754     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 691     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Pearson T1 - Pier F

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's some pics from May 31, showing the gradual demolition of Terminal 2...

The east end is mostly rubble now....

31May2007aModQDestruction.jpg

what used to be the driving on-ramps to departures and arrivals, now gone..

31May2007bT2InRampGone.jpg

some preliminary work at the west end...

31May2007cT2Preparation.jpg

Filip, I can put in a request....:D

:D Thanks so much.. Last time I saw the Hammerhead there was a Lufthansa A340-600 and an Alitalia parked side by side, with a couple of AC jets.. All over the place of course. Last I saw of T3 - there was BA 777, KLM 777 and Air France 747 ligned up.. quite cutely.. Tres EU.

yyzer: thanks for the update shots-

I was wondering what is the plan after T2 is gone- are they going to be building another pier similar to the one parallel to F? I seem to recall that in the plans somewhere..

p5

yyzer: thanks for the update shots-

I was wondering what is the plan after T2 is gone- are they going to be building another pier similar to the one parallel to F? I seem to recall that in the plans somewhere..

p5

Not like Pier F, but like Pier E (the one beside it). Pier F is meant as the centrerpiece... Anyway, until they build it, I believe the land where T2 stood will be used as an apron parking space for aircraft.

Thanks- appreciate the explanation, so does that mean its going to be built now after demolition or only if needed?

I did write it correctly though-
are they going to be building another pier similar to the one parallel to F?
;)

Thanks- appreciate the explanation, so does that mean its going to be built now after demolition or only if needed?

I did write it correctly though-
;)

Oh I'm sorry, guess I need to pay more attention - I'm just exhausted...

Anyway, it's a demand pier, it will be built once certain passenger numbers are reached (or passenger number predictions)... So I see it start construction 2010ish. I think Pearson now has enough capacity for 36 million passengers (it served 31 million last year).

^^No problem!

I don't see there being much demand instantaneously, however, it usually takes a couple of years to complete, so maybe 2008/09 is more likely?

p5

I am actually kind of sad to see T2 gone (going).
I know there was nothing special with that terminal, but being a constant AC traveller, I have used that terminal countless times.

As someone who does not fly AC very often (the last time was a crossborder flight three years ago, so that was out of T2), I have yet to actually use T1-New, and I also never flew out of Aeroquay 1, though remember the trips up to the top of the parking garage.

I have used T2 a few times, and I am not sad to see it go (perhaps because of the US pre-clearance and the long lines at Canadian Customs there), except maybe the terraced parking garage, which was kind of cool. T-1 was much sadder.

Thanks for the updates. I did not see this until today!

There was nothing wrong with T2. Unless there were engineering problems that were never reported, the building seemed perfectly sound. I wonder if the day will come when demolishing functional buildings - however drab - will be frowned upon for the waste it implies?

I wonder if the day will come when demolishing functional buildings - however drab - will be frowned upon for the waste it implies?

I hope so. T2 was only 35 years old, had received millions in upgrades and was perfectly useable. Same with the parking lot. Both structures could have easily been incorporated into the new terminal with some modifications. The whole notion of buildings being disposable for reasons of civic or personal vanity will soon be recognized as unethical and unsustainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back