News   Aug 08, 2024
 245     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 1K     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

If Justin took a page from his father's book, this protest would have ended long ago.

For clarity, somewhat different circumstances. In the several years preceding 1970, the FLQ had detonated a couple of hundred bombs, several members had been convicted of murder, and just before the WMA was invoked, two persons had been kidnapped.

For clarity, somewhat different circumstances. In the several years preceding 1970, the FLQ had detonated a couple of hundred bombs, several members had been convicted of murder, and just before the WMA was invoked, two persons had been kidnapped.

It cuts both ways though - you are dealing with a completely different era when things actually move much more slowly - no social media with mass mobilization (people and money) capability, for one. We literally just had one of our economic arteries cut (and it is still cut, one day after the injunction) - and I don't think FLQ did anything nearly as potentially destructive nearly this quickly. I think people need to realize the degree of vulnerability this act has demonstrated. What I have seen so far is an inability to predict and neutralize these acts and mitigate their impact. We had, and are still having a failure of imagination.

AoD

Last edited:
It cuts both ways though - you are dealing with a completely different era when things actually move much more slowly - no social media with mass mobilization (people and money) capability, for one. We literally just had one of our economic arteries cut (and it is still cut, one day after the injunction) - and I don't think FLQ did anything nearly as potentially destructive nearly this quickly. I think people need to realize the degree of vulnerability this act has demonstrated. What I have seen so far is an inability to predict and neutralize these acts and mitigate their impact. We had, and are still having a failure of imagination.

AoD
Good points all. The FLQ was not a 'popular movement' like we see today. They no doubt had their sympathizers but, as you say, couldn't hope to mobilize fellow travellers and like minds, or manipulate messaging like groups can today. Their activities also didn't have the nation-wide economic impact. Not to be ignored, though, they did murder 8 people.

Good points all. The FLQ was no a 'mass movement' like we see today. They no doubt had their sympathizers but, as you say, couldn't hope to mobilize fellow travellers and like minds, or manipulate messaging like groups can today. Their activities also didn't have the nation-wide economic impact. Not to be ignored, though, they did murder 8 people.

Not discounting that - but FLQ is "old style terrorism" with extremely localized appeal; this is a much more virulent movement with far more tools and resources - and are able to basically fight like guerrillas - and with unknown linkages to outside forces (and we know the power of one such force down south), and have the capacity to inflict the kind of lasting damage to the country in a way the FLQ can only dream of. Far, far more dangerous.

AoD

AoD

Uhhh,

The FLQ kidnapped, and murdered a provincial cabinet minister and Deputy Premier, Pierre LaPorte
They also kidnapped a British Diplomat, James Cross.

To even remotely compare the nonsense on the border, or in Ottawa to kidnapping, murder and bombings is completely irrational and unacceptable.
Not the same at all.

I have no time for the blockades or the Ottawa occupation.....the point has been made, such as it is, long ago.
That said, there have been no bombings, no kidnappings and no murders............not remotely on the same level as the October Crisis.

Uhhh,

The FLQ kidnapped, and murdered a provincial cabinet minister and Deputy Premier, Pierre LaPorte
They also kidnapped a British Diplomat, James Cross.

To even remotely compare the nonsense on the border, or in Ottawa to kidnapping, murder and bombings is completely irrational and unacceptable.
Not the same at all.

I have no time for the blockades or the Ottawa occupation.....the point has been made, such as it is, long ago.
That said, there have been no bombings, no kidnappings and no murders............not remotely on the same level as the October Crisis.

You think the murder of 8 people over an extended period is actually more destructive than a per day economic loss to the tune of a neat billion? And need I remind you - that a certain chunk of said protesters have also chosen to ignore the injunction as well. Economic warfare is warfare.

AoD

Last edited:
You think the murder of 8 people is actually more destructive than a per day economic loss to the tune of a neat billion?

AoD

Yes, without a shadow of a doubt; and that you apparently do not is deeply concerning.

Edit to add:

Canada's national GDP (normative) is 1.8 Trillion dollars per year.

An absolute loss of 1B would be a loss of less than 0.1% of GDP, a rounding error.

Beyond that, however, most of that money will be recouped, likely to excess, when the car companies (among others) pay overtime to get production and supply chains caught up.

Even were it otherwise, life is more important than money.

Of course, there is a point where the lack of the latter affects the former, but we really aren't there yet.

Yes, without a shadow of a doubt; and that you apparently do not is deeply concerning.

Edit to add:

Canada's national GDP (normative) is 1.8 Trillion dollars per year.

An absolute loss of 1B would be a loss of less than 0.1% of GDP, a rounding error.

Beyond that, however, most of that money will be recouped, likely to excess, when the car companies (among others) pay overtime to get production and supply chains caught up.

Even were it otherwise, life is more important than money.

Of course, there is a point where the lack of the latter affects the former, but we really aren't there yet.

Per day - plus the knock on effect (human and otherwise) of that economic loss has to be taken into account as well. You are also rather unrealistically sanguine about the supply chain - our trading partners sure have noticed this lapse and would no doubt see it as a potential reason to repatriate their jobs if these disruption holds. Has FLQ ever achieved this level of damage to the nation as a whole?

AoD

Back