659     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 640     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 286     0 

Pearson T1 - Pier F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to know they're fixing Serra's sculpture! I still can't believe how they let that happen, there are stores and bars all around it - I'm sure they could've stopped it from happening...

I still can't believe how they let that happen

Why blame the people in the vicinity? All the responsibility for this act lies with the assholes who carried out the vandalism.

I wonder what kind of surface will be applied to it this time that will resist scratchitti?

I was thinking a surface of jagged industrial diamond chips might work too.

Better still if the blades whirled in circles around their centre-point, travelling in opposite directions at an equally great speed.

Actually, after the last plane has landed every night, it does that for about 2 hours. Special agents drop into the middle from a rope ladder attached to the ceiling and are sent on secret missions all across the world* through the time portal it temporarily creates.

*except time zones where it's off by a half hour like Newfoundland. Also, don't get caught in it when Daylight Savings comes into or goes out of effect, when you'll get the time & space travel equivalent of 'the bends'.

In a way I kind of liked the etched grafitti.
I noticed that the sculpture was boarded up on my return through Pearson in late May. It was open in all it's marked-up glory when I left.

Now, onto my beef wit Pier F. Before opening the new peir, the new terminal was very open, creating a sense of vastness. Now there are glass walls everywhere, making the terminal look less impressive. I understand there are security issues, but......... T1 just doesnt look as nice on the inside anymore.

I can't believe someone scratched up the Tilted Spheres already. I would think they should have been able to catch anyone placing grafitti or scratchitii in an airport in all but the washrooms with all the heightened security and security cameras they are supposed to have.

They had it all cordoned off when I went to France in April. It looked like everyone who had passed through that part of the terminal had put their initials on it. I assumed that was what they intended to happen.

One wonders if the art police would have made such a fuss if the other bronze sculptures in that terminal had been defaced. Serra, being an A-list artist, gets full protection, I guess ...

Funny how it was cordoned off in April, but in May when I was there (May 6) I was able to walk right through it, and if I so desired, add my initials or message to the sculpture (which I didnt).

I too thought that the scratchitti was part of the piece. I first thought it was a way of the public interacting with the art. Then I started to think that maybe the artist did it him/her-self as who would really go up and scratch a new piece of art in a highly secured airport???? I guess I was wrong on that though.

It really is an impressive piece. I wonder what they will do to deter more vandalism (if you can call it that..... since I am of the opinion that it looks good with the scratchitti)? Coat it in some clear plastic?

oh, we could still walk through it in April, and enjoy the interesting echo effect - they just had stanchions and cords around it

Actually, on Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport's official website, they say they have 4700 acres, 5 runways of 9,000 feet in length or longer, and served 85.9 million passengers in 2005.

thorough 42

we should remember that most US traffic are domestic. Toronto is positioning itself to get out of the local business and steal the international market. I don't think Atlanta is as a big as a international player as say New York, Chicago or LA when it comes to flights.

If so many people at the airport have nothing to do but scrawl scratchitti on the Serra, then perhaps the solution would be to give them a surface near the sculpture where scrachitti would be allowed. Something like a big panel for people to scratch their names and when they were in Toronto. That panel could become a piece of public artwork in its own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back