753     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 691     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Pearson T1 - Pier F

Status
Not open for further replies.
New technology or not, something like the appropriate speed should be well known in the industry (after all these years).

Like I said, this is nothing like the moving walkways that have operated for years. There are only a couple in the world. If it's like the Montparnasse walkway, the way it works is that you hold the handrail tightly and keep your feet still as it accelerates you along rollers until you reach a speed sufficient to allow you to step on to the high-speed walkway. It's over twice as fast as any other moving walkway in operation.

Hopefully they will get it working soon. It's a long walk even with the other automated walkway beside it. It will be cool to see it operational. Sounds like a fun ride!

JG

I want it ready for June 8!

It's awesome! Haha... I really can't wait until it's open...and until I take an international flight. It is definitely a bit of a long trip back from the hammerhead without it open. I'm just not quite sure how people can ride the thing with luggage.

I'm not sure why but I thought it would be faster.

watch

Emirates coming to YYZ!

Just posted at the CTA government website, Canada has just given Emirates Airlines permission to begin selling seats from Canada (presumably YYZ) to Dubai....flights effective Oct 28....this while they are waiting to get their Canadian license....this almost certainly means that a new "Blue Skies" agreement with the UAE is forthcoming.....the addition of EK will be big news at Pearson....

Order No. 2007-A-176
May 29, 2007

IN THE MATTER OF an exemption from section 59 of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, to permit Emirates to sell, cause to be sold or publicly offer for sale in Canada a scheduled international service between the United Arab Emirates and Canada.
File No. M4212/E217-4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emirates (hereinafter the applicant) has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (hereinafter the Agency) for the exemption set out in the title. The application was received on May 17, 2007.

Section 59 of the Canada Transportation Act (hereinafter the CTA) prohibits an applicant from selling, causing to be sold or publicly offering for sale in Canada an air service without holding a licence in respect of that service. The applicant has applied for a scheduled international licence to operate a service between the United Arab Emirates and Canada. However, as the application is not yet complete, an exemption from the application of section 59 of the CTA is necessary in order to allow the applicant to sell, cause to be sold or publicly offer for sale in Canada the proposed air service prior to obtaining the applied for licence.

The applicant states that it proposes to start operating its service between the United Arab Emirates and Canada on October 28, 2007 and that it is in the process of obtaining a Canadian Foreign Air Operator Certificate issued by Transport Canada which is required to complete the licence application. Consequently, the applicant submits that in order for the proposed service to be viable, it must be able to offer for sale the service at the earliest possible date.

The Agency has carefully reviewed and considered the application and is of the opinion that in order for the proposed service to be viable, the applicant must be able to offer for sale seats at the earliest possible date. Therefore, the Agency finds that compliance by the applicant with section 59 of the CTA is impractical in the present circumstances.

Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 80(1)(c) of the CTA, hereby exempts the applicant from the application of section 59 of the CTA, thereby permitting the applicant to sell, cause to be sold or publicly offer for sale in Canada a scheduled international service between the United Arab Emirates and Canada, effective from the date of this Order, without holding the required licence, subject to the following conditions:

1. All passengers shall be notified, before reservation, that the international scheduled service is subject to government approval. All future advertising in any media, whether in writing or by telecommunication, shall also include this information.

2. The applicant shall apply its published tariffs, on file with the Agency and in effect, to sales of transportation.

3. The exemption authorized herein does not relieve the applicant from the requirement to hold a licence in respect of the service to be provided and, accordingly, no flights shall be operated until the appropriate licence authority has been granted.

4. The applicant shall arrange to provide alternative air transportation by an appropriately licensed air carrier, at no additional cost for all passengers who have made reservations with the applicant, or, if such arrangements are not possible or acceptable to the passenger, to provide a full refund of all monies paid by the passenger, should the international scheduled licence not issue.

The exemption granted herein does not exempt the applicant from the requirements of other legislative acts or regulations, including those of Transport Canada.

I'm really curious about the high-speed walkways. I recall reading an article about how they have been having real problems with them in Paris and several foolish people had hurt themselves. When a moving walkway requires special instructions otherwise you may injure yourself, I question the long-term viability in the location that you're guaranteed to have people who don't understand whatever language the instructions are provided in. I'd like to think that the GTAA has completely assessed this, but sometimes I just don't know.

Demolition is starting on T2. Right now it's the far east end, towards where the Jazz planes are still docked.

I guess this one will be harder to get updates for compared to T1 old.

I passed through this thing on Saturday night, but unfortunately the Serra is hidden behind hoarding to be "refurbished" after graffiti was scrawled on it. Some nice ceramics in cases courtesy of the Ontario Crafts council, and some other sculpture, though.

I've seen the Serra sculpture from afar while waiting for a flight from the US side of the pier. It's a shame these hooligans show no respect for the artwork. I guess they'll have to put some type of barrier around it to reduce the chance of more graffiti being scrawled (of course some idiots will probably still be able to deface it). Wouldn't it be easy to catch the culprits anyways? It's not like the piece is hidden in some far corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back