis, that's perfectly legal and practical; though it will be an irritant for the Trudeau Libs on some items.

I think you will see pressure for him to pull the trigger on an election and put his money where his mouth is.

I don't think people are overly clamoring for an early federal election. The Trudeau Libs are broadly unpopular, but a proper parsing of polling data will show that the PCs and the NDP and their respective leaders are not having a love affair w/the broader populace either.

As a lifelong NDP'r with insight into the party, I don't see this ending well for the Federal NDP. They backed themselves into a corner with this move and have to tank the LPC or risk being branded as unreliable.

They agreed to a deal to back the government for so long as it agreed to support certain pieces of legislation/policy. For the most part, the partial commitments made by the Liberals have been honoured, but there isn't much that's outstanding for them to deliver, that they were willing/able to agree to.

The NDP had only two practical choices here, one was to continue to be linked to an unpopular incumbent government, for seemingly little gain, or to try to leverage whatever capital continuing w/the agreement gives them, a fresh set of demands.

On the latter, I suspect the Libs would largely say 'no' to most demands.........leaving the NDP looking weak and ineffective. In the alternative, if the Libs did agree to some additional social investments or the like, the Libs would likely get the credit.

I don't really see anything wrong with the NDP move here, and I see very little upside for them in the status quo.

The problem is, if they do force an election they will not win it and cause themselves to be decimated. Idiots.

The NDP faces serious electoral headwinds whatever they do. I'm not sure that this action can be seen to increase these any.

Last edited:
When I received the headlines just now, it was shocking but understandable to me.
So business as usual. Just theater to try and distance themselves from the Liberals. Can't imagine they actually believe they are in a position to beat PP, and would force an election.
I think this would explain why:
Voters love to punish governments, and often vote against a party rather than *for* a party. Poilievre and the CPC have to start providing reasons to vote for them
Many Canadian voters see elections as a choice between the Conservative and Liberal parties, as they have been the only two parties to govern this country. There is no denying the current government is unpopular, but it seems to be more of a Trudeau thing than a Liberal Party thing.

It may be like the provincial level, where Doug Ford's PCs easily won in 2018 thanks to how unpopular Kathleen Wynne's Liberals were. Could we be seeing this at the federal level? A bit too likely for me.

It's perfectly legitimate for Singh to say "A Trudeau government that depends on NDP support is better right now than the alternative, which is a Pierre Poilievre government. So we'll help them pass the goals that are important to us, and we've outlined some red lines that would cause the government to fall."

It was silly for Singh to be out on Twitter lambasting the government as horrible for working Canadians... while in an explicit deal to support that government.

Back