News   Aug 08, 2024
 375     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 999     2 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 476     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Nope, I apologize for my tone and I’ll get over it but I’m still pissed. Newsweek just came out with a list of the top hospitals in the world. Toronto was by far the standout with the most top rated hospitals in the world by far. Sounds great but put to the test our health system still failed.

Said it before, our medical system didn't fail - our healthcare system is heavily biased towards it over other elements due to the Canada Health Act - and it shows. Long-term care is, and has always been an afterthought.

AoD

My issue with CERB is that there seem to be zero parameters around the program when it will end because certain people will need it for a long time.

Defend and deflect is what all our leadership in Canada is doing and it cost thousands of people their lives. Passivity over proactively cost thousands of people their lives and millions their livelihood. And we stuck it to the most marginalized and weak.

Nope, I apologize for my tone and I’ll get over it but I’m still pissed. Newsweek just came out with a list of the top hospitals in the world. Toronto was by far the standout with the most top rated hospitals in the world by far. Sounds great but put to the test our health system still failed.

AoD is entirely on point is his reply above.

I would add; that isn't true across Canada either; BC handled this extremely well. They limited outbreaks in LTC. There were some deaths to be sure, but far fewer per capita than what we've seen in Ontario and Quebec, which is where things were really hashed up.

A huge part of that difference owes to Bonnie Henry, BC's chief medical officer who moved quickly, limiting staff to one LTC, and implementing rigorous Covid testing in LTCs early. She was also clearly up on the research, being an early emphasizer of enjoying the outdoors vs indoors with a much lower transmission rate as well.

She also benefited from a better organized public health system in BC with better data and real-time integration; as well as a law in BC which says that the BC Medical Officers' orders are law the moment she utters them, even before they are transcribed and published.

A whole series of things went wrong in Ontario and Quebec.

Some political, some systemic, all centred around LTC and public health.

But not around the hospital system.

AoD is entirely on point is his reply above.

I would add; that isn't true across Canada either; BC handled this extremely well. They limited outbreaks in LTC. There were some deaths to be sure, but far fewer per capita than what we've seen in Ontario and Quebec, which is where things were really hashed up.

A huge part of that difference owes to Bonnie Henry, BC's chief medical officer who moved quickly, limiting staff to one LTC, and implementing rigorous Covid testing in LTCs early. She was also clearly up on the research, being an early emphasizer of enjoying the outdoors vs indoors with a much lower transmission rate as well.

She also benefited from a better organized public health system in BC with better data and real-time integration; as well as a law in BC which says that the BC Medical Officers' orders are law the moment she utters them, even before they are transcribed and published.

A whole series of things went wrong in Ontario and Quebec.

Some political, some systemic, all centred around LTC and public health.

But not around the hospital system.

Not to mention, for all the bravado about ring fencing the LTCs (which is a purely provincial concern), the Ford government failed to do precisely that in Ontario. Speed is of the essence - and it was nary to be seen. What of infection control standards, availability of PPE. staffing and sharing of workers between multiple institutions? It's a pure system failure in Ontario and Quebec, not Canada at large.

AoD

Last edited:
Today's Ontario numbers are out. News is pretty good.

Cases up by 0.53% (173)
More resolved cases than new (220)
Deaths down to 3
Hospitalization down by 31 to 351
ICU down 8 to 84
Vents down 5 to 60

From the above link:

1592491251833.png

Some green shoots of proactivity and planning in the announcements. Contract tracing app, plans for schooling, Federal Provincial cooperation, mobile testing, local targeted testing. Amazing! We are starting to think about over 100 days later things it took South Korean leadership two weeks to implement. We’re almost 15% as effective as the Koreans. High fives all around!

Some green shoots of proactivity and planning in the announcements. Contract tracing app, plans for schooling, Federal Provincial cooperation, mobile testing, local targeted testing. Amazing! We are starting to think about over 100 days later things it took South Korean leadership two weeks to implement. We’re almost 15% as effective as the Koreans. High fives all around!

Not to completely excuse our slow rate of progress - but it is important to keep in mind South Korea is a unitary state, not a decentralized Federation where the role of the national government in health is rather limited - there is no need for Fed-Prov cooperation and umpteen meetings, consultations, etc, etc. The old adage - too many cooks...

AoD

Hard to make a unitary state in a big country.

100 years ago, I might agree with you, but with modern telecommunication? I beg to differ. We are stuck on this path due to historical institutionalism. Even the US is more centralized than we are - with a similar geographical reach and a far larger population. Australia - which is also broadly comparable - has also experienced a higher level of centralization than we did (just take long-term care - aka aged-care in Australia as an example - they have national standards; we don't).

What we love is spending time on petty, time-wasting interprovincial squabbles that is more about bumping up the popularity of provincial premiers over the good of the country.

AoD

Last edited:
100 years ago, I might agree with you, but with modern telecommunication? I beg to differ. We are stuck on this path due to historical institutionalism. Even the US is more centralized than we are - with a similar geographical reach and a far larger population. Australia - which is also broadly comparable - has also experienced a higher level of centralization than we did (just take long-term care - aka aged-care in Australia as an example - they have national standards; we don't).

What we love is spending time on petty, time-wasting interprovincial squabbles that is more about bumping up the popularity of provincial premiers over the good of the country.

AoD
The issue is this conversation usually turns the other direction based on who is in power on each level.

Course I'm not talking about covid-19 but federalism in general

Meaning there is no actual debate about ending federalism but more about breaking down barriers to a viewpoint.

My father-in-law is at the Sunnybrook Veterans Centre, who just released their guidelines for family visits. It is so onerous that it is useless unless the family lives near by. One visit by one person per week (no guarantee of weekly visits because of scheduling), for half and hour, basically in the parking lot, and the visitor must show proof of a negative CV test. Visits will be scheduled in advance with no guarantee of reasonable advanced notice. Up here, the turnaround for test results is a week and they are only valid for two weeks, so the wife could get a test but have it expire before the meeting is scheduled. People must sit 2m apart with no contact. That works really well with someone who is best part deaf and blind. She is really frustrated as she hasn't seen her dad since February.

My father-in-law is at the Sunnybrook Veterans Centre, who just released their guidelines for family visits. It is so onerous that it is useless unless the family lives near by. One visit by one person per week (no guarantee of weekly visits because of scheduling), for half and hour, basically in the parking lot, and the visitor must show proof of a negative CV test. Visits will be scheduled in advance with no guarantee of reasonable advanced notice. Up here, the turnaround for test results is a week and they are only valid for two weeks, so the wife could get a test but have it expire before the meeting is scheduled. People must sit 2m apart with no contact. That works really well with someone who is best part deaf and blind. She is really frustrated as she hasn't seen her dad since February.

It's no doubt difficult on everyone (esp. the residents) - unfortunately given the vulnerability of the population they are dealing with, any slip up would literally be deadly. They simply cannot afford not to be onerous.

AoD

It's no doubt difficult on everyone (esp. the residents) - unfortunately given the vulnerability of the population they are dealing with, any slip up would literally be deadly. They simply cannot afford not to be onerous.

AoD

What you're saying is true; but I think there's room to be more accommodating on scheduling/notice, particularly for those whose family live far away.

There is also a 2-hour turn-around Covid test now; and perhaps Sunnybrook should offer it to family, at least selectively.

Back