News   Sep 13, 2024
 258     0 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 267     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 900     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Indeed - and pre-departure testing creates a false sense of security. Hong Kong does post-arrival testing - takes about 8 hours (arrivals had to go through interview, testing and had to wait in a special centre by the airport for the test result before allowed to leave for quarantine - and only after installing location trackers and specialized software on cellphones).

AoD

Can you imagine waiting for the results as this music plays constantly...
:eek:

Its only temporary and really if someone wants to come to Canada they can wait 8 hours.

Where? Pre-or-post customs? It would have to be a quarantine-type facility. Is there a spare hangar out there. Who pays? An eight hour turn-around means a dedicated lab. If somebody tests positive, does that 'taint' the whole room/flight? The folks that were repatriated at the beginning of this whole mess were quarantined for a couple of weeks (no testing). It seems we have trouble with testing and lab capacity as it stands. If such a thing came to pass I would change someone who "wants" to come to Canada to 'needs' to come to Canada.

Where? Pre-or-post customs? It would have to be a quarantine-type facility. Is there a spare hangar out there. Who pays? An eight hour turn-around means a dedicated lab. If somebody tests positive, does that 'taint' the whole room/flight? The folks that were repatriated at the beginning of this whole mess were quarantined for a couple of weeks (no testing). It seems we have trouble with testing and lab capacity as it stands. If such a thing came to pass I would change someone who "wants" to come to Canada to 'needs' to come to Canada.

Countries much poorer then Canada have already established Corona test on all incoming flights, so the issue is more a lack of will in Canada to do things that require much effort I think.

First of all the passengers can be charged a large fee for the test and program to be covered in costs.

Second, we can easily do this if we are motivated... if we can give CERB to 8 million people in no time I think we can test a few thousand people a day.

Third, people who are socially distanced and wear masks have very limited risk of being infected.

Because What is the solution?

Right now the plan is to stay closed and then just let anyone in after a random date? Right now people are flying into Canada that are non-residents and are family of Canadians now with no test or nothing.

We will reduce community transmission to near zero soon and then we just going to let people come in to the country with Corona lol...

Countries much poorer then Canada have already established Corona test on all incoming flights, so the issue is more a lack of will in Canada to do things that require much effort I think.

First of all the passengers can be charged a large fee for the test and program to be covered in costs.

Second, we can easily do this if we are motivated... if we can give CERB to 8 million people in no time I think we can test a few thousand people a day.

Third, people who are socially distanced and wear masks have very limited risk of being infected.

Because What is the solution?

Right now the plan is to stay closed and then just let anyone in after a random date? Right now people are flying into Canada that are non-residents and are family of Canadians now with no test or nothing.

We will reduce community transmission to near zero soon and then we just going to let people come in to the country with Corona lol...

In both the Canada, the COVID-19 tests are free. In the USA, the COVID-19 tests are "supposed" to be free.

In both the Canada, the COVID-19 tests are free. In the USA, the COVID-19 tests are "supposed" to be free.

True but if a non-resident wants to come to Canada its more then fine to be charged a fee for a test.

That is why i think it would be fine as it would discourage most non essential travel to Canada anyways.

This is more about giving people who really need to travel an avenue.

@Admiral Beez

I know your trip this summer has been called off, but here's some news about the theatre situation in London as FYI:

I had a cruise booked for October and just got word that it has been cancelled. I was going to cancel anyway.

125% credit for a future cruise or less than 100% credit -- I've only put down $50 at this point, so I'm not too worried.

Sunrise,

On a personal note re: are you depressed. Well I think much of the population is a little depressed. Me personally I’m doing well and lucky to not be personally impacted financially or health wise in my family or social circle.

No my recent posts aren’t motivated by depression or anxiety, they are motivated by anger and disappointment. I think it’s a great exercise in ferreting out the BS in our society, our weaknesses, our blind spots, our arrogance.

I use the word failure with specific intent. One of the idiosyncrasies of Canadian culture that bugs me (there are of course many positive ones as well) is the reflex to be defensive and deflect. I personally suffer from this. When there’s a problem or we did something wrong our first instinct is to defend our position and deflect to it being someone else’s fault or responsibility. If you doubt that this is cultural thing go make a complaint to a customer service representative in Canada, then go to Japan and do same.

Defend and deflect is what all our leadership in Canada is doing and it cost thousands of people their lives. Passivity over proactively cost thousands of people their lives and millions their livelihood. And we stuck it to the most marginalized and weak.

Nope, I apologize for my tone and I’ll get over it but I’m still pissed. Newsweek just came out with a list of the top hospitals in the world. Toronto was by far the standout with the most top rated hospitals in the world by far. Sounds great but put to the test our health system still failed.

True but if a non-resident wants to come to Canada its more then fine to be charged a fee for a test.

That is why i think it would be fine as it would discourage most non essential travel to Canada anyways.

This is more about giving people who really need to travel an avenue.

You can't charge enough to come close to break-even for the administrative costs (and in the end, that cost would only be a rounding error in the govenment budget). If we care enough about biosecurity, we would do it even without a traveller's levy.

AoD

Sunrise,

On a personal note re: are you depressed. Well I think much of the population is a little depressed. Me personally I’m doing well and lucky to not be personally impacted financially or health wise in my family or social circle.

No my recent posts aren’t motivated by depression or anxiety, they are motivated by anger and disappointment. I think it’s a great exercise in ferreting out the BS in our society, our weaknesses, our blind spots, our arrogance.

I use the word failure with specific intent. One of the idiosyncrasies of Canadian culture that bugs me (there are of course many positive ones as well) is the reflex to be defensive and deflect. I personally suffer from this. When there’s a problem or we did something wrong our first instinct is to defend our position and deflect to it being someone else’s fault or responsibility. If you doubt that this is cultural thing go make a complaint to a customer service representative in Canada, then go to Japan and do same.

Defend and deflect is what all our leadership in Canada is doing and it cost thousands of people their lives. Passivity over proactively cost thousands of people their lives and millions their livelihood. And we stuck it to the most marginalized and weak.

Nope, I apologize for my tone and I’ll get over it but I’m still pissed. Newsweek just came out with a list of the top hospitals in the world. Toronto was by far the standout with the most top rated hospitals in the world by far. Sounds great but put to the test our health system still failed.

Canadian politicians love Trump in that way...

Anything we do bad ,they did worse so they always look good in comparison.

Back