News   Aug 30, 2024
 3.1K     1 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 704     0 

New Toronto Brand: "City of Unlimited Possibilities&quo

Re: eye too

home.jpg

I am warming up to the brand a little. I have not been in the office for a week. And I just came in today. And I have to say, on the stationary, it does not look bad. And my businses cards don't look bad either.
So I may be warming up to the brand.

SD2> Nope, not me. The editorials are officially anonymous though. "The voice of the paper".

Every time we go through one of these marketing exercises, the folks in charge seem to miss the essence of Toronto. Ours is a city that is only pretty on the inside. Viewed from a wide angle, we're kind of ugly and boring.
In my opinion this thinking is well represented in the Toronto Unlimited branding. It's simplicity and lack of real explanations encourages people to find out more. I don't think what Toronto is or the essence of Toronto can be shown to people, it has to be found.

Of course it looks good on business cards and stationary... it looks corporate. The problem is that tourism marketing isn't the same as corporate branding.

The evolution of Toronto's brand:

Toronto: You belong here -> Toronto Unlimited -> Rogers City

Enviro> That's funny but also scary in the true sort of way.

In my opinion this thinking is well represented in the Toronto Unlimited branding. It's simplicity and lack of real explanations encourages people to find out more. I don't think what Toronto is or the essence of Toronto can be shown to people, it has to be found.

I find the opposite - it's generic and bland. It would be okay if you assumed people were actually looking for information on Toronto - but this is supposed to get there attention and make them want to learn more.

But it doesn't offer any insight into the uniqueness of the city.

Re: New Toronto Brand: "City of Unlimited Possibilities

I want to see the NYT ad just to see how bad the text is, but even the short examples quoted here make me afraid.

I watched the "launch" video, and my only comment - which I emailed to them - was, "Why on earth did they use the American spelling of 'neighbourhood'?"

Probably the people in the marketing firm they used are Americans which have never been to Toronto, have no idea that Canada spells things differently... perhaps they also had no idea what Toronto is other than some point form topic points e-mailed to them by tourism Toronto.

Enviro:

To the branding folks' credit: I did a bit of research into the process in 2004 for an article that appeared in Eye. A number of the people working on the campaign at BAI in New York in fact spent a decent chunk of summer 04 in Toronto "getting a feel," as it were.

Some people feel things differently than others.

people working on the campaign at BAI in New York in fact spent a decent chunk of summer 04 in Toronto "getting a feel,"

Really? So they don't have a procedural excuse for the results. I am surprised that these focus groups that supposedly exist didn't come up with the same criticisms of the branding that the public is now. It makes me wonder if they had already decided which branding they were planning on using and set up the focus sessions to make it happen. Perhaps the choices were Toronto Blank, Toronto Limited, and Toronto Unlimited and the focus groups supported Toronto Unlimited. Sometimes public hearings seem to be run like that where options are already limited, the questions are already laid out, and the public is left to fill in pre-determined blanks to determine the best of the pre-determine options.

A number of the people working on the campaign at BAI in New York in fact spent a decent chunk of summer 04 in Toronto "getting a feel," as it were.

Yeah, I guess our rub'n'tugs are a real tourist attraction, they are

{city} Unlimited

Come to {city} to enjoy our world famous {festival}, {product} and {tourist attraction} . The {neighbourhood} along {street}, long time bastion of the {ethnicity} community sells a fabulous mix of {product}, {product} and {product} especially during the {festival} . World famous {creative person} says that {cliché}. Don't miss {artist} 's famous {artwork} is always in the {building} on {street} .

For those of looking for a nature getaway, steps away from downtown {city} is {body of water} and if that isn't enough {natural formation} is just a {distance} drive away.

Come one come all to see {city} Unlimited!

Back