News   Jul 11, 2024
 440     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 570     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 711     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Sure, by all means. It isn't my mom that you are putting at risk.

AoD

my mom does not live with me anymore or else i Wont be meeting with him.

And as I said expecting young people to isolate for years to protect other people's elders is not a reasonable ask.

You can say that lacks empathy but that is the reality.

The death rate from COVID 19 under 30 is below 0.2%

20860.jpeg

It's not just about people dying. People are also experiencing long-term effects after being ill including changed cardiac markers and decreased lung function. It's not just a flu that you get over and carry on.

The issue is though unless you use the force of law you won't keep younger people at home for 18 months.

The fear of COVID 19 is getting less and less as time goes on in people's mind. They are more becoming focused on the effects on their lives. You see more people on the roads and things are opening up again. Beaches opened up in Vancouver and they got swarmed.

So that is why people CAN conduct some behaviours but by following social distancing and hygiene. If people wish to lockdown for a year, all the power to them.

Ontario asks education workers to fill staffing positions at hospitals and long-term care homes

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The Ontario government is asking education workers to voluntarily step up and fill staffing gaps in hospitals, long-term care homes, shelters and other congregate settings as those facilities grapple with the spread of COVID-19.

Premier Doug Ford said on Wednesday that health-care workers are the “true heroes” in the province’s fight to control the pandemic, but they need more support.

“We put out a call to the education workers to come to the aid of our hospital staff,” he said.

The government is asking educational workers who are not engaged in online learning activities, to volunteer at front-line facilities. The volunteer positions include custodial, maintenance, food preparation, children and youth service workers, social workers, and educational assistants.

The province said that all volunteers will receive training and safety equipment. They will also be eligible for Ontario’s temporary pandemic pay and emergency child care.

This is why we have social distancing and rules against more than five people together. Similar to this was the situation in South Korea where one person went to nightclubs and numerous people ended up infected.

mm6919e6_ChoirPracticeCOVID19_IMAGE_12May20_1200x675-medium.jpg

They don't know yet, because they are long term effects and will need to be studied for some time to come, but it could be a significant number
In another study, CT scans taken over a month of 90 Wuhan coronavirus patients found that of the 70 discharged from the hospital, 66 had mild to substantial residual lung abnormalities on their last CT scans, which showed ground-glass opacity, said a March paper published online in Radiology.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...lth-effects-can-last-long-after-virus-is-gone

Hospitals are also now confronting an increased need for dialysis machines because many coronavirus patients are suffering from kidney damage. Krumholz says a combination of factors is putting stress on the kidneys, including the virus directly entering the kidneys and the immune system inadvertently causing some damage.

I been camping in Algonquin and at Yosemite and other parks.

Can you swim though? The waters on this lake be rough and we only canoe in so there's a 50% chance everything gets wet and a 15% chance we tip the piece and go for a swim, gear and all. :D

Anyway, you're all invited....it's a big lake.

The engagement is perfectly fine but I know it cant withstand me following unsolicited romantic advice ....

Yeah, you tell 'em.

I loled at the "met in October, engaged in February" myself, but what do I know? I don't know you from a hole in the wall. You do you, the rest of us will go camping. ;)

...except Rick....he's firmly against.

I'm actually impressed that someone your age has been able to not be all up in their fiance's business during this. That should be commended, but isn't good enough for the love police up in here.

Deadly 2nd wave of Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 may hold clues for reopening today

From link.

At least 50 million people died from the Spanish flu in 1918

(1918 world population: 2 Billion. 2020 world population: 7.7 Billion)

As governments ease up on COVID-19-related lockdowns, policy-makers should heed the lessons learned from the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic and the potential deadly consequences of removing physical distancing restrictions too quickly, experts say.

"This is one of those rare moments that historians can actually more or less agree that there are lessons you can learn that are fairly straightforward and could be applied in the present," said Christopher McKnight Nichols, an associate professor of history and director of the Center for the Humanities at Oregon State University.

More than 100 years ago, the Spanish flu was responsible for the deaths of at least 50 million people worldwide — 55,000 in Canada and 675,000 in the U.S., including many people between the ages of 20 and 40.

The virus also came in multiple waves, the second wave in the fall of 1918 considered the deadliest.

"And in that deadly wave there was ample time to have ramped up procedures and thought about public health policy, phased reopening and closings and all that sort of stuff," Nichols said.

'Learn those lessons'

"And it didn't happen. And that's partly why it's so deadly. And so I want us to learn those lessons today."

Back then, in Canada, the U.S. and around the world, a series of restrictions were imposed in an attempt to stave off the disease. Those measures included shutting down public gatherings, closing schools and theatres, and prohibiting religious services. In some communities, mask wearing became mandatory.

John Barry, author of The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History, said many cities back then tried to reopen too soon.

"That was quite common," he said.

And he fears the policy-makers of today will repeat those same mistakes.

'We learn nothing from history'

"I quote [German philosopher Georg Wilhelm Friedrich] Hegel: What we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history."

Barry said he is particularly concerned that cities and states are reopening while cases in their jurisdictions continue to rise.

"That did not happen in a single [U.S.] city that I know of in 1918," he said. "They would wait until the curve dramatically turned down before they would take any action to reopen. So they were considerably more conservative."

Like today, there were people clamouring for the restrictions to be lifted so they could go back to life as normal, said Nancy Bristow, a history professor at the University of Puget Sound and author of American Pandemic: The Lost Worlds of the 1918 Influenza Epidemic.

And some cities attempted to go slowly, staggering the openings of theatres, opening some churches one weekend, then public amusement areas the next, she said.

"But in a lot of places, people were so desperate that [officials] would just say, 'OK, we're done. Tomorrow you can go do whatever you want.'"

But communities that imposed restrictions early, enforced them and removed them as late as possible — or re-imposed them as necessary — had lower mortality rates, she said.

Homes where people were believed to have come in contact with the flu were ordered to place placards in the windows. Many people didn't report their symptoms in order to avoid the stigma of having a sign. (Library of Congress)

"They couldn't know that in 1918 because they didn't have all the data. We've got their data, so we have the advantage," she said.

"We can do this differently."

One city that did follow a good path was Seattle, which imposed increasingly strict restrictions and kept them in place for five weeks. Officials closed schools, prohibited church services, shortened work hours and mandated the wearing of masks in public, she recently wrote in an article for The Guardian.

When the second wave hit, the city immediately went to a quarantine system and didn't end up having to re-impose tough physical distancing measures. Instead, officials put infected individuals into quarantine with placards on their homes as a way to keep track of them.

And the public in general was really compliant. And they did really well. They had half of the per-capita death rate than those of the hardest-hit cities," Bristow said.

In Denver, as deaths were decreasing, officials began reopening the city, culminating in an Armistice Day parade on Nov. 11. That led to cases surging again, prompting stricter measures, including mandatory face masks.

Many public health commissioners and mayors during the fall of 1918 and spring of 1919 would ratchet measures up and down based on whether phased reopenings were leading to an increase in cases, Nichols said.

Decrease in commercial activity

Still, as cities reopened, many people remained anxious about getting sick and returning to work, he said. Some cities reported a 40 to 70 per cent decrease in all commercial activity across the board even after they reopened.

Canadians have expressed a similar sentiment in the current pandemic. Results from a weekly tracking poll conducted by Leger for the Association for Canadian Studies suggest that a majority of Canadians want to see significant signs of progress before governments lift restrictions and allow a return to work. The poll found 21 per cent of respondents don't want to see these measures relaxed until there is a COVID-19 vaccine. Another 29 per cent said they want to see at least two consecutive weeks with no new cases.

"I think what one big lesson of that time is: Even if everything could come roaring back, even if you could flip the lights on to the whole economy, individuals are going to make choices related to their exposure, which differ significantly from the kind of ways in which this is talked about in political rhetoric."

Nichols said then, as now, there were a lot of suspicious treatments floating around. One 1918-era doctor recommended that people sniff a mix of boric acid and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) powder to rinse out nasal passages.

Popular theories spread that warming your feet would prevent infection, or gobbling brown sugar, or getting an onion rub-down. As well, purported vaccines were rushed across the country when there were outbreaks, and none of them worked.

"So one other interesting lesson from that era is taking our time to get the vaccines right. Makes a lot more sense than rushing out … miracle cures that then will make people more fearful or give false hope."

Back