News   Aug 08, 2024
 284     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 848     1 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 459     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I’m beginning to tire of the news. Is there anything happening that’s not Covid or racial/indigenous/policing justice related? I know the journalism mantra, if it bleeds it leads, but I want to read about something else, and that’s not op-ed.

I know it’s mostly fluff, and still somewhat Covid, but this story was a good read, and gave me a little hope for better times.

I'm with you. we still get an actual newspaper and watch the 6pm news. I find I'm blasting through the paper and being bored by the news.

1592169893744.png

Updated...
1592170003039.png

From link.

Vitamin K found in certain cheeses may help protect against COVID-19, researchers say

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Patients who are deficient in vitamin K, which is found in certain cheeses, spinach, and eggs, might be more likely to be admitted to intensive care or die from COVID-19, according to Dutch researchers who are exploring the relationship.

For the study, which is still being peer-reviewed and has not been published yet, the researchers followed 134 patients hospitalized at the Canisius Wilhelmina hospital in the Dutch city of Nijmegen between March 12 and April 11. They then compared them to a control group of 184 age-matched patients who did not have the disease.

The researchers, who worked in collaboration with the Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht in the Netherlands, found that patients who had to be admitted to the ICU or died from COVID-19 had lower levels of vitamin K compared to the healthy group of individuals.

While COVID-19 was initially thought to be a respiratory illness, there is increasing evidence to suggest it affects other areas of the body and causes blood clotting.

I attended a Hindu wedding a few years back and if there are any similarities, quite elaborate. It struck me as a westerner that there were a lot of seemingly disparate things going on at the same time, whereas we tend have a more linear ceremony. Amazingly colourful.
I am sikh which is more linear

The joke about the Hindu wedding ceremonies is like you can disappear for like an hour and a half and you would have wouldn't miss much

heard cerb is being extended further...

frankly think it needs to get quite more strict and put people back on EI who are going to be long term unemployed.

cause a lot of people wont go back to work if they get 2k a month.

Trudeau said he'll be announcing details later this week, so it sounds like there will be changes, not just a blanket extension

Regional approach makes the most sense I think right now.

I am not hearing any other solutions apart open everything which makes no sense or lockdown everywhere which is moronic.

I was thinking that blocking international travel forever is causing issues and that when we reopen there will be a huge risk to the nation.

As a result, can we just force everyone entering the country by air (we can keep the US land border a separate issue) a corona test? Just designate Toronto Montreal and Vancouver as the only city taking international passengers.

Passengers would have to pay a fee (cost of the test) and have to wait a few hours to get a result back.

The fee and trouble would pretty much discourage a lot of travel anyways but it would allow people to come here if they need to.

Last edited:
A lot of logistical problems with that. If we required the test before boarding then we would have to have confidence in testing protocols of the country of departure. If the test is to be upon arrival, they would have to set up dedication labs (not assessment centre) at the ports of entry. I don't know how long the actual analysis takes. And once they are on Canadian soil, they are our problem.

A lot of logistical problems with that. If we required the test before boarding then we would have to have confidence in testing protocols of the country of departure. If the test is to be upon arrival, they would have to set up dedication labs (not assessment centre) at the ports of entry. I don't know how long the actual analysis takes. And once they are on Canadian soil, they are our problem.

Indeed - and pre-departure testing creates a false sense of security. Hong Kong does post-arrival testing - takes about 8 hours (arrivals had to go through interview, testing and had to wait in a special centre by the airport for the test result before allowed to leave for quarantine - and only after installing location trackers and specialized software on cellphones).

AoD

Back