News   Jul 12, 2024
 693     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Pearson T1 - Pier F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Terminal 1

Yea, thanks for the corrections yyzer - I don't get it though, why has Iberia good loads but low yield? I think those two would go together, non?

Anyway, to answer your question:
Emirates will eventually end up here, they've been pushing the YYZ route for the past 3 years. They've made it clear that they'd be flying their triple 7's here. I'm not sure which - but I believe it'd be the 777-300ER (like Air Canada's).

Air Canada's 777-300ER is in fact scheduled to arrive on Thursday - considering how bad the weather will be, I suggest you don't make the trip. Otherwise, if you really want to - the schedule can probably be found on Amadeus.

Cheers

Etihad are currently flying to YYZ with their own aircraft..flying Abu Dhabi - Brussels - Toronto....they are upgrading the flight to Abu Dhabi - Toronto nonstop, effective June 1st...

regarding 'yield'...believe it or not, sometimes a fully booked aircraft can still lose money, if the fares are not high enough...that's why all airlines want 1st and Business Class passengers - they pay much more, increasing the yield of the flight...

also, here's an update on the AC 777-300ER....it is now supposed to arrive here tonight (a day early) at 9:30pm....and will operate several flights to Montreal tomorrow and Friday...here's the tentative schedule:

April 5

dep / arr

400 07:00 / 8:12
405 09:00 / 10:15
412 12:50 / 14:00
417 15:00 / 16:18
422 18:00 / 19:15
427 20:15 / 21:35

April 6

400 07:00 / 8:12
405 09:00 / 10:15
412 12:50 / 14:00
417 15:00 / 16:18

The purpose of these shorthaul flights is to 'break-in' the airplane, as well as to familiarize the crew....then, on Friday night, it is supposed to operate from YYZ to London Heathrow
operating...

AC 856 leaving YYZ at 18:10

all this is subject to change...

Has demolition work begun on T2?

I was at the airport yesterday and it didn't appear as though demolition had begun. In fact, they're still using T2's satellite's for Air Jazz.

... And they'll continue using it even after T2 is gone.

Demolition was scheduled to begin in April iirc.

iirc they're going to recycle as much as they can so it won't just be a straight demolition, it's going to take a longer time. so they'll probably strip the interior first, of things such as marble and other usable things.

Marble? I remember lots of cheap ceramic tiles and grey carpeting.... no marble, though! Original T1 had some gorgeous marble and detailing, particularly around the old elevators.

Jet Airways

An article from the star today stating that Jet Airways will be arriving as of August 23 5 times a week and then daily in the fall.

Apr 18, 2007 04:30 AM
Prithi Yelaja
Staff Reporter

An India-based airline plans to start daily flights between Toronto and New Delhi later this year, filling a void that will be left when Air Canada abandons that route in May.

As part of aggressive global-expansion plans, Mumbai-based Jet Airways will offer flights five days a week out of Pearson Airport starting Aug. 23. Flights will become daily in fall, Bala Chandrashekar, Jet's general manager for Canada and the American Midwest, said yesterday.

Officials from the Greater Toronto Airports Authority are in New Delhi meeting with India's aviation minister to explore the possibility of further expanding flights into Toronto. The Canada-India open skies agreement allows for 35 flights a week between the countries.

Also beginning in August, Jet will offer daily flights from Newark, N.J., to Mumbai. Both routes will operate via Brussels.

"There is a huge Indian population here, and they don't have any connection to Delhi or Mumbai right now," said Chandrashekar. "Our market research shows this is a very lucrative route."

Air Canada decided in February to discontinue daily flights to New Delhi in favour of boosting service to China.

"Because of the seasonal nature of the Delhi traffic, it was difficult to fill the flights on a year-round basis," with demand dropping off in summer, Air Canada spokesperson Peter Fitzpatrick said at the time.

That decision had no impact on Jet's expansion here, said Chandrashekar.

"It's not because of Air Canada pulling back that we are planning to start. It was always in the cards. We don't really consider Air Canada a threat" because Jet has opulent service and the lure of homegrown loyalty.

Indo-Canadian business leaders who had decried Air Canada's move were elated by yesterday's news.

"We're just ecstatic," said Ajit Khanna, president of the Indo-Canada Chamber of Commerce. "If we're going to say that India is important from a Canadian trade perspective, this restores the link just when Air Canada removed it. Done properly that route can fly, so to speak, and be lucrative."

Jet, launched in 1993 by Indian businessman Naresh Goyal, is rated among the highest of India's domestic airlines for customer satisfaction.

Thanks yyzer for info regarding Etihad non-stop flight. I didn't know about this and right now was about to buy BA instead.

I still don't understand why Canada refuses EK flights, considering its one of the largest and safest airlines? Is there some politician to contact regarding this imbecilic decision? A non-stop Dubai-TO flight would certainly saves me a lot of headache.

Has demolition work begun on T2?

I am happy to report that as of Friday, external demolition has finally begun at T2.....there is machinery in place, and a large chunk of what used to be the international end of T2 is gone.....:)

yyzer - are the highspeed moving walkways to and from the international hammerhead operational yet? it wasn't complete upon opening of the pier...

42 - afaik, everything is operational now....I will follow up to be sure...

yyzer - are the highspeed moving walkways to and from the international hammerhead operational yet? it wasn't complete upon opening of the pier...

According to my contact, the walkways have been complete for a long time now, but they ran into some operational problems in testing....specifically, worries about sending 80 year old women flying off the end....

At this point, they are still testing! :rolleyes:

It's not like this is new technology or anything. There are plenty of airports with moving walkways (perhaps hundreds?). Just find out the speed of walkway at the other airports and adjust accordingly.

No no, this is a completely different technology, far faster than the moving walkways we're used to. It was first installed at Montparnasse in Paris, and there they had a full time employee at either end evaluating if the passengers were healthy and fit enough to ride the walkway. Obviously the vast majority are, but 80 year olds or people with injuries should be riding a high-speed walkway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back