News   Aug 08, 2024
 255     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 338     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 1.9K     2 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

It's been a good joke this past three weeks, but is someone gonna inform the trucker protestors that the provincial government has jurisdiction over COVID-19 policy and restrictions and not the Feds?

I am not sure I'd be laughing, if this was a "joke".

The Conservatives have tabled a motion asking for a plan to end federal mandates. https://westernstandardonline.com/2...o-end-vaccine-mandates-and-trucker-blockades/

“I believe the time has come for you to take down the barricades, stop the disruptive action, and come together. The economy that you want to see reopened, is hurting,” said Bergen in the House on Thursday morning.
“I believe this is not what you want to do… You’re protesting because you love your country, you want your freedom back. To the protesters here in Ottawa, you came bringing a message, that message has been heard.”

That's a big fat no.

AoD

I still would have liked to see some water cannon action just to send a clear message.

Alas, we are not France.

This in the Guardian is worth noting. There will clearly be more variants and it is not wise to assume they are going to get weaker or that existing vaccines will offer immunity. Yes, of course, adjust the precautions and the rules but be very ready to increase them or change them as the situation changes. Road maps are a great idea but if there is no map of the unexplored territory and the road ahead is shrouded in fog ..... As the early map-makers used to say "Here be monsters".

“The Omicron variant did not come from the Delta variant. It came from a completely different part of the virus’s family tree. And since we don’t know where in the virus’s family tree a new variant is going to come from, we cannot know how pathogenic it might be. It could be less pathogenic but it could, just as easily, be more pathogenic,” he said.

This point was backed by virologist Prof Lawrence Young of Warwick University. “People seem to think there has been a linear evolution of the virus from Alpha to Beta to Delta to Omicron,” he told the Observer. “But that is simply not the case. The idea that virus variants will continue to get milder is wrong. A new one could turn out to be even more pathogenic than the Delta variant, for example.”

‘There seems to be the perception that immunocompromised people are very old and very sick and it doesn’t really matter’: Ceinwen Giles, who has reduced immunity after cancer treatment
David Nabarro, a special envoy on Covid-19 for the World Health Organization, also highlighted the uncertainty of how future variants might behave: “There will be more variants after Omicron and if they are more transmissible they will dominate. In addition, they may cause different patterns of illness, in other words they may turn out to be more lethal or have more long-term consequences.”
See: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ead-caution-covid-restrictions-lifted-england

This in the Guardian is worth noting. There will clearly be more variants and it is not wise to assume they are going to get weaker or that existing vaccines will offer immunity. Yes, of course, adjust the precautions and the rules but be very ready to increase them or change them as the situation changes. Road maps are a great idea but if there is no map of the unexplored territory and the road ahead is shrouded in fog ..... As the early map-makers used to say "Here be monsters".

“The Omicron variant did not come from the Delta variant. It came from a completely different part of the virus’s family tree. And since we don’t know where in the virus’s family tree a new variant is going to come from, we cannot know how pathogenic it might be. It could be less pathogenic but it could, just as easily, be more pathogenic,” he said.

This point was backed by virologist Prof Lawrence Young of Warwick University. “People seem to think there has been a linear evolution of the virus from Alpha to Beta to Delta to Omicron,” he told the Observer. “But that is simply not the case. The idea that virus variants will continue to get milder is wrong. A new one could turn out to be even more pathogenic than the Delta variant, for example.”

‘There seems to be the perception that immunocompromised people are very old and very sick and it doesn’t really matter’: Ceinwen Giles, who has reduced immunity after cancer treatment
David Nabarro, a special envoy on Covid-19 for the World Health Organization, also highlighted the uncertainty of how future variants might behave: “There will be more variants after Omicron and if they are more transmissible they will dominate. In addition, they may cause different patterns of illness, in other words they may turn out to be more lethal or have more long-term consequences.”
See: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ead-caution-covid-restrictions-lifted-england

I think one problem is that whatever rules/restrictions we had are implemented very much ad hoc and hapharzardly (you can thank the provincial premiers most on this). How about tying to them to certain indicators - and restrictions will automatically trip up (and down) should they be breached. People can look at those and make preparations. Look at last November/December - we have denials after denials from the province for new measures when the writing is on the wall - and when it happened, people are surprised and pissed.

AoD

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC
The Conservatives have tabled a motion asking for a plan to end federal mandates. https://westernstandardonline.com/2...o-end-vaccine-mandates-and-trucker-blockades/
You know, if the Cons wanted to pull themselves up in the polls, all they had to do was put pressure on the sitting government use the military to bring and end to this. Even using the narrative that our country will not be held hostage by "professional protesters" using a one Peter MacKay's words if they have to. And getting the other opposition parties to force this as a confidence vote...

...they might actually help end this standoff. And look real pretty in doing so.

But of course they won't. They obviously perceive this as their voter base and capitulate to their unreasonable demands as demonstrated with said link. If it where any other group behind these protests that's not this base, they would be demanding skulls to be cracked instead. /bleh

Edit/Clarification: Not that I would vote for them by a mile and a metre...just speaking purely from a strategic point of view. >.<

Last edited:
Again, this has never been about mandates and restrictions.

You mean this doctor?

“It has been completely anti-science,” Nagase said who went on to explain “when healthy people wear masks, you are actually driving the evolution for any virus to overcome that mask.”

W. T. F.??

AoD

Last edited:
This in the Guardian is worth noting. There will clearly be more variants and it is not wise to assume they are going to get weaker or that existing vaccines will offer immunity.
I’ve done what I can, I’m triple vaxed, I wear my mask, I practice social distancing, I‘ve moved to WFH and haven’t visited anyone‘s home for two years now. Here’s the thing, I’m going to die. And so are you DSC, perhaps sooner, perhaps later, but DSC you’re a walking deadman. ⚰️

But when do we get to live? What is the threshold or target whereupon we can stand down? What’s the point of watching case counts and hospitalizations rise and fall if talk of a hypothetical new variant is enough to scare our politicians into coercing us back into hiding?

These protestors are idiots, and so is the chief of Ottawa Police for allowing his Downtown to be swamped. Thank goodness Toronto didn’t hire that tool as TPS chief. But I’m done, I’ve done my part. I’ve booked my flight to London, and will continue to mask and take sensible precautions as I see the sights and visit family. But I need to live now - @DSC, you, me, and the rest of us will be dead a long time. What are you going to do beforehand?

Last edited:

Back